Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2011, 12:31 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 10 HD Native - what OS for firmware upgrade?

My experience - just moved from a PCI-X G5 with HD3 to 8 core Westmere Mac Pro HD|Native.

This is a brand new mac (10.7.2) and native card and came shipped with PT9HD. Here's what I did following on from what I've seen in the DUC:
1) updated the Mac to the latest version of the OS
2) fitted the HD Native card in slot 4 (thanks for this Buccanears) and connected the Omni
3) downloaded PT9.0.5 and installed
4) downloaded PT9.0.6 update and installed. At this point the native card firmware was updated successfully
5) downloaded HD10 and installed

The only problem I had was on the first start of PT when it froze at the creating DAE objects stage. I restarted PT holding down the n key and selected the built in audio and then changed to the native card within PT. I haven't had a problem since (yet!)

I hope this helps anyone else...
FaceBook
MySpace
Old 12-16-2011, 11:03 AM

i tried exactly ^^ this except im on macbook pro 17" with magma expressbox
and still it wont let me upgrade. error(-1166) im about to send the card to sweetwater so they can update the firmware, big bummer that these bundles are shipping outdated
Old 12-16-2011, 05:29 PM

Hi
I was wondering if anyone could give me detailed directions as to how to create a partition in osx lion then install 10.6.7.then how do I boot to that partition so I cans then install ptHD 9.0 then upgrade that to 9.5hd so I can then update the firmware on my HD Native card.After I update the firmware can i delete that partition and go back to using osx lion where pt 10 HD is already installed.
I am using a magma pci e chassis (single slot) with a macbook pro quad core. My interface is an avid hd omni. I have install disks for protools hd 9.0 and can update to 9.5hd
Is there anyone out there that is selling a retail version of 10.6.7 still?

I'm feeling like I'm stuck. Spent a boatload of cash and pt 10 hd won't update the firmware
(-1166)
from reading this forum it sound like the way to go is partition the drive and install 10.6.7 but i am a newbie and not sure of the steps to take.
If anyone can help that would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Neal
Old 12-16-2011, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pivazquezmorales View Post
i tried exactly ^^ this except im on macbook pro 17" with magma expressbox
and still it wont let me upgrade. error(-1166) im about to send the card to sweetwater so they can update the firmware, big bummer that these bundles are shipping outdated
I am having the same problem. Can you post if you get your problem solved . I have the very same setup as you do and I get the -1166 error as well
This really sucks. been down for days now and no idea how to fix this problem. I can't find a copy of 10.6.7 and i don't even know how to partition the drive and try to update as some have suggested on this forum

let me know if you have any success
Thanks so much in advance
Neal
Old 12-16-2011, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nneeaall69 View Post
I am having the same problem. Can you post if you get your problem solved . I have the very same setup as you do and I get the -1166 error as well
This really sucks. been down for days now and no idea how to fix this problem. I can't find a copy of 10.6.7 and i don't even know how to partition the drive and try to update as some have suggested on this forum

let me know if you have any success
Thanks so much in advance
Neal
Do you have a disk with any version of Snow Leopard on it? If so, use that to install SL and then download the combo updater for 10.6.7 from Apple at: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1361

Almost forgot - if your Mac came with Lion on it then you can't backdate to any version of SL. Something about the efi on the motherboard got changed to disallow going back to an earlier version of OSX.

QAPLA!
Old 12-16-2011, 10:59 PM

How does one check firmware version on the HD natice card?
Old 12-17-2011, 01:09 AM

Just want to confirm what others have reported. I just picked up 2 HD Native cards from my dealer today. Both are upgrades and therefore had to be ordered from Avid, i.e. this is not old dealer stock, this is Avid's old stock. I'm in LA, major market, major dealer. I have been with this dealer for more than 10 years. In the box is indeed PT9 which means for sure the cards have the old firmware on them. Dealer specifically told me Avid is not through their old stock yet so they're still shipping this way. I guess the demand was not as high as anticipated.

Total BS! Not only on the firmware front but also in the fact that now I have to spend time downloading a complete install of PT10HD. For people spending thou$and$ of dollars, not cool at all. Totally typical, but NOT COOL. For what other purchase would this be acceptable?
Old 12-17-2011, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger View Post
Just want to confirm what others have reported. I just picked up 2 HD Native cards from my dealer today. Both are upgrades and therefore had to be ordered from Avid, i.e. this is not old dealer stock, this is Avid's old stock. I'm in LA, major market, major dealer. I have been with this dealer for more than 10 years. In the box is indeed PT9 which means for sure the cards have the old firmware on them. Dealer specifically told me Avid is not through their old stock yet so they're still shipping this way. I guess the demand was not as high as anticipated.

Total BS! Not only on the firmware front but also in the fact that now I have to spend time downloading a complete install of PT10HD. For people spending thou$and$ of dollars, not cool at all. Totally typical, but NOT COOL. For what other purchase would this be acceptable?
This is bad - I wonder how big the back stock of Native cards Avid has? And if indeed they do have a lot of stock why are some people posting here they're having problems getting cards?

Spending time to download PT10 shouldn't be a problem if you're on a fast connection. Start the download, take a break and when you come back it's done.

QAPLA!
Old 12-17-2011, 04:46 AM

i figure out is not my problem, its avids and the dealers problem, the dealers should take note of this and before selling it, advice there clients and avid should ship updated bundles. i paid all this $$ for an outdated bundle and some one needs to fix it.

so what i did was send my card to sweetwater fedex, and they will update to send back. im tired of the hassle after paying all this $$, so let them work the problem. i should have my card by tuesday.
Old 12-17-2011, 05:20 AM

A modest suggestion to all contemplating buying HD Native - before you click on purchase online or however you're buying the stuff - get your seller to update the card for you. Tell them what's going on with Avid and the way those on Macs are in a severe bind when trying to update a card. This way you're not going back and forth with the card (the seller shipping it to you, you can't update it, sending the card back, etc.). Sweetwater touts themselves as being tops in PT support - let's see if they'll indeed back that claim up. Or any other vendor that says they have excellent support. It's not like Sweetwater doesn't do extra things to stuff they sell - os updates on synths are just one.

If a salesperson wants & needs that commission they'll do what they can to make you happy. If they can't or won't then go elsewheres.

QAPLA!