Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2012, 01:31 AM

Default mix down issue

Hello -

I'm a novice PT user.

When i bounce my mixes down to an MP3, the panning switches sides. The tracks I had on the left, show up on the right, and vice-versa.

Anyone know why that may occur?

thanks!
Old 03-11-2012, 07:44 AM

Default Re: mix down issue

Your monitors are backwards?
BLA AGB,Autuer,Lucid,
MicroCLock, Pultec, UA, Sebatron, Focusrite, Trident,API, A-Designs, Purple Audio
Old 03-11-2012, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdavis6406 View Post
nope. appreciate the joke, but seriously...
Old 03-11-2012, 10:45 AM

Had it happen to me as well. I just bounce as a wave and use another program to convert to mp3. Lots of free options for that, but I use WaveLab(they make a $99 version and it now runs on Mac).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-11-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Lots of free options for that
Yup - like iTunes!

Sparky
Old 03-11-2012, 06:19 PM

Quote:

Not necessarily a joke...

I just completed my semi-monthly rewiring of my studio only to find out that I had hooked up my monitors backwards, despite my having followed standard "red is right" practice. Which makes me wonder what else I might have screwed up, since I included a patch panel and eight-channel snakes in this rewire.

Wiring with a snake is complicated by the fact that you are dealing with eight colors of wire (or terminations). I do have a very simple method of dealing with this...

If the name of the color has an "R" in it, the wire goes to the right channel, if the name of the color has an "L" in it, the wire goes to the left channel.

For example, if you have a blue wire and a purple wire, obviously the bLue would go to the left channel, while the puRple wire goes to the right. Of course "purple" also has an "L" in it, but since the "R" comes first, it trumps.

Unless you have a case where you have an orange wire and a purple wire, in which case the oRange wire goes to the right channel, while the purpLe wire goes to the left channel.

When, as often happens, the only two wires you have left are gReen and bRown, you put a piece of masking tape on one side, then wait awhile until the dope wears off and put a piece of masking tape on the other end and try to remember whether the masking tape is on the left wire or the right.

At which point you decide it's all too complicated and it's probably all screwed up anyway, so you don't even try to record anything and just watch VH1 Classic reruns until it's time for your next semi-monthly rewiring...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 03-11-2012, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post

Not necessarily a joke...

I just completed my semi-monthly rewiring of my studio only to find out that I had hooked up my monitors backwards, despite my having followed standard "red is right" practice. Which makes me wonder what else I might have screwed up, since I included a patch panel and eight-channel snakes in this rewire.
Thanks, but the speakers are not backwards. They are playing properly in pro-tools, and when i mix down the session and play it back in another program - the pan's are reversed.

i'm sorry about your situation but it does not apply here.

thanks.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:21 AM

can we have a bit more info please ...

1) are you making the MP3's in PT ?
2) if not, what program are you using to make MP3's ?
3) when you say other programs, which ones ?

best way to test is to make yourself a Pulse track ...

One pulse for the left side and two pulses for the right side (over and over for a few minutes) ... we use these in broadcast / OB trucks to identify the left and right sides properly ... you can make that using the Signal Generator (in your plugin menu) ... if you need, I can make you one ...

I will be back in town tomorrow night ...

cheers fellow los angeleno ...

john

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 03-12-2012, 11:59 AM

Is "left" in your hardware setup really going to "left" in your monitors? (have you double-switched?) Conceivably, you could have left and right switched in your hardware setup, but then have the speakers switched, so your panning would work properly within the DAW, but the mixes would of course play back backwards because the speaks were still wrong.

Sorry I don't know what stage you're at in your experience with these things. It has never not worked for me--and if things are switched I take it as an immediate "user error" flag.

It can take time to tracks things like this down depending on the complexity of your setup. Are you using the same interface for Mac system out as your PT rig? That would be another potential source of confusion. Good luck.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:32 PM

[QUOTE=bashville; Is "left" in your hardware setup really going to "left" in your monitors?
I did that once thought I hooked up my monitors wrong but I actual had the L,R read R,L Its amazing how many problems seem to be just a i/o issue. Had me going absolutly bonkers when I first started out now its the very first thing I check for almost every problem.