Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2019, 01:38 PM

Default Issue with spinning beach ball & blue DYN

Hey all, I've fixed the problem I was having, now I just want to figure out what was causing it.

I have a 2018.12 tracking session on my 2012 Mac Mini, MacOS 10.13.6, using UA Apollo interfaces (Twin Duo and 8p) and two Thunderbolt satellites. My session has 17 tracks right now - 8 are mono audio tracks and the rest are stereo instrument tracks - 2 EZDrummer2, 4 EZKeys, 2 Falcon and 1 Waves Electric 88.

Everything was good yesterday - opened up with no problems, playback was fine (buffer is set to 2048).

Today, my monitor was dead (LG UltraWide 34" - ugh! But, under warranty still!) so I had to swap in a different display. Now, I was using the two Thunderbolt ports on the LG to let me daisy chain like this: Mac Mini->LG->8p->TB Octo 1->TB Octo 2->Apollo Twin Duo - that all worked great. Without the dual ports on the display, I needed to take the Apollo Twin out of the loop since I only have a single TB port on the Mac - no big deal!

I do all that, restart and open up my project. As soon as I try to hit play, I get the beachball. Retried a few times - same thing. Started up and bypassed plugins worked, so I started to re-enable each plugin and VI. I got to my bass track (mono audio) and when I enabled an EQ on there, beachball. Maybe it's the UAD SSL plugin? Doubtful, but I reinstalled anyway...

Restarted, and same issue - beachball as soon as I hit play. But this time, I notice that on my two audio bass tracks, their "dyn" buttons are blue. I can't see if my other audio tracks are the same, as they're off the screen...

So, I futzed around for another half hour trying different combinations of things (Importing the session data into a new session - still no good) until I started up without plugins again, hid and made the bass track inactive, then imported session data from a back to bring in the bass track without the plugins. That worked. I then un-hid the original bass track, moved the EQ plugin (not the SSL, just the EQ7 from avid) back onto the track, deleted the original bass track, saved, closed, re-opened and everything was good!

So, what I'm trying to figure out if why were those tracks coming up with blue Dyn buttons? Am I running out of voices? I wouldn't think so - especially since I hadn't added anything from the last time it was saved...

Any insight would be appreciated!
Old 04-29-2019, 07:50 AM

Default Re: Issue with spinning beach ball & blue DYN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinDave View Post
Hey all, I've fixed the problem I was having, now I just want to figure out what was causing it.

I have a 2018.12 tracking session on my 2012 Mac Mini, MacOS 10.13.6, using UA Apollo interfaces (Twin Duo and 8p) and two Thunderbolt satellites. My session has 17 tracks right now - 8 are mono audio tracks and the rest are stereo instrument tracks - 2 EZDrummer2, 4 EZKeys, 2 Falcon and 1 Waves Electric 88.

Everything was good yesterday - opened up with no problems, playback was fine (buffer is set to 2048).

Today, my monitor was dead (LG UltraWide 34" - ugh! But, under warranty still!) so I had to swap in a different display. Now, I was using the two Thunderbolt ports on the LG to let me daisy chain like this: Mac Mini->LG->8p->TB Octo 1->TB Octo 2->Apollo Twin Duo - that all worked great. Without the dual ports on the display, I needed to take the Apollo Twin out of the loop since I only have a single TB port on the Mac - no big deal!

I do all that, restart and open up my project. As soon as I try to hit play, I get the beachball. Retried a few times - same thing. Started up and bypassed plugins worked, so I started to re-enable each plugin and VI. I got to my bass track (mono audio) and when I enabled an EQ on there, beachball. Maybe it's the UAD SSL plugin? Doubtful, but I reinstalled anyway...

Restarted, and same issue - beachball as soon as I hit play. But this time, I notice that on my two audio bass tracks, their "dyn" buttons are blue. I can't see if my other audio tracks are the same, as they're off the screen...

So, I futzed around for another half hour trying different combinations of things (Importing the session data into a new session - still no good) until I started up without plugins again, hid and made the bass track inactive, then imported session data from a back to bring in the bass track without the plugins. That worked. I then un-hid the original bass track, moved the EQ plugin (not the SSL, just the EQ7 from avid) back onto the track, deleted the original bass track, saved, closed, re-opened and everything was good!

So, what I'm trying to figure out if why were those tracks coming up with blue Dyn buttons? Am I running out of voices? I wouldn't think so - especially since I hadn't added anything from the last time it was saved...

Any insight would be appreciated!
Hi, i will take a Stab .. have you seen this thread .. ??

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=377577

if i find anything else .. i will post again .... i have been trying to Make It Happen here but no luck so far ..

cheers john

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 04-29-2019, 07:57 AM

I did see that thread, which had some interesting info in it, but I hadn't updated any plugins in between the successful session open and the one where I blueDyn'd™ :)
Old 05-01-2019, 07:58 PM

I’ve had the same problem and it seems to happen when I have uad ssl e channel plug ins in the session.

Mac Pro late 2013 3.5GHZ 6 core 64g ram
Mojave 10.14.5
Pro tools 2019.5
Apollo x 16
Apollo 16 mk2
Apollo twin mk2
Avid S3
PT Dock
PT control (iPad)
eucon 2019.5.1
Old 05-01-2019, 08:05 PM

Wow, crazy - same plugin for me. I’m using UAD 9.8 - you?
Old 05-02-2019, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinDave View Post
Wow, crazy - same plugin for me. I’m using UAD 9.8 - you?
I see that you and Sean are both running Apollo Twins. Could this be the cause?

Dave:
In your case it doesn't seem to be an update thing like in the linked-to thread but I wonder if removing the Twin in your reworked setup somehow changed whatever addressing scheme UAD uses for their h/w? Maybe it's the old thing of changing daisy-chain order to get things to work right like we used to do back in the old Firewire days?

QAPLA!
Old 05-02-2019, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
I see that you and Sean are both running Apollo Twins. Could this be the cause?

Dave:
In your case it doesn't seem to be an update thing like in the linked-to thread but I wonder if removing the Twin in your reworked setup somehow changed whatever addressing scheme UAD uses for their h/w? Maybe it's the old thing of changing daisy-chain order to get things to work right like we used to do back in the old Firewire days?
Maybe, I didn't even think that was a "thing", though with the TB devices. I ran with a twin and single OCTO for a few years before adding the 8p and 2nd OCTO last year - didn't have any issues when I added them. Maybe I'll ask the UA guys...