Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S4/S6

Old 01-26-2016, 07:33 AM

Default Major instrument track recording issue.

Into my 2nd week with my S6 and I've come across a MAJOR problem.

When I record to an instrument track in PT12.4 I get a MASSIVE increase in loudness of the overall mix. I blows my head off and the PT Master meters show an overload.

At first I wondered if it was a MIDI issue and it might be I suppose. I wondered if MIDI is getting through to the XMON and adjusting something. (I'm using a NI Maschine as a MIDI interface for the XMON due to a chronic shortage of USB ports! It has been working fine though.) However, this wouldn't explain why PT's Master meters are hitting red. The master speaker output knob level on the S6 isn't changing.

....But here's the really weird thing. I have 24 tracks of backing vocals routed to 3 Aux channels. I have 3 VCA faders/groups each controlling the level of 8 tracks each of the 24 BV tracks. The Aux channel faders are pulled ALL the way down so I can't hear the BVs. However, when I record to an instrument track, I can hear ALL the backing vocal tracks VERY loud even though the aux faders are STILL down!!!!

This is nearly a show stopper!!!!!

Any ideas?

EDIT: OK.... I discovered that even though the aux tracks for all the BV tracks are pulled all the way down and I'm hearing them loud and clear when I put an instrument track into record, I've found that if I mute and then unmute the VCA groups/tracks the BVs are assigned to then they disappear again. Furthermore, if I mute and then unmute all the other VCA tracks in the session, the session returns to the original level before I went into record on the instrument track. WEIRD!!!!!! HELP!!!!!

EDIT 2: I've taken EVERY VCA track and group out of the session and I'm STILL getting a major volume jump as soon as I record to an instrument track. But.... now I can't reset the volume jump by muting and then unmuting all the VCA tracks in the session.

Last edited by Marsdy; 01-26-2016 at 08:46 AM.
Old 01-26-2016, 10:41 AM

Default Re: Major instrument track recording issue.

It's happening with recording audio tracks as well. A MASSIVE volume jump when I hit record. I have to mute and then unmute every VCA track to reset the volume...

So....

I quit PT. Stopped WSControlApp and XMON loading at login and turned Eucon off in Pro Tools, shutdown the S6 and restarted the Mac.

Fortunately XMON was left in a state where it was still passing audio.

I'm STILL getting MASSIVE volume jumps when I record to an audio or instrument track. This is the first time I've used PT12.4

I guess this isn't an S6 issue fortunately so I'll post in another forum. Sorry to bother you guys.
Old 01-26-2016, 11:06 AM

On the off chance anyone is interested, I know what the problem is....

The WHOLE issue was caused by going into record with Countoff enabled.

I had Quick Punch enabled and happened to go into record when Pro Tools was playing. NO jump in volume. I hit stop, then record, then play, heard the countoff and got the massive volume jump. If I disable countoff, no problem, no massive jump in volume.

Why muting and then unmuting VCA tracks resets the volume I have NO idea. (Everything in the session is routed through a VCA group.)
Old 01-26-2016, 06:12 PM
Avid

This is already logged as a bug and is high priority. (PT-208770) Thanks for reporting.
Old 01-26-2016, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
This is already logged as a bug and is high priority. (PT-208770) Thanks for reporting.
Thanks Eddie. Thought I was going nuts!