Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2001, 01:36 AM

Default midi prefrences

Hello! I just purchased Pro Tools 5.0.1. congratulations me !!! I'm an "old cubase user", so my questions relate to the differences between these two softwares.

First question: Is it possible to "pre-transpose" a midi track (-1 semitone, for example)? I use -1 semitone for a "normal tuning" and my analog modelling synth doesn't have a master tune, so I've tuned it from Cubase's inspector.

Second one: Is there a prefrence which would shorten notes for few ticks to avoid congestion. For example, if I draw 1/8 notes continuously as a "AC/DC bass line" the release often muffles the following attack, or when triggering samples the same happens randomly. Don't say that I should shorten the note just a bit to avoid this and then copy it, because that's not the real solution to the problem.

I hope you can solve my problems, if there isn't a way, these things are my wish list for the future updates.
Old 02-04-2001, 08:09 AM

Default Re: midi prefrences

Quote:
Originally posted by zeronine:
Hello! I just purchased Pro Tools 5.0.1. congratulations me !!!
SNIP

Is there a prefrence which would shorten notes for few ticks to avoid congestion. For example, if I draw 1/8 notes continuously as a "AC/DC bass line" the release often muffles the following attack, or when triggering samples the same happens randomly. Don't say that I should shorten the note just a bit to avoid this and then copy it, because that's not the real solution to the problem.
SNIP
Try the "change duration" command in the MIDI menu. plenty of options there for globally changing the length by percent, clocks, and I can't remember what else. Should do the trick!
Old 02-04-2001, 08:48 AM

Hello Giles!

Thanks for the hint! I'm not at my workshop so I can't try it out at the moment, but I'm afraid this isn't exactly what I had in mind, please correct me if I'm wrong, but "change duration" is applied for a selection of midi notes or channel after having drawn the notes, but not automatically as a preference ( in Cubase there is a preference "shorten notes to avoid congestion") which is set as default.
There's no point in comparing these two softwares, but this is a very useful detail in order to keep concentrating on making music, not the technical stuff, you know...

cheers
Old 02-06-2001, 02:35 PM

One of my wish list items is for an "inspector-like" interface to globally offset track parameters such as velocity and key. Maybe 5.1 (or 5.2) will have some of these VERY useful features.

AFAIK, all midi editing in PTLE is destructive and not done on the fly as with Cubase, so you have to actually make the changes permanent - after the fact. I'm not aware of any "key offset" to perform on-the-fly transposition (playing in C but recording and monitoring it in C#, for instance).

------------------
LW

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.