Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2014, 10:29 AM

Default Re: Good news Autotune will be DSP

Anyone heard anything???? I also get requests once a week to track with auto tune. before upgrading to PT 11 i used my auto tune all the time with the hip hop guys. Some of them cant even do a part unless they hear it on their voice when they do it. Sad, yes i know but i do my best to accommodate them.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:46 AM

Ha! I saw this old thread revived and thought something good may have happened. I guess not.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 06-24-2014, 11:12 AM

Our studio picked up AutoTune 7 TDM in hopes that it would become AAX DSP eventually. Seeing as that isn't happening any time soon, we contacted Antares about getting a discount on AT Live. They gave us a code to get it for $99. AT Live works well and has little latency.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:30 PM

Autotune AAX Live is a joke like anything AAX Native. I've been using pro tools TDM ofr over 10 years recording A list artist and moved on to PT 11 HDX.
WHAT A MISTAKE!!!!
I can't record a session live anymore the way I used to.
LATENCY is a JOKE.
The whole HDX thing is such a joke.
I'm surprised more people aren't up in arms. Then again I'm guessing people haven't updated yet.
That'll teach me to trust AVID.
Old 06-24-2014, 03:42 PM

I hear ya. I have an HDX system that I never use. It's gathering dust in a closet. I use my HD 6 TDM system running Pro Tools 10 in order to get work done and earn my livelihood. No way that that would work without enough DSP plugins being available for HDX. The ones that are presently available mostly are not my cup of tea. The lack of anything from Soundtoys for one is just the starting point of the present list of lacking nessecary AAX tools.
Old 06-24-2014, 05:20 PM

By the way, HDX will never work.
If all plugins were to go DSP then we wouldn't have enough DSP power with the HDX cards. Avid is full of crap when they say HDX is more powerfull than TDM.
YEah, if you use all your plugins in Native but we don't want that!!!
Old 07-16-2014, 08:12 AM

i was looking for any news about AT DSP and saw these comments about PT 11 HDX.

im going to disagree, and provide some valid info for those who care.

i was a long time user of TDM. i made the switch at the very beginning of PT10 HDX. i had to do this as i was buying a new system.

i to was disappointed about the lack of DSP plugs. over the past 2 years i gathered all the plugs for Native 64 bit AAX and DSP. i stayed with PT10 as i did not feel comfortable with 11.
until one day i was doing a huge mix and found that 10 was having some strange timing / latency issues. it was directly connected to the number and types of plugs being used and i was unable to mix this session the way i wanted.

out of curiosity i open the session in PT11 and boom it was tight. not only tight but sounded amazing. i quickly got a few native plug upgrades so i could complete my huge list of native AAX 64bit plugs.
i had everything covered and wow i cant believe how good it sounds.

i had my other engineers confirm this and its was verified that PT11 does sound better.....and the mixes are tighter with latency.
i can do huge mixes with tons of hungry plugs without worry of plug in timing issues.

as far as tracking with AT, no problem. although i cant put it on a record track i can put it on aux tracks and route it to a record track or from the record track monitor it on an aux track. it may be a little bit more effort but its well worth the trade off.

i keep the latency down but just lowering my H/W buffer as much as possible. i get no complaints.

i hope some day AT and waves will have a DSP version but until then im really blown away by the sound of my mixes and so are my clients....

cheers,
mike fennel
head engineer Universal Music Pub Group.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul B. View Post
By the way, HDX will never work.
If all plugins were to go DSP then we wouldn't have enough DSP power with the HDX cards. Avid is full of crap when they say HDX is more powerfull than TDM.
YEah, if you use all your plugins in Native but we don't want that!!!
this statement is BS as one HDX card is as powerful as 3 or 4 core or accel cards....
sorry HDX can handle the DSP....thats not the issue..

mike
Old 07-16-2014, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike fennel View Post
i was looking for any news about AT DSP and saw these comments about PT 11 HDX.

im going to disagree, and provide some valid info for those who care.

i was a long time user of TDM. i made the switch at the very beginning of PT10 HDX. i had to do this as i was buying a new system.

i to was disappointed about the lack of DSP plugs. over the past 2 years i gathered all the plugs for Native 64 bit AAX and DSP. i stayed with PT10 as i did not feel comfortable with 11.
until one day i was doing a huge mix and found that 10 was having some strange timing / latency issues. it was directly connected to the number and types of plugs being used and i was unable to mix this session the way i wanted.

out of curiosity i open the session in PT11 and boom it was tight. not only tight but sounded amazing. i quickly got a few native plug upgrades so i could complete my huge list of native AAX 64bit plugs.
i had everything covered and wow i cant believe how good it sounds.

i had my other engineers confirm this and its was verified that PT11 does sound better.....and the mixes are tighter with latency.
i can do huge mixes with tons of hungry plugs without worry of plug in timing issues.

as far as tracking with AT, no problem. although i cant put it on a record track i can put it on aux tracks and route it to a record track or from the record track monitor it on an aux track. it may be a little bit more effort but its well worth the trade off.

i keep the latency down but just lowering my H/W buffer as much as possible. i get no complaints.

i hope some day AT and waves will have a DSP version but until then im really blown away by the sound of my mixes and so are my clients....

cheers,
mike fennel
head engineer Universal Music Pub Group.

Good to hear about all this.

You may already be aware of this, but Autotune Live is a specific plugin that is designed for low latency tracking like you're doing. You may find it more convenient. For the time being, it looks like that is their answer to this, as there seems to be no more news about them ever doing AAX-DSP.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike fennel View Post
this statement is BS as one HDX card is as powerful as 3 or 4 core or accel cards....
sorry HDX can handle the DSP....thats not the issue..

mike
I don't know what you're working on but if you need to track a record and mix as you go it is not possible with an HDX system. There is no way that you can do a multiple track punch into a pretty much fully mixed track that is running tons of Native plugins. The session will not run at a small enough buffer setting, in order to have low enough latency, without coming to a grinding halt. I know this because I have both an HDX system and a TDM system. I can only use the HD 6 TDM system to earn my livelihood.