Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 01-18-2011, 07:15 PM

Default PT 9 and Windows 7 major CPU spike fix!! PT 9 bug, with fix. Every Windows user!!

Ok,
5 weeks ago I upgraded to PT 9 and had been getting CPU spiking after using only a few plugins every since.
I did every trick I could think of having 15 years of PC tweaking under my wing.
Nothing worked, I did 5 different Win 7 fresh installs, CPU spikes still there every time.

I finally went hardware troubleshooting and finally pinpointed it to my AMD Phenom II 955 quad core CPU. After searching the web I stumbled across this:

Optimizing Windows Vista/7 Power Settings for Studio One

What is the issue?

Newer CPUs (Intel Core series and others) offer a variety of power-saving features. With Windows Vista and Windows 7, these features can be used to great effect, and some of them also improve performance of single-threaded applications. However, these features actually have a negative effect on multi-threaded applications that work near system time, such as Studio One and other DAWs.

These features include Speedstep (EIST), the C-States (C1e, C3, C6), Core Parking, and Turbo Boost. The following are descriptions of these features and their effects:

* Speedstep and the C-States (C1e, C3, C6): allows disabling or throttling of individual CPUs. While this may not hurt performance directly, waking those CPUs to full power takes time, leading to processing peaks and crackles/drop-outs.

* Core Parking: disables individual CPUs (normally the virtual hyper-threading ones) and is used for OS-based multi-core-scheduling. This also leads to delays on parking/unparking, causing crackles and drop-outs.

* Turbo Boost: enables internal overclocking of individual cores/CPUs, while at the same time shutting down other cores (keeping temperatures safe). While this can raise performance of single-threaded applications by up to 10%, the switching causes delay, and therefore crackles/dropouts.

All of these delays can additionally hurt internal bus communication, causing, for instance, issues with the FireWire bus. So, if your FireStudio, or other FireWire interface, is not working correctly, even though you have a nice big Intel Core i7 processor, this might be the reason.

What is the solution?

So, how do you avoid all this trouble? As a PC-user, you could go into the BIOS and explicitly disable these features across the board. But, you might be putting your computer to other uses where these features actually help. So, we created an additional power profile (Vista/Win7 only) which you can switch to/from at any time, even while applications are running.

Download the 'audio-power-settings zip' file and follow these instructions:

1. Extract the zip file to the C:/ root directory.
2. Navigate to the 'addconfig.cmd' file, right click on it and select 'Run as Administrator'.
3. A pop-up window will very briefly appear, indicating the command is running. When this disappears, the new power profile should already be selected and in use. Check this under Control Panel/Hardware and Sound/Power Options.

What exactly does this profile do?

This 'Audio Processing' profile disables processor idle states, processor throttling, core parking and Turbo Boost. You can go to the Power Options and deselect this profile at any time, if you want to use your computer as a low power media-server, for instance. Then, before (or while) running Studio One, select the 'Audio Processing' profile, and all is well.

To see the results of this power profile in action, open the Task Manager and view Performance, switching back and forth from the Audio Processing profile and any other. If this power profile has any negative impact on your system, simply switch to another profile. There are no permanent changes made to your system with this profile.
Get it here.
http://presonus.zendesk.com/entries/...for-studio-one

I downloaded it and installed, no spikes!!
That is until you restart your computer and run PT 9 the next time.....
Then the spikes return, because PT 9 has a bug that changes your power profile to High Performance when it loads and back to whatever you were running before.
Fix... just set the High Performance power option exactly as the Audio option after you install the the fix and CPU spikes are gone.
Quad core heaven without Windows getting in the way!!

Just thought somebody might like to know.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:48 PM

Default Re: PT 9 and Windows 7 major CPU spike fix!! PT 9 bug, with fix. Every Windows user!!

Interesting idea, but I already disabled Turbo Boost in the BIOS (as recommended for Pro Tools) and haven't noticed any problems with other apps. I mostly use the studio pc for audio and video production and with an I7 overclocked to 4GHz, everything's smokin'! (not literally) Maybe the power profile would be handy if you're gaming on your DAW??

Pro Tools 2024.3

Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 01-18-2011, 08:20 PM

Default Re: PT 9 and Windows 7 major CPU spike fix!! PT 9 bug, with fix. Every Windows user!!

nice post and good find. we've covered a lot of the the BIOS tweaks in the C2D and i7 threads...most 'em posted on page 1 of both threads. but it's always good to get another source.

here is a link that i think a lotta the i7 users could/might find useful. it shows how to only use 'specific' cores for an app. i think this would really be helpful with PT in that one can choose to point the app toward only the 'physical' cores WITHOUT havin' to disable hyperthreading in the BIOS itself. anyway, here is the link...http://www.techenclave.com/guides-and-tutorials/cpu-affinity-made-easy-67317-2.html Key and I started testin' it but got side-tracked and never got back to it. so maybe some other i7 users can check it out. let's us know what ya find.

oh yeah...look at post #20 for how-to's...

The Basschakra Lucid Soul Trip

i7 Builds - Specs and Results

HDNative | Omni | i7-3930K OC'd 4.0GHZ |
ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB GSkill DDR3 2133 ram | mo' stuff
Old 01-19-2011, 09:02 AM

Yeah, I didn't need most of those tweaks either.

While I think of these things - is it still recommended to set your number of CPUs/Cores to one less than you have, to reserve one for the OS?
"Well, of course, their requests for subsidies was not Paraguayan in and of it is as it were the United States government would never have if the president, our president, had not and as far as I know thats the way it will always be. Is that clear?"- Chevy Chase, Spies Like Us.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoRugMan View Post
Yeah, I didn't need most of those tweaks either.

While I think of these things - is it still recommended to set your number of CPUs/Cores to one less than you have, to reserve one for the OS?
On some systems (mine is not one of them) this does seem to add RTAS stability. Some VIs are helped by this such as "Play".

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com