Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2015, 10:45 PM

Default Which Pro Tools 12 upgrade plan is better?

Hi

I've been a pro tools user for quite a while now. I usually always upgrade on the spot. This is the 1st time I did not upgrade I stayed with pro tools 11 because I'm thinking about buying studio one three. I have mixbus 3 I use for mixing only and I will be buying reaper as well for mixing in combination with mixbus 3 for mixing only.

That being said I will only use pro tools 12 or studio one three for recording only. Imho after I a/b a mix mixbus blows them out of the water, Sorry pro tools and studio one three you need to take a close listen to mixbus and see how much your lacking trying to achieve the sacred analog sound we all seek. Plus some of the short cut tools are way faster workflow then pro tools that's for sure and studio one has other faster work flow short cuts too then pro tools again imho...

A couple of days ago pro tools 11 for the 1st time ever deleted some of my tracks. I was in shock. This is alone has got me thinking to never continue on buying any more pro tools. Deleting tracks is unexceptionable for a working professional Daw, I'm starting to wonder if the name should be pro fools...

The major factor that has me even considering buying pro tools 12 is I know pro tools pretty much like the back of my hand,and finally pro tools midi is great, and I need my midi, I do remember many a times pro tools midi was unstable but I hung in there with them and they really righted the ship imho... but I'm still not convinced yet to buy pro tools 12.

This is what has been offered to me. Basically Id be paying an extra $99.00 for - Access to a collection of 17 bonus plug-ins and support.

HONESTLY are these plugins really any good? I ask because Ive yet to EVER use any Avid plugins. I've never been turned on by one of their plugins compared to whats out there on the market to buy. I'm very happy with my UAD, Plugin Alliance, Waves, and too many more to list. I definitely don't need more useless plugins. So can you please tell me what plan you went with and are you happy you did or do you think now you should have chose the opposite plan you didn't pick at the time of choosing?
  • Upgrade to Pro Tools 12 for $99 through the new All Access Annual Upgrade Plan, which includes access to all future Pro Tools releases for 12 months, renewable annually for $99/year
  • Upgrade to Pro Tools 12 for $199 through the soon-to-be retired Annual Upgrade and Support Plan, which includes:
    • Access to all future Pro Tools releases for 12 months, renewable annually thereafter for $99/year through the new All Access Annual Upgrade Plan
    • Access to a collection of 17 bonus plug-ins and support, renewable annually thereafter for $99/year through the new Annual Plug-in and Support Plan

Thank you!
Old 11-13-2015, 11:15 PM

Default Re: Which Pro Tools 12 upgrade plan is better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanrock View Post
Hi

I've been a pro tools user for quite a while now. I usually always upgrade on the spot. This is the 1st time I did not upgrade I stayed with pro tools 11 because I'm thinking about buying studio one three. I have mixbus 3 I use for mixing only and I will be buying reaper as well for mixing in combination with mixbus 3 for mixing only.

That being said I will only use pro tools 12 or studio one three for recording only. Imho after I a/b a mix mixbus blows them out of the water, Sorry pro tools and studio one three you need to take a close listen to mixbus and see how much your lacking trying to achieve the sacred analog sound we all seek. Plus some of the short cut tools are way faster workflow then pro tools that's for sure and studio one has other faster work flow short cuts too then pro tools again imho...

A couple of days ago pro tools 11 for the 1st time ever deleted some of my tracks. I was in shock. This is alone has got me thinking to never continue on buying any more pro tools. Deleting tracks is unexceptionable for a working professional Daw, I'm starting to wonder if the name should be pro fools...

The major factor that has me even considering buying pro tools 12 is I know pro tools pretty much like the back of my hand,and finally pro tools midi is great, and I need my midi, I do remember many a times pro tools midi was unstable but I hung in there with them and they really righted the ship imho... but I'm still not convinced yet to buy pro tools 12.

This is what has been offered to me. Basically Id be paying an extra $99.00 for - Access to a collection of 17 bonus plug-ins and support.

HONESTLY are these plugins really any good? I ask because Ive yet to EVER use any Avid plugins. I've never been turned on by one of their plugins compared to whats out there on the market to buy. I'm very happy with my UAD, Plugin Alliance, Waves, and too many more to list. I definitely don't need more useless plugins. So can you please tell me what plan you went with and are you happy you did or do you think now you should have chose the opposite plan you didn't pick at the time of choosing?
  • Upgrade to Pro Tools 12 for $99 through the new All Access Annual Upgrade Plan, which includes access to all future Pro Tools releases for 12 months, renewable annually for $99/year
  • Upgrade to Pro Tools 12 for $199 through the soon-to-be retired Annual Upgrade and Support Plan, which includes:
    • Access to all future Pro Tools releases for 12 months, renewable annually thereafter for $99/year through the new All Access Annual Upgrade Plan
    • Access to a collection of 17 bonus plug-ins and support, renewable annually thereafter for $99/year through the new Annual Plug-in and Support Plan

Thank you!
The issue with deleted tracks may have to do with a setting in Pro Tools to "Copy on import". It could of been that Pro Tools was only referencing the file in the original location which the (files) may have gotten moved. But without any more info about your setup or session and how you store your sessions and files it could also be another issue.

Good news is that all the plugins you use now should work in Pro Tools (AAX compatible). Yes, some would argue that the plugins out there (3rd party) are better than the stock. You can do plenty with the stock but UAD, Plugin Alliance etc.. add character, colour, sonic clarity (whatever you want to call it).
The added plugins that come with the support plan are added incentive. I use SPace and Eleven a lot, I think they sound great.

You really have to consider a few things:
Plugin compatibility
OS compatibility
Workflow
Price
Needs
Wants (Pecs)

I know Pro Tools. I invested in Pro Tools 8 LE with an Mbox 2 interface and have upgraded since (Student 4yr plan gave me 12 when I purchased 10). While I do enjoy Pro Tools, I have gotten to know Logic, Reason etc... If you already own Pro Tools 11, why not just stay with 11. Does 12 really offer anything new (for you?)
Old 11-14-2015, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guatamas View Post
The issue with deleted tracks may have to do with a setting in Pro Tools to "Copy on import". It could of been that Pro Tools was only referencing the file in the original location which the (files) may have gotten moved. But without any more info about your setup or session and how you store your sessions and files it could also be another issue.

Good news is that all the plugins you use now should work in Pro Tools (AAX compatible). Yes, some would argue that the plugins out there (3rd party) are better than the stock. You can do plenty with the stock but UAD, Plugin Alliance etc.. add character, colour, sonic clarity (whatever you want to call it).
The added plugins that come with the support plan are added incentive. I use SPace and Eleven a lot, I think they sound great.

You really have to consider a few things:
Plugin compatibility
OS compatibility
Workflow
Price
Needs
Wants (Pecs)

I know Pro Tools. I invested in Pro Tools 8 LE with an Mbox 2 interface and have upgraded since (Student 4yr plan gave me 12 when I purchased 10). While I do enjoy Pro Tools, I have gotten to know Logic, Reason etc... If you already own Pro Tools 11, why not just stay with 11. Does 12 really offer anything new (for you?)
Hi,

I have a feeling pro tools 12 does not offer me anything new. My main reason to upgrade was so I don't have to pay 299.00 down the road. I was thinking to upgrade for 99.00 then Ill have a year of future updates. But I have to check out studio one three cause I like owning my DAW not renting. Is this what happens after subscription only we basically rent? Or is it we just don't get any updates? I think it's we don't get any updates right?

Sounds like the pro tools plugins do not rival any of the above mentioned plugin companies. I had a feeling this would be the case.

Which is your preferred DAW? Could you please tell me why you prefer over pro tools?

Thank you for taking the time out to comment.
Old 11-14-2015, 02:14 AM

The key thing is that the $99 plan gets you updates for a year, but no support or plugins. If you don't feel you need the support, and are not bothered about the plugins (I already own Eleven and Space, both of which are useful, but I'm not interested in the stomp boxes) then the $99 plan is all you need.

I also own mixbus and like its sound, but it is just a little too restrictive to me in its gui layout and feels a little clunky sometimes. To be fair, I've not yet had chance to play with version 3 much yet, but I did upgrade (now there's a company that prices its software and upgrades competitively). I like the Pro Tools flexibility that lets you place any track or buss channel anywhere you want.

I use Pro Tools for tracking audio only, and mixing, but if there is any MIDI work to do, I either use Cubase (my preference, I've been using it since Atari days) or Logic, whichever suits the project best. Pro Tools is just too weak, not enough MIDI tools, but ok if you are recording MIDI just like you record audio, and just want to do basic edits. It doesn't stack up when compared with the others as a creative tool for MIDI though.
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)
Old 11-14-2015, 02:21 AM

One thing that came up for me yesterday was - how long does Avid provide maintenance or they abandon a version?

I just got a confirmation yesterday on a bug I reported on PT Express - click tracks are late by current asio buffer. PTE is dated march 2013 - and they informed me it's not likely they will fix this(but told about a good workaround). It's only on code based on PT10, not in 11 and 12 as I understand.

The statement Avid did on that bugfixes are free - maybe they are. But that also means that they provide any update. Formally they did not lie, you have to read between the lines what they promise and not.

The bug I found is severe in my book - you have to keep adding delay numbers every project when using PT click tracks - as soon as any plugins add latency. You don't use clicktracks through lifetime of a project, but still.

But it raise the question - how determined are Avid providing a troublefree PT experience?

The good part is once at PT12, you can assure getting updates for $99 annually, if not needing the plugins license needing the support plan thingy making it $199 annually.

As it seems OS updates are more likely to be the source of showstopper issues. So staying on the same machine, and change as little as possible and you might not need PT updates either. All working - don't fix it - as they say.

Hope you get some new ideas how proceed....
Old 11-14-2015, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanrock View Post
I have a feeling pro tools 12 does not offer me anything new.
This may be apply to ProTools HD users unlike if you have used PT11 Native because then PT12 (12.2/12.3+) will offer you a big lot of very nice new stuff!
Check it out there.
http://www.avidblogs.com/new-pt12-3-and-ptdock/

By the way you WILL OWN your license of PT12 for good, itīs not rented, itīs a perpetual license. The only thing you will kinda "rent" will be your eligibility
to receive updates/upgrades and support (limited one with the $99.- offer). And the ability to use the bonus plugins of course but thatīs not that important.

Means, you will own your PT12 license and you will receive any kinds of updates/upgrades for 1 year. This will include sub updates like from 12.3 to 12.4 as
well as main upgrades like from PT12 to PT13 which is not that bad actually. Unlike with prior versions of Pro Tools you will not have to pay anything extra
for the upgrades from 1 main version to another. It will be included in the annual fee for the upgrade plan as well.

And fact is if after that 1 year you decide not to pay for another year updates/upgrades again, you still will be able to use your Pro Tools (updated to this
particular point) without any limitations for good. You only wonīt receive any updates/upgrades anymore until you will get on the upgrade plan again by
paying the fee again.

Means, you will be able to use your Pro Tools forever on. Itīs just up to you if you will want to receive further updates/upgrades for it or not. For example
in the case you will have a version of Pro Tools which will be running flawlessly at this point it even may not necessary to receive further updates.
On the other hand if a few months later you will decide to want updates again you just can get on the upgrade plan again by paying the fee and you will
receive the updates/upgrades again.

So itīs not that bad actually imo. Pro Tools Native never has been more attractive before indeed. Itīs cool to have all those prior HD features available in
PT12 Native now. Itīs definitely worth the $99.- and even the $199.- for users of prior versions of PT. Additionally PT still offers the best audio engine of all
DAWs.

I have used all the other DAWs through the years and am still using Logic Pro X additionally to PT and I really would not want to miss Logic at all. Love it!
Anyway PT got the best audio engine as well as still the best, most logical workflow for mixing.

Once again, whoever will upgrade any version of an older Pro Tools to Pro Tools 12 WILL OWN his copy/his license of Pro Tools and will be able to use his PT
DAW for good! The only thing he will have to decide will be if he will want to receive further updates/upgrades after the included 1 year or not. Thatīs it finally.

If he will decide not to pay another annual fee/not to receive further updates for 1 year he STILL WILL BE ABLE TO USE HIS PRO TOOLS (updated to this point)
WITHOUT ANY LIMITATIONS! This is really important to know!

The "rental" thing is another, additional option to use Pro Tools Avid will offer in the future and has nothing to do with any upgrades now!
There ainīt no upgrades/crossgrades from prior versions of Pro Tools to any version of subscription.

The Pro Tools monthly/annual subscription option will be something completely different, only something additional in the future.
A 2nd option to use Pro Tools for a limited time only besides the perpetual licenses which every user will get on taking advantage of any kind of upgrade now.
Perpetual license means - the user will own it! He will only have to pay for updates after the included 1 year once again (if he will want to receive those further on).

The best of success to you, guys!