Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 02-02-2003, 01:47 PM

Default Windows XP 64 Bit version....Faster for PTLE?

Looks good,
but will PTLE work with the Itanium?
Perhaps it's one of those deals where the code
has to be compiled with 64 bit instructions,
however 16 gigabytes of RAM couldn't hurt. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Quote:
Windows XP 64-Bit Edition will run on the Intel® ItaniumTM processor as the platform for workstation users who are reaching the memory limits of 32-bit systems. The key difference between 32-bit and 64-bit Windows XP-based computing lies in the 64-bit version’s ability to use much more system memory. Windows XP 64-Bit Edition will initially support up to 16 gigabytes of RAM and up to eight terabytes of virtual memory. Physical memory support will grow in the future as hardware capabilities expand. Data in memory is accessed thousands of times faster than it is on a disk drive, offering a tremendous performance benefit for applications that are developed to use this greater system memory. In addition, Windows XP 64-Bit Edition has been designed to take advantage of the superior floating point capabilities of the Itanium processor.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Windows XP 64-Bit Edition Overview
Old 02-03-2003, 09:41 PM

Default Re: Windows XP 64 Bit version....Faster for PTLE?

Good question.. I found it curious when I looked at the MS site about XP 64-bit that they are touting very large memory support as the primary benefit of that OS, and downplaying the benefit of compiling apps to 64-bit. They say "If you use only 32-bit applications and work with data sets not larger than 2GB, you will find that 32-bit, Windows XP Professional is the best desktop system for your applications." But it would seem to me that an app, like PT, compiled to run in the native 64-bit mode could take advantage of the better floating point performance. How about it, you programmers?

I haven't read up on the Itanium processor, but it sounds to me like unless an application is recompiled as a 64-bit app, the only performance advantage there would be is if you could run a system with a mess o' RAM. That way, you could keep your entire Pro Tools session in RAM until you save it to disk. Let's make sure we're running an UPS on the system! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Doug
Old 02-03-2003, 09:50 PM

Good Question!

Download free music at
http://www.nukmusic.com
nEVER uNDERESTIMATE kNOWLEDGE
Old 02-04-2003, 10:16 AM

Technically the current version of PTLE (a 32bit program) will run on 64 bit systems. But as far as an increase in performance...maybe minimal at best. That is until a 64bit version of PTLE is released. The Itanium processor has been around since the P4's began shipping only running on UNIX systems, obviously. Hopefully 64bit systems will start to become 'mainstream' (read: affordable) by the end of this year and PTLE 7.0 (you know, 24bit/192kHz/128 tracks with the ability to run 50 plug ins per track) will be fully compliant.
Old 02-04-2003, 10:46 AM

Lowfreq
Will PTLE 7.0 have dual processor support so we can have dual Itaniums? I'm planning on winning the lottery soon. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

dbrunell,
With 16 gig of memory the UPS better have R.V. batteries and diesel generator.
Still when you look at the future it seems like worries of not enough tracks will be gone forever.
Still there will be those who will complain that 128 is not enough and will need 256. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-04-2003, 11:04 AM

The impression I have is that it will be slower, if it works at all. This is because..

1. PTLE will need recompiling to operate as a 64bit app.

2.I suspect that the drivers for the card would not run because of 64bit drivers compatability issues.

Even if PT were to work, it would be running within as a 32bit subsystem talking to the 64bit operating system; the translation between each would slow things down. If you run a 16bit app on XP now you will find it is slower than its equivalent 32bit version, the same is likely with Itanium.
Old 02-04-2003, 05:17 PM

Even better Swap, dual HT enabled IA64 cpu support so it reacts like 4 CPU's instead of 2! Imagine the possibilities.
Old 02-05-2003, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lowfreq:
Even better Swap, dual HT enabled IA64 cpu support so it reacts like 4 CPU's instead of 2! Imagine the possibilities.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yeah, I hear you!
That should get us going until the
quantum technology becomes available.
How many qubits in your core?

Oh, shouldn't we be looking at a Linux version
of PTLE too?