Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools 2019

Old 01-09-2020, 12:48 PM

Default No sound from bounced mp3 file

[solved]

Hi there, relatively new user here. I've managed to bounce sessions to mp3 before, but something is wrong today and I can't work out what it is.

I had some trouble with the I/O setup when I opened the session, and did a delete paths and default reset of the busses. Then I could hear sound through my playback engine (Apollo x4).

When I do a bounce, I've tried the Mon L/R outputs, as well as the Virtual 1/2 outputs as options, but neither seems to produce any sound in the bounced mp3. Also tried physical output and output. (Attached screenshots of the options I tried.)

Outputs for each track in the session is MON L/R. (Also attached screenshot.)

(I had Pro Tools' sound coming through on Virtual 1 and 2 on my UA Console, which is why I tried that. But took it off.)

Would appreciate any tips. TIA

iMac (27-inch, late 2013)
macOS High Sierra (v 10.13.6)
Universal Audio Apollo x4 Thunderbolt
Pro Tools v 2019.12
[Amount of Memory installed where?]
attached peripherals: G-DRIVE mobile USB-C (containing the PT files); G-DRIVE mobile USB for Time Machine; LG screen for extended desktop

Last edited by rrsf; 01-10-2020 at 02:52 PM. Reason: problem solved. want to make sure new readers know
Old 01-09-2020, 01:59 PM

Default Re: No sound from bounced mp3 file

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsf View Post
Hi there, relatively new user here. I've managed to bounce sessions to mp3 before, but something is wrong today and I can't work out what it is.

I had some trouble with the I/O setup when I opened the session, and did a delete paths and default reset of the busses. Then I could hear sound through my playback engine (Apollo x4).

When I do a bounce, I've tried the Mon L/R outputs, as well as the Virtual 1/2 outputs as options, but neither seems to produce any sound in the bounced mp3. Also tried physical output and output. (Attached screenshots of the options I tried.)

Outputs for each track in the session is MON L/R. (Also attached screenshot.)

(I had Pro Tools' sound coming through on Virtual 1 and 2 on my UA Console, which is why I tried that. But took it off.)

Would appreciate any tips. TIA
hmm .. never tried to Bounce an MP3 in Multiple Mono Mode .. try interleaved maybe !!!

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS10.14.6 - PT 2019.6 Ended here ..
Logic Pro X latest version
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 01-09-2020, 03:23 PM

This is unlikely to have anything to do with multi-mono, which lots of people use.

The easiest way to not get sound on a bounce to disk is to not have a correct timeline selection made for when you what you want to bounce, especially to accidentally click somewhere and create a timeline selection out past the end of the session or of other silence and have that all off screen. Accidentally just toggling mute is another good one.

If that is not it...

Does realtime bounce work. That's normally a suspect if you have HDX but you don't but still an interesting question.

I don't follow all the discussion about IO setup. I can't work out if you knew for sure you have particular monitoring path working (and it was not say getting confused up with others through the Apollo console) and you were trying to bounce that exact output. The console metering should make clear what is driving what.

Still having problems make things stupidly simple: Use Built-In Output or whatever it's called on your Mac as the Playback Engine. Default all the IO. Now can you get that session to bounce OK?

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 01-09-2020 at 03:44 PM.
Old 01-09-2020, 03:41 PM

My first experiences with Apollo got me a few blank MP3s. Selecting another main output always fixed it. When things start working, it’s a good idea to export IO settings in Pro Tools and save settings in the Console mixer and settings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 01-09-2020, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1192 View Post
hmm .. never tried to Bounce an MP3 in Multiple Mono Mode .. try interleaved maybe !!!
Thanks for mentioning interleaved. I didn't realise that's how to get just one wav file!

Pro Tools v 2019.12
attached peripherals: G-DRIVE mobile USB-C (containing the PT files); G-DRIVE mobile USB for Time Machine; LG screen for extended desktop
Old 01-09-2020, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
I don't follow all the discussion about IO setup. I can't work out if you knew for sure you have particular monitoring path working (and it was not say getting confused up with others through the Apollo console) and you were trying to bounce that exact output. The console metering should make clear what is driving what.
The monitoring path is now working, but I can't tell, when I select the MON option when bouncing, whether it's able to pick up the signal from there, or whether having the Virtual 1/2 is interfering in some way? On my Console, the Virtual 1/2 meter is active during playback and bounce.

Attaching screenshots of my I/O setup in case there's something there that's creating the problem.

Pro Tools v 2019.12
Old 01-09-2020, 08:15 PM

Quote:
The easiest way to not get sound on a bounce to disk is to not have a correct timeline selection made for when you what you want to bounce, especially to accidentally click somewhere and create a timeline selection out past the end of the session or of other silence and have that all off screen. Accidentally just toggling mute is another good one.

If that is not it...

Does realtime bounce work. That's normally a suspect if you have HDX but you don't but still an interesting question.
I had to look up realtime bounce. It turns out I've been doing realtime, and I can hear music while it's bouncing. Maybe I should try offline?

Quote:
Still having problems make things stupidly simple: Use Built-In Output or whatever it's called on your Mac as the Playback Engine. Default all the IO. Now can you get that session to bounce OK?
I will try this next!

Pro Tools v 2019.12
Old 01-09-2020, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurtMesaMusic View Post
My first experiences with Apollo got me a few blank MP3s. Selecting another main output always fixed it. When things start working, it’s a good idea to export IO settings in Pro Tools and save settings in the Console mixer and settings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thank you! I didn't know about exporting the I/O settings. Opening different files would sometimes change settings and I was manually changing them back...

Pro Tools v 2019.12
Old 01-09-2020, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Tried this, and still no sound. What does that mean...?

Pro Tools v 2019.12
Old 01-09-2020, 10:22 PM

So you used built-in output? Defaulted all the IO (delete the paths and then click the default button). But what exact output path are you bouncing?

Try again with a new empty session. Have one track. Keep making it simple until it works. It's very likely something you are doing wrong/have messed up.