Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 02-21-2017, 01:36 PM

Default Pro Tools HD shows up SOMETIMES. Otherwise, defaults to Aggregate RANDOMNLY

I have tried everything to fix this problem. I have alternated the cables, done different configurations of my Digidesign 192s into my core card. We even thought it might be a problem with the Core or Accel cards themselves, so we replaced those, and successfully ran Digitest to show that there were no problems there. I am running iOS 10.9.5 and Pro Tools HD 10.3.7

PROBLEM:
A couple of weeks ago, in the playback menu, HD TDM was suddenly not listed as an option, so it defaulted to Pro Tools Aggregate. I thought perhaps I had forgotten to turn my Digidesign 192s on, which was not the case. I found this strange, so rebooted the computer. Same thing. HD TDM was NOT listed as an option and it defaulted to Pro Tools Aggregate.

THE STRANGE PART:
Every once in a while, HD TDM DOES show up and I can run my sessions like usual. Thinking that I've fixed the problem, I try to reboot so that I can ensure that my system is now magically fixed and I can reliably book clients. Upon reboot, HD TDM sometimes shows up, and sometimes does not. It defaults to Aggregate in this case.

I don't want to book any big sessions at my studio until I can reliably boot the program using my HD rig. This is because I might be screwed (and have angry clients) if Pro Tools were to stall or crash. Then I would not be able to reliably bring the program back up using the HD Rig, as it might default back to Pro Tools Aggregate for the next two days (or however long).

I've talked to several Avid technicians who have tried unsuccessfully to fix this problem. Anyone have any ideas?

Thank you in advance.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:54 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools HD shows up SOMETIMES. Otherwise, defaults to Aggregate RANDOMNLY

i assume you mean mac OS 10.9.5? if so you should actually upgrage protools to at least 10.3.9 or higher. might help. or downgrade your mac os to 10.8.5
Old 04-21-2017, 11:03 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools HD shows up SOMETIMES. Otherwise, defaults to Aggregate RANDOMNLY

Hi, welcome to the community.

It sounds strange, so I suspect your core card isn't properly seated. Please re-seat your cards and try again.
Old 04-22-2017, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefpitas View Post
i assume you mean mac OS 10.9.5? if so you should actually upgrage protools to at least 10.3.9 or higher. might help. or downgrade your mac os to 10.8.5
This !!!

10.3.7 is a very old version and both 10.3.9 and 10.3.10 became pretty good versions and might be of benefit to update here.

Another thing / We had a similar issue with our PT10HDN and our PCIe card was sometimes lost on startup and we swapped the placement of the card to another lane in the Mac and that did it for us. No more lost card.

We went with the explanation that the Graphics card was stealing a lot of the allocated power for each seat. Maybe look at those settings too. How much bandwith each of your seats have allocated. The empty lanes need 0 so before you re-seat your cards, check that first.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 04-23-2017, 11:04 PM

Nice
I have the same problem! The problem is in PT10, 11 and 12
I am also on 10.9.5.

I stopped researching on this problem and stopped contacting avid support on this problems couse they have no ideas beside replacing the hd native card.

Digitests reports no errors.

It all started when I replaced my 6core mac to a 12 core mac.
The first weeks all was well and then suddenly the hardware was not seen anymore. I did not find a way to fix this. I have done all tricks.

The only fix is to restart the mac a second time. In rare cases a third time.

Then I normaly start my day with loading the core audio manager manually. Just to see if he finds the card. If the core audio manager crashes I know thre is a problem and I just restart my mac and after that narmally all is back to nornal.

I know this no help/solution.

Alex