Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 03-29-2002, 04:20 PM

Default Advice on graphic cards

If it was to go with an Abit mobo (KR7A)which graphic card would you recommend? I have been considering one of the following:

ABIT Siluro 64MB DDR RAM AGP GF3-Ti200 TV-Out/DVI (retail)
---
Topedo ATI Radeon VE, 64MB DDR RAM, AGP, TV-Out,+ DVI, (Retail)
----
ATI 7500 64MB DDR RAM TV/DVI 4ns OEM
ATI Radeon™7500GPU Chip

And if some knew of these case brands to compare between, it would be great to know rather which one could keep noise away.

1. Bigtower Suntek Viper
2. Bigtower Chieftec

Any hint will be appreciated.
Thanks
Lalaman
Old 03-29-2002, 04:46 PM

Default Re: Advice on graphic cards

do you wanna play games? if so get the biggest, fastest, hottest most flamboyant geforce 4 you can afford.

if you just want to do protools and such, you might consider a matrox card (such as the G550) for proper dual monitor support.

also, matrox make the quietest cards i've heard as they use no fans but once the case is closed, the video card does not contribute much to the overall system noise.

~matt

ps. the tv outs on most other cards are pretty crap except for ASUS.
Old 03-29-2002, 05:22 PM

Thanks Matt,
no games,it´s only for PT. But I want to prepared to make some video for the music later on. ( And since many graphic cards interfere into other PCI bus when demanding power I thought more RAM would let them stay away.) Would the matrox cover that? And if it is sufficient for video editing ( ´ nice to safe some bucks with it ) which model of the G550 should it be?

Thanks again
Lalaman
Old 03-29-2002, 05:39 PM

sorry, i thought you meant actual physical noise. some cards have two fans on them that can cause quite a whir! as these cards are used in professional installations around the world, i guess PCI bus noise is not a problem.

the matrox G550 is one of the best and probably the cheapest 'professional' video card available. the image quality is astounding so video editing is no problem.

i think the base model is £90 but i'm not sure how that translates to the DM or EURO. make your choice based on the features you need. see info at matrox web site they have a german version of the site (i assume you are german from your profile?)
Old 03-30-2002, 04:05 AM

Hi Mattm,
good to hear that this card is not only less expensive and enough for video but that it is more quiet than the big ones. Because i would like to assemble a new PC that might be so quiet that I can get rid of the box I build for silencing. Then I can take the box to the bedroom for keeping bed covers instead, while it won´t disturb my eye anymore here in the main room.
Yes, I am from Germany.
Thank you for the good news.

Till next
Lalaman
Old 03-30-2002, 04:15 AM

I would always recommend to go for an NVIDIA chip (Gforce series) - it is currently the most 'compatible' chipset around, and offers the best 3D performance -if you do games and other stuff besides of your PT.
If you need dual monitor support and don't care at all about 3D accelerated graphics, then check out MATROX Millenium G4x cards
They come with the so called 'dual head' technology which allows to connect 2 monitors and have a double screen virtual desktop environment. yeah yeah, something the MAC community has known for long
Then you e.g. can have your mixer full screen on the left and the editor window full screen on the right 2nd monitor!
TV out on most proposed graphics cards is usually not practical, because you would only use it for video streams to a TV set.
Hope this helps you in chosing a card
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Lalaman:
If it was to go with an Abit mobo (KR7A)which graphic card would you recommend? I have been considering one of the following:

ABIT Siluro 64MB DDR RAM AGP GF3-Ti200 TV-Out/DVI (retail)
---
Topedo ATI Radeon VE, 64MB DDR RAM, AGP, TV-Out,+ DVI, (Retail)
----
ATI 7500 64MB DDR RAM TV/DVI 4ns OEM
ATI Radeon™7500GPU Chip

And if some knew of these case brands to compare between, it would be great to know rather which one could keep noise away.

1. Bigtower Suntek Viper
2. Bigtower Chieftec

Any hint will be appreciated.
Thanks
Lalaman
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 03-31-2002, 04:13 AM

Thanks Marcel
Old 03-31-2002, 08:10 AM

hi lalaman

hope the information was helpful.
i've been trying to silence my machine for ages. i never thought of using a big wooden box. brilliant!

~matt
Old 03-31-2002, 01:01 PM

mattm:
Send me your e-mail address and I'll send you a photo of the isolation box I built for my loud fan-o-rama.

I have an Nvidea Geforce3Ti and although it's a great card, I now wish I'd gotten the Matrox dual monitor card. One thing, if you do get the Nvidea, be careful about replacing the VGART drivers you may already have. In my first GForce installation, I went for the VGART drivers on the CD (Asus, BTW) and had big shutdown-hang problems until I figured it out.
Old 04-01-2002, 03:56 AM

Hi Mattm,

such a box can really help. But in 1-2 years remembering these constructions should be good for a joke. With AMDs next CPU technique and quiet HDs as the new maxtor noise level could come back to the one of early PCs. ... Hopefully. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Greets
Lalaman

PS. Should you still be seeking for a quiet solution. There has been tested a case as the best of known air cooled types ( 0,1 sone with tested system running idle )while not beeing expensive (~ 120$). Have a look at http://www.silentmaxx.de/st11.htm if you want. The model is named ST-11. But I am not aware if they ship abroad. If you need to know on any explanations there just copy the text in question and e-mail it to me. I can translate it. ( As far as my English is better to be understood then German. hehe )