Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 07-17-2019, 01:49 AM

Default The problem with automation

Hello, guys!

When I drag and drop any file from the cliplist to the session's timeline, to the place where some automation already exists, like volume or pan etc, that automation does not reset automatically. How to make it possible to drag and drop new clips without saving the old automation?
Old 07-17-2019, 06:31 AM

Default Re: The problem with automation

That's a feature! Not a problem.

But if you have PT Control on an iPad, under Auto Edit there's a command for "Clear All Auto."

Or, you could use opt-cmd-slash to Write to All Enabled to freeze the automation over that clip.
Old 07-17-2019, 11:36 AM

I think if you turn on automation follows edit (forgot exact name), the automation will zero out with new clips. Can’t test it right now as I’m away from my rig.

Got back to system, tried it, doesn't work. Never mind.

Last edited by BScout; 07-17-2019 at 04:46 PM. Reason: update that suggestion doesn't work
Old 07-18-2019, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reichman View Post
That's a feature! Not a problem.

But if you have PT Control on an iPad, under Auto Edit there's a command for "Clear All Auto."

Or, you could use opt-cmd-slash to Write to All Enabled to freeze the automation over that clip.
Thanks for the answer!

In my opinion sometimes this feature is uncomfortable. For example I often have to add different sound effects to the session's timeline during sound editing for movies. And when all tracks are displayed as waveforms, automation's curves are not visible. Therefore each time I have to check it again and again.

I encounter this problem not only with working with the cliplist, but also with workspace, soundly, etc.

Thank you for your advice! I'll try PT Control on an iPad.
Old 07-18-2019, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
I think if you turn on automation follows edit (forgot exact name), the automation will zero out with new clips. Can’t test it right now as I’m away from my rig.

Got back to system, tried it, doesn't work. Never mind.
It would be a good feature. Imho
Old 07-18-2019, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disound View Post
Thanks for the answer!

In my opinion sometimes this feature is uncomfortable. For example I often have to add different sound effects to the session's timeline during sound editing for movies. And when all tracks are displayed as waveforms, automation's curves are not visible. Therefore each time I have to check it again and again.

I encounter this problem not only with working with the cliplist, but also with workspace, soundly, etc.

Thank you for your advice! I'll try PT Control on an iPad.
If you're in post, you will want all of your tracks to be at some neutral setting for the entire session, and you should only be automating the section or scene that you're working on, leaving everything before and after at the neutral setting. Preview and Write to Selection are especially useful functions for working in this manner. If you start this kind of workflow, you won't have this problem. Make sense?
Old 07-18-2019, 08:36 AM

What Reichman said.

In addition, you can click the automation lane button on tracks to create a second lane (or third, etc) that keeps other automation always visible while the waveform view is always visible on the main lane.)
Old 07-19-2019, 05:18 AM

Thanks for the recommendations, guys!