Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2004, 09:47 PM

Default Waves Plugins or TC VOICEWORKS unit

I'm torn, I need something for vocals, and hooks Like more harmonys. I dont want to eat up my proccessor so dose anyone use external effects gear. I hear alot about the Voiceworks, and checked it out at Sam Ash, Seems like a great unit. But for the same price I can upgrade to Waves Gold. I have a Dual 1.25 G4 and gig of ram. The Wave seems like it kills my Mac with only a few plugins.
I like the sound of extrnal units better. But I may get more options with the waves.
Any suggestions?

Thxs
Old 05-27-2004, 11:12 AM

Default Re: Waves Plugins or TC VOICEWORKS unit

I am looking in to the tc powercore element(499.00). It has 4 DSP Chips for proccesing. Comes with a good plugg-in bunndle and you can also buy additional pluggins to run off of it. The only thing is that it is VST. You have to buy the FXpansion VST to RTAS wrapper(79.99). They say that it is working well with the Powercore. They also have the full bundle for(999.00). It comes with the mastering pluggin. You can check it out at www.tcelectronics.com The other option is the UAD-1. They have two differnt bundles with the same card. One for 399 and one for 899. They come with the FXpansion wrapper so you don't have to buy that. The only thing is I have heard that it is not working that well with the G5 so if you are planning on upgradding any time soon then I would look in to that. You can check it out at www.uaudio.com. This might just be my opion but I can't justify buying a waves bundle that I can only run a few pluggins without making my compouter crash for 1000 dollars.

Just my 2 cents
Old 05-27-2004, 05:36 PM

The Gold Bundle should not be "killing" your Mac. Which OS version are you using? Which version of PT?

I have been able to run 32 tracks and enabled the following plug-ins with no problems (knock on wood)
C4
L1
RenVerb
RenComp
Q4-4x
C1-2x
along with some digi plugs (EQ, limiter, and occasionaly a short delay)

Just pointing out that maybe you've got some underlying issues if the latest Waves package is dragging down your system.

Jace
Waves Platinum
NI Komplete 8
API 512c, LA 610
Some Mics, Some guitars
Some Songs
Old 05-27-2004, 06:05 PM

I would suggest waves, amazing plug-ins. And they shouldn't be killing your mac. Major artists actually master with waves instead of taking it to a master house so there definitley top quality.