Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2008, 06:04 AM
Banned

Default Re: Elastic Audio sonic quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmazurek View Post
Wow, I make a simple post arguing against anonymity on audio forums and this is your response? Nice talking to you.
hello,

don't mention it.

digilom
Old 11-16-2008, 06:12 AM

Either way, neither of you are currently contributing to this thread at this point.

Can we move on now?

So how 'bout them algos?

cheers,
rich
Old 11-16-2008, 07:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdolmat View Post
Either way, neither of you are currently contributing to this thread at this point.

Can we move on now?

So how 'bout them algos?
hello,

well it seems to me that if they are going to be included with the software then they should be high quality. and you should use them for good, and not evil. :)

but honestly, that kind of stuff is always going to screw with the audio, by its very nature, so you're better off using it sparingly.

by the way, i have never argued against fixing things [audio, or toasters, or anything else that needs fixing], merely that there is a point were it descends into absurdity and becomes detrimental to both the art and the business.

digilom
Old 11-16-2008, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digilogin View Post
hello,

well it seems to me that if they are going to be included with the software then they should be high quality. and you should use them for good, and not evil. :)

but honestly, that kind of stuff is always going to screw with the audio, by its very nature, so you're better off using it sparingly.

by the way, i have never argued against fixing things [audio, or toasters, or anything else that needs fixing], merely that there is a point were it descends into absurdity and becomes detrimental to both the art and the business.

digilom
I agree!!

cheers,
rich
Old 11-16-2008, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Well Put!!!
Old 11-16-2008, 07:54 AM

BDWillis, I woudn't agree with the majority of your post. EA is infact used on Professional records and not demo's. I would argue the quality is very good compared to competing DAW's if not the best. As far as accuracy with regards to hit detection/frequency analysis and determining the correct BPM, Pro Tools is better than Ableton/Cubase and many of the ones that were the leaders until EA came out. When I compared them I found Digi's to be very accurate. Sound Quality is a subjective subject - I think Digi's is very good but could be improved (the weird artifacts I think are due to a few different factors, detection, material and operator use). I don't think I've had the same negative experience as you. Also, my understanding is they did much comparison before releasing the algorithms but are still working to improve it. If you think about it, the algorithms are basically in their infancy still and I'm sure they will mature and grow in the coming versions of Pro Tools

But I do agree Digi should at least give you the option for Pitch N Time or for users to use other algorithms should they want to. Actually, I spoke to Serato about this exact request and they said they've been asking for this feature but it's apparently a big request/feat and will take time before we see it happen.

Old 11-16-2008, 10:19 AM

Quote:

digilom
Where's that point? What's absurd? How can you quantify art so as to call something detrimental to it?

This thread should be about using Pro Tools, however we want to use it. It's not a forum to make some moral judgment on my choice to use the tools available to me to do my job.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premo View Post
BDWillis, I woudn't agree with the majority of your post. EA is infact used on Professional records and not demo's.
Premo,

You might want to Google "Brian David Willis" He is "the guy" working on the professional records. If anyone knows about editing for major labels it is Brian.

We are not talking from lack of experience, the algos are not up to the task "professionally". Serato's Pitch N' Time Pro is so far beyond elastic audio that I do not use EA except to create a visual reference track as I think Brian mentioned also doing.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:56 AM

Until EA allows third-party algorithms (like Waves Soundshifter, for example), it will never reach it's true potential. The difference between EA and Waves Soundshifter on things like piano and guitar is huge.
Old 11-16-2008, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dann View Post
Until EA allows third-party algorithms (like Waves Soundshifter, for example), it will never reach it's true potential. The difference between EA and Waves Soundshifter on things like piano and guitar is huge.

here's another vote for EA accessing the algo's of Waves SoundShifter (my own fave) and PnT

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread...59#post1184859
check out post #12 for an official word about this...

has anyone heard news of a change of plans by Digi's programmers? is anyone from Digi going to comment about this possibility? (SessionKat, you around?)

My own experience has been the same as many others here, EA works great sometimes, but has some show stopping problems. I think you have to use it very sparingly on acoustic insts, and I'm sticking with good ol BD for drums. I seem to end up doing a hybrid style on acoustic stuff, EA and then lots of replacing the garbage created by the processing.

It can be perfect on synths, e gtrs, and bv's though, and for that much alone I am grateful!

Last edited by Captain Crunch; 11-16-2008 at 02:20 PM. Reason: clarification