Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2018, 01:01 PM

Default Have to manually update the channel instrument every time you change an insert?

Let's say that I have a Native Instruments plugin as an insert for an instrument track (MIDI). Later, I decide to remove the NI plugin and repace it with an Arturia plugin -- basically replacing it on the same track, in the same insert location. Whenever I do this, the MIDI clips become disabled. To workaround this, I must go to the Mix View, and at the top of the channel is a section called "INSTRUMENT," which I have to manually point to the new plugin.

Is this just something peculiar to my configuration, or do you normally have to follow this additional, second step when swapping out a MIDI instrument plugin in Pro Tools? In other DAWs, once you remove and add a new plugin to the insert, that's all that's needed. There is no additional step required.
Old 06-09-2018, 03:34 PM

Default Re: Have to manually update the channel instrument every time you change an insert?

That's how it was originally developed and rolled out. I agree that the behavior should definitely be changed for this type of workflow.

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 06-09-2018, 04:58 PM

Default Re: Have to manually update the channel instrument every time you change an insert?

Not seeing that here - selecting a different VI on an Instrument Track changes the VI, and the MIDI on that track then triggers the new VI (the Instrument settings update automatically). Please provide steps, or a short video if possible so I can see what I'm missing. Thanks!
Old 06-10-2018, 04:30 AM

This is a bug that goes back to at least PT11. Sometimes one can change a vi and the MIDI in the Instrument track will change to look at the new vi and sometimes it won't. It gets worse if one has more than one MIDI track feeding another channel of the vi in the Instrument track. Those won't also change as well.

What seems to trigger this is if one does like Sig mentions and comes back to the track some time later. If you make the change right away things seem to go correctly and the MIDI changes to the new vi. Or if you close the session and reopen it and make the change that also will cause the MIDI to not follow.

QAPLA!
Old 06-10-2018, 05:03 PM

I can try to do a video to demonstrate.