Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 01-28-2011, 12:19 PM

Default Abbey Road 70's Drums routing in PT

Can anyone explain how to set up the Kontakt player to route the separate drum tracks into PT tracks to record? I saw a post online but I can't seem to get it happening,
and everything shows up in the same PT track regardless of what bus I send from Kontakt player (v4)
Old 01-28-2011, 06:20 PM

Default Re: Abbey Road 70's Drums routing in PT

When you have kotakt on a Mono instrument channel, load up the Abbey Road kit, then go to the mixer tab in the Kontact player plugin window. Under each volume fader in the Abbey Road mixer window, you can click the little field and designate the output for each drum channel.

You will then need to click on the "Output" button at the top of the contact plugin wind and add a mono channel for each kit piece and a stereo channel for the overheads and the room channels.

Back to the pro tools mixer.......

Create a mono Aux track for each of the drums in your Abbey Road kit and a stereo Aux for the overheads and room. The kick drum will come through the mono instrument where the AR plugin resides.

Next, select the input of the first Aux track and choose Plugin:Kontakt.....Snare. Now the snare drum will play from the AR kit into that Aux channel. Set the rest of the Aux channel inputs to the other outputs from Kontakt and you should be very close to a nicely miced up multi tracked drum kit.

I'm typing all this from memory, so I may have left out a thing or two. I'll subscribe to this thread to keep up with your progress

Hope this helps.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:56 PM

Make sure you've seen this thread--

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=287880

bang head on console.

Repeat..

I have the abbey road drums. I felt there was a leap in the snare hits between velocity assignments--A very small (non-existent?) sweet spot between not hitting enough and going overboard. Some nice sounds--I wish they'd come up with a dedicated instrument for drums with a cleaner editing and saving method. I find the whole thing with searching for sounds and saving settings in Kontakt and Reaktor an impregnable mess...
Old 01-28-2011, 07:16 PM

Great! I was missing this part.

Quote:
You will then need to click on the "Output" button at the top of the contact plugin wind and add a mono channel for each kit piece and a stereo channel for the overheads and the room channels.
Will try in a few and report back! So you have to save this as a setting/multi in Kontakt every time you want to use it this way? Will it save in a PT Template?
Old 01-28-2011, 08:12 PM

Yes, the routing within pro tools will save as a template. But you should also save the drum setup within the Kontakt plugin as a new .nki. Otherwise you will have to designate outputs in the AR Drums mixer tab each time you open the plugin in another session.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:35 PM

Still having a lot of problems with this crappy Kontakt player. Nothing is coming through anywhere but the Kick channel?

The Kontakt mixer output choices only show me Default, Kick and None? Where are the rest of the outputs? Why is there no outputs for the Hat, Toms, OH and Room?

I created channels in the "output" section channel mixer, and the names aren't showing up anywhere but in that section. Should they be showing themselves in the Mixer page?

Why can I not delete some of the channels like ST4? I never created that channel.

Is this player really this bad? I know it probably takes some getting used to but really????

Where's my EZ Drummer????? lol
Old 01-28-2011, 09:14 PM

Still can't get any more than 4 outputs in the mixer output section.

New tracks are not keeping their names consistent with the Kontakt "output" section

When I choose the output for the Snare, as "Snare", it comes out the Snare and Kick channels together. ....

Any videos on this procedure?
Old 01-29-2011, 07:53 AM

I've had the same unbelievably frustrating experience with the Abbey Road Drums. The design of the player is totally counterintuitive. Another non user friendly NI product. I did, however, eventually stumble on a way to get get all of the required outputs to appear. I'm not in front of my system at the moment but I seem to recall that it involved creating new output names and deactivating/ deactivating the player for each one. Sorry for not being more specific or helpful but I'll check on it when I have a few minutes in front of my computer. Banging my head on the consol was my first impulse as well.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:17 AM

Guys

If the Kontakt Player version is the same as the full version then you need to bear in mind that the "channels" in the Kontakt mixer are not the actual Kontakt plug-in outputs.

You need to route each Kontakt mixer channel to one of the plug-ins outputs that Pro Tools sees as an input source for an Aux track. You do this with the "conf." button below each fader where you'll see a list of the plug-in's outputs to the outside world.

Again, I'm assuming the Player version works the same as the full version. If not, just ignore me.

It probably seems more complicated than it needs to be but it allows for 5.1 routing etc.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:
The design of the player is totally counterintuitive.
To say the least..lol

So there's 2 mixers sort of? The old Analog looking mixer and the Kontakt "output" mixer. What are the outputs at the bottom of the old analog mixer page for? I thought those play a part in all of this, but I only get 4 outputs: Default, Kick, Snare and 1 other. What are those supposed to be set at? Pretty useless so far.

Then you have the outputs under the name of the kit in the player on top of the MIDI channel. Do I ned to be concerned with those outputs?

When I create channels in the "output" section of Kontakt, the channel names don't follow the plugin input names to PT, etc which makes it even more frustrating, and worse is that I have to close the plugin/session every time I make a change, are you kidding me?

I made a mono Instrument channel in PT, opened a mono instance of Kontakt, opened the 70's drums full kit, then made Aux inputs in PT for the Snare, Hat, 3 Toms, Room and Overhead channels in PT.

If I assign the snare output conf button to Kontakt Aux 1 out, go to my PT Aux track, choose Input/Plugin/Aux 1, the Snare signal is still coming through the mono instrument/Kick track, and in the Kontakt output mixer????

I assigned the Rack tom to go out what's called mo.3, made that the PT input source and it still goes through the main PT instrument channel...AWESOME!!!!!!

Still don't understand why I can't delete some of these output channels.

What am I doing wrong? or is this just a complete horribly designed POS? Not wasting my Saturday on this crap....

If someone can make clear sense of this and explain it to me, PLEASE chime in. How is it that EZ Drummer, Addictive, even Reason are not this complicated???