Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2017, 01:47 PM

Default Digidesign/Avid PRE level problem

Hi there.

I have a Digidesign PRE (bought back in 2005-2006) that's causing me a little trouble. I rarely use all the input channels, but I noticed recently when using channels 5 and 6 for drum overheads that channel 6 is significantly lower in output volume than 5. Same mic, same levels on the PRE, but different recording levels.

I'm trying to figure out what's going on. Here's what I've tried...

—Swapping mics and cables
—Making sure all the PRE settings (phantom power, roll-off, etc.) are exactly the same for both channel
—Switching the 1/4 plugs on the snake going from the PRE to my A/D unit (an Apogee Ensemble) to different input ports, just to make sure the issue wasn't with my Ensemble—it's not
—Singing into two mics right next to each other, and switching back and forth between the two channels on the PRE to see if the metering was close

Now, as far as I can tell...the metering does look to be pretty close, but the output level is pretty far off (like 6-9 dB).

So, two questions:
1. Does that trim screw on the back affect the output level at all, or is it just for the insert on each channel? I've tried turning it, and I don't think there's any difference.
2. Is there a way to figure out if it's the snake before buying a whole new snake?

Thanks.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:05 PM

Default Re: Digidesign/Avid PRE level problem

I would try another DB25 cable on the output side. Each of the 8 outputs is balanced, and a bad pin on the plus or minus would result in a 6db drop in level.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave