How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2018, 06:10 AM

Default Repair disc permissions High Sierra

Hi,

is it still necessary to repair disc permissions in HighSierra?
There's no dedicated function built in anymore in DiskUtility.

I found that:

https://www.firewolf.science/2016/07...-macos-sierra/
MacPro5,1 ; 6-Core Intel Xeon 3,46 GHz, 32 Gig Ram, NVIDIA Quadro K5000 with 3 displays connected  OSX10.15.7  Pro Tools|HDX Ultimate 2023.6  HD I/O&192Digital&96&96i I/Os  D-Command ES  4xUnitor8 & 2xAMT8
Old 01-01-2018, 07:40 AM

Default Re: Repair disc permissions High Sierra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanswurstlsepp View Post
Hi,

I found that:

This was removed in Sierra.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7686946

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 01-06-2018, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanswurstlsepp View Post
Hi,

I found that:

True. However I made the experience that in some cases it definitely helped a lot to repair disk permissions. When I decided to install
SSL Duende Bus Compressor/Channel on my Sierra system Pro Tools 12HD stopped working properly.

After I had run my Clean My Mac app

https://macpaw.com/cleanmymac

it definitely started working again like before (with the Duende plugs included). This app does repair disk permissions "manually", among
several other services.

I'm aware of that the usage of such apps is highly debated among Mac users and I had waited a long time before I finally went to install it
on my system but to be honest I have not looked back since then. It has done a great job. Has NOT messed up my system at all.

So if repairing disk permissions is important to you (if you install new stuff continuously on your computer or you are doing a lot of web stuff
with your music computer as well) you might give this cleaning app a try. It has not let me down for about 2 years. Been really useful instead.

Anyway.

All the best to you.

Last edited by VRW; 01-06-2018 at 08:52 AM.
Old 01-06-2018, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRW View Post
True. However I made the experience that in some cases it definitely helped a lot to repair disk permissions. When I decided to install
SSL Duende Bus Compressor/Channel on my Sierra system Pro Tools 12HD stopped working properly.

After I had run my Clean My Mac app
https://macpaw.com/landings/land222?...SAAEgJhK_D_BwE
it definitely started working again like before (with the Duende plugs included). This app does repair disk permissions "manually", among
several other services.

I'm aware of that the usage of such apps is highly debated among Mac users and I had waited a long time before I finally went to install it
on my system but to be honest I have not looked back since then. It has done a great job. Has NOT messed up my system at all.

So if repairing disk permissions is important to you (if you install new stuff continuously on your computer or you are doing a lot of web stuff
with your music computer as well) you might give this cleaning app a try. It has not let me down for about 2 years. Been really useful instead.

Anyway.

All the best to you.
VRW - as much as I acknowledge your contributions to this forum this is one I can't agree with in any way. Those kinds of apps can end up cleaning out a lot more than you want or expect. You only think it has not messed with your system. I don't know how it even does permissions fixes considering Apple even removed the ability to do so in Terminal. Yes there used to also be Terminal access to repairing permissions but no more.

QAPLA!
Old 01-06-2018, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
VRW - as much as I acknowledge your contributions to this forum this is one I can't agree with in any way. Those kinds of apps can end up cleaning out a lot more than you want or expect. You only think it has not messed with your system. I don't know how it even does permissions fixes considering Apple even removed the ability to do so in Terminal. Yes there used to also be Terminal access to repairing permissions but no more.
Thank you. And I absolutely understand that. There has been really strong resentment to these kinda apps from many people
and I had waited a couple of months assessing before I decided to go with it once.

It was a positive DUC report from any studio guy (cannot remember his name though) which made me give it a try finally.
Just because at this time I started to use the music computer for several web applications as well and I had made the experience
before that this definitely had corrupted the system by the time.

So I went to install this thing and I even was prepared to face massive problems after a certain amount of time. But guess what?
Nothing bad happened finally. Even more it did a noticeable good job. On my system here at least.

And, yes, there is one particular service in this app which says "repairing disk permissions", among others. And whatever it does
in general, my system has been running great for about two years using this app and I already have experienced it solving some
"problems" from time to time.

If I would not have had these positive experiences over a longer period of time I never would have recommended it to anyone for sure.

But, again, I know that opinions massively vary on the usefulness of such apps and I totally accept it. Its just that I personally have been
surprised in a positive way by this stuff. Again, otherwise I never would have thought to recommend it to anyone anyway.

However there are millions of users getting through without ever using such an app which is cool. Basically there is no need to use it.
In some cases it can be ok though from my personal experience at least.

Thanks again, Jack.

Cheers.
Old 01-06-2018, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRW View Post
Thank you. And I absolutely understand that. There has been really strong resentment to these kinda apps from many people and I had waited a couple of months assessing before I decided to go with it once.

It was a positive DUC report from any studio guy (cannot remember his name though) which made me give it a try finally.
Just because at this time I started to use the music computer for several web applications as well and I had made the experience
before that this definitely had corrupted the system by the time.

So I went to install this thing and I even was prepared to face massive problems after a certain amount of time. But guess what?
Nothing bad happened finally. Even more it did a noticeable good job. On my system here at least.

And, yes, there is one particular service in this app which says "repairing disk permissions", among others. And whatever it does
in general, my system has been running great for about two years using this app and I already have experienced it solving some
"problems" from time to time.

If I would not have had these positive experiences over a longer period of time I never would have recommended it to anyone for sure.

But, again, I know that opinions massively vary on the usefulness of such apps and I totally accept it. Its just that I personally have been
surprised in a positive way by this stuff. Again, otherwise I never would have thought to recommend it to anyone anyway.

However there are millions of users getting through without ever using such an app which is cool. Basically there is no need to use it.
In some cases it can be ok though from my personal experience at least.

Thanks again, Jack.

Cheers.
That it worked for you is one thing. And just one positive report from a DUC poster (the one you cite) isn't enough to get me to try it considering all the bad things I've ever seen online about these kinds of apps. That it supposedly is repairing permissions in Sierra and above makes me think there's some kind of voodoo going on underneath that isn't kosher, especially given Apple removed permissions repair for us mere mortals.

On my internet machine I use script blockers so I don't have to worry about things getting corrupted and I don't go to questionable sites. I have everything blocked by default and only allow things on an as-needed basis. And I'd never use my daw to surf the net. But if you do get a script blocker. I use NoScript internet/Photoshop machine and it's a freebie. And I run an ad blocker as well.

BTW - the link you provide goes to a page with Clean My Mac Classic which only works on older OSX versions and not Sierra and above.

QAPLA!