How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2012, 04:10 AM

Default New Macbook Pro and Firewire/PT

Hi,
I have been reading a lot of speculative news articles about the new Macbook Pro. While the specifications arent obviously knowen yet, it seems likely that they wont come with a firewire port (or even the option for f/w).
Just wondering how we will move forward using PT for recording from consoles such as the SC48? Will we be stuck using Windows laptops which seem much less reliable due to the plethora of components and configurations available.
Any thoughts?
Old 04-13-2012, 10:35 AM

Default Re: New Macbook Pro and Firewire/PT

I'm wondering the same thing. I'm about to buy another MBP and it's looking like I'll just buy the current one when the new model comes out, hopefully at a lower price. I've been searching for "ThunderBolt to anything" adapters and so far I've only found ExpressCard adapters. So that covers MADI via RME-MADIface. Kinda hoping they release a FW-ThunderBolt hub with at least 2 ports.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:09 PM

Belkin will be shipping this thing any day now:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/09/b...-express-dock/

FW, 3x USB, HDMI, Ethernet, Audio, and 2 more TB ports.

Greg

Exclusively at the Miners Foundry
Old 04-14-2012, 04:01 AM

With current desks I would suggest to stick with macs and the models that have fw built in. There is way more than enough power in them to handle the 32 track recording task.

As for the future, I'm sure Avid, being a member of AVnu Alliance is working hard on the new generation of desks, that probably will be connecting to recording computers thru Ethernet much like Yamaha has shown with their new generation of consoles, so having FW, USB, LightPeak or Thunderbolt won't matter anymore. It's of course only my speculation, but is there any reason it shouldn't come out like that??

Yes there is, if Avid wants to sell us HW then it won't happen, but in that case it would be a very bad idea as competition has made it truly simple and attractive.

You know how big my PTHD recording rack is? Do you know how much I would REALLY want to swap that out for my 13" with just a network cable to track 64 tracks?? A lot, but not as much to dump my TDM capable consoles. But I'm looking forward to the release of similar system by Avid.