Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 10-21-2002, 09:12 PM

Location: Middle of Virginia, just far enough away from civilization to be able to relax.
Default How Do Ya MAKE IT PLAY THE SONG FASTER?

I am wondering if this is possible since I have been very much of a failure at getting it to happen. (I know that much less complicated programs like Acid can do this, so I'm asking)

Thank You . . .
Mac Pro running OSX 10.5.6, using Pro Tools LE 7.4.2/Digi 003/Digi C24 w-DV Toolkit 2, a pair of Avalon 737 VT-737sp's, Great River MP-2NV, RME OctaMic II, pair of Mackie HR-824's, my best mics? a Neumann U87 and a Royer R-121 . . . best amps? Bogner Ecstasy 101B and a Bogner Uberschall-Revision Blue . . . All my drums are BFD2 triggered by Roland TD-20s kit, with live Zildjian cymbals, Korg Triton LE 88 with weighted keys . . . lots of other toys that make beautiful music . . .
Old 10-21-2002, 09:37 PM

Default Re: How Do Ya MAKE IT PLAY THE SONG FASTER?

well, dont know exactly what you mean, but you can use pitch n time, to make a file shorter or longer, or you can fast forward if thats what you mean..

be more specific.
Old 10-22-2002, 02:23 AM

Sounds like he wants to speed the tempo up???
Old 10-22-2002, 03:51 AM

have your song cut to vinyl. then get a record player and connect the outputs to the 001. then play the record of your song and put your finger in the middle of the record and make it spin a little faster. then record that on the 001. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 10-22-2002, 04:10 AM

That's generally accepted as the "Pro" way to do it, but there are some other options available to you within Pro Tools.

If you want to speed the midi up put the song at beat 1.0.0 and change the tempo under midi/tempo.

I'm guessing that you want to change the tempo of audio though. In which case there is a time compression expansion tool in the Audiosuite menu that will modify it. Caution-I've only used it on samples (which it handled very well). I don't know how it will sound on a whole song. But the only other option is replaying everything so give it a shot.
Old 10-22-2002, 05:40 AM

Some CD players allow you to increase or decrease the playback speed. I have often bounced to CD, then dubbed the cd from one player to another with the speed adjusted faster or slower (depending on what I was trying to do) and then voila! Be aware of course that you will change the key and your vocals may begin to sound "Alvin-like"
Old 10-22-2002, 05:51 AM

This is something that I have been using for a client because they weren't happy with the tempo of their song so they bring it to me to speed up. If you have decent ears you will hear a difference and it isn't a nice one. You can hear a one bpm change. You have to determine the cost/benefit. I suggest tracking the song at the right tempo.
Old 10-22-2002, 06:35 AM

Easy.

Arm two new tracks to record to. Set their inputs as the main stereo pair.

Press Shift+Spacebar.

Once recording has finished, pan these tracks hard left and right (if you used mono tracks) and solo them. Press play.

Voila, really fast!

Enjoy,

Haigbabe
Old 10-22-2002, 06:54 AM

Location: Middle of Virginia, just far enough away from civilization to be able to relax.

I'm sorry, I am saying that I would like to be able to quicken the pace of the session, without changing the pitch.

For example, a song has been recorded at 94 beats per minute, and you decide that you WISH you had done it at 106 beats per minute . . . is there a way to speed the SESSION up so that it plays the song faster???

I hope that's what you're all asking. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Mac Pro running OSX 10.5.6, using Pro Tools LE 7.4.2/Digi 003/Digi C24 w-DV Toolkit 2, a pair of Avalon 737 VT-737sp's, Great River MP-2NV, RME OctaMic II, pair of Mackie HR-824's, my best mics? a Neumann U87 and a Royer R-121 . . . best amps? Bogner Ecstasy 101B and a Bogner Uberschall-Revision Blue . . . All my drums are BFD2 triggered by Roland TD-20s kit, with live Zildjian cymbals, Korg Triton LE 88 with weighted keys . . . lots of other toys that make beautiful music . . .
Old 10-22-2002, 07:08 AM

consolidate ALL regions in EACH track to time 1|1|000 (the very beginning of the session). put your cursor at 1|1|000 and go to midi > change tempo and put the new tempo in and hit apply (in case your session has midi). then, track by track, select the new (consolidated) region and use the digi time compression/expansion audiosuite plugin to change the speed without changing the pitch. process each track and voila: faster session.

you may want to "save session copy in" before you do this (for file management's sake).