Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2018, 01:05 AM

Default Can someone please explain this plugin window .. ?

Hey all,

I just watched this YouTube video off Russ from PTE explaining the UAD Fairchild plugins, and I noticed his plugin windows don’t have any options/menus etc .. at the top of the window. It kinda looks like he’s using the PRE’s within PT - but tbh I’m 100% unsure at what’s happening in his session.

Has anyone else seen this, or knows what’s up .. ?

https://youtu.be/VvaMn1XpLeM
Old 07-03-2018, 03:58 AM

Default Re: Can someone please explain this plugin window .. ?

Russ doesn't exactly explain how he's running the Fairchild's in but if you look at the inserts in PT you see a bunch of Blue Cat Patchwork instances. If you go further on in the video at around 13 minutes or so you'll see that when he talks about taking the plugin in and out you see the Patchworks instances go from enabled to disabled (or bypassed). That's what leads me to think he's running inside Patchworks. And Patchworks doesn't show plugin menus like for presets, etc.

Why he's running inside Patchworks I have no idea.

QAPLA!
Old 07-03-2018, 08:17 AM

He does a lot of reviews and has multiple DAWs running. Likely he installed the VST versions of the software and didn't get around to installing the AAX versions. You would need the Blue Cat Patchwork to make the VSTs run in PT.
Old 07-03-2018, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philgrab View Post
He does a lot of reviews and has multiple DAWs running. Likely he installed the VST versions of the software and didn't get around to installing the AAX versions. You would need the Blue Cat Patchwork to make the VSTs run in PT.
That's possible but highly unlikely. I say that because most people would let an installer do it's thing and install all plugin formats at one time. The extra disk space used is minimal.

QAPLA!
Old 07-03-2018, 09:21 AM

Not so unlikely if he came to Protools after he installed the plugins in another DAW. He might find it easier just to use that which is already installed. But I agree it's easy to install the AAX versions.
Old 07-03-2018, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philgrab View Post
Not so unlikely if he came to Protools after he installed the plugins in another DAW. He might find it easier just to use that which is already installed. But I agree it's easy to install the AAX versions.
What I'm trying to get at is that neither Russ nor most other people would just install the one plugin format. As you said he works in multiple daws and it only makes sense to install every format. PT is Russ's primary daw or at least it was at one point.

QAPLA!
Old 07-03-2018, 06:29 PM

maybe he has chains set up and saved in BlueCat for parallel and series. this isn't possible with aax versions. also bluecat hosting offers a wet/dry mix on plugins that don't natively have one which is nice.
Old 07-03-2018, 07:30 PM

The video edging towards 5 years old? Have UAD updated their GUI since then? The timing also puts the video after the release of Pro Tools 11... but before UAD actually even supported AAX64.

He is probably just doing what a lot of people did then, and is using workarounds to get everything up and running.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.