Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2013, 05:34 PM

Default PT 11 and Video Editing - Knew It Was Too Good To Be True

I knew this was too good to be true. Since this page: http://www.avid.com/US/products/Pro-...tware#Features was posted I was eager to try out video editing in PT 11. On this page it does not say that video editing is limited to PT 11 HD only. I got my hopes up that basic video editing would be available in PT 11. I only made this assumption because elsewhere on the page the new HD-only features were noted: Mix with confidence using extended metering (Pro Tools HD 11 only) This line did not have that same HD-only notation: Play and edit HD video with the new Avid Video Engine
Old 06-24-2013, 05:43 PM

Arrow Re: PT 11 and Video Editing - Knew It Was Too Good To Be True

You needed v10HD or v10 with CPTK to edit video. Perhaps the page was misleading. It is not my job to defend AVID in that regard. What I will say is that the video feature set between HD and non-HD has not changed. You still need HD to have more than one video track, edit video, etc.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:49 PM

Default Re: PT 11 and Video Editing - Knew It Was Too Good To Be True

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Technician View Post
You needed v10HD or v10 with CPTK to edit video. Perhaps the page was misleading. It is not my job to defend AVID in that regard. What I will say is that the video feature set between HD and non-HD has not changed. You still need HD to have more than one video track, edit video, etc.
Thanks for the reply. I understood that PT10 required CPTK or HD to edit video. It was only because of the new PT11 features page that made me think that video editing would be included in PT11. The page is very misleading. Since there is no more CPTK, now the only way to edit video is to buy HD audio hardware. Seems kinda silly to have to buy audio hardware in order to edit video, don't you think?
Old 06-24-2013, 06:03 PM

Lightbulb Re: PT 11 and Video Editing - Knew It Was Too Good To Be True

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEN6732 View Post
Since there is no more CPTK, now the only way to edit video is to buy HD audio hardware. Seems kinda silly to have to buy audio hardware in order to edit video, don't you think?
If you had CPTK, you can upgrade to 11HD. If you did not have CPTK, then yes, you have to buy AVID's HD|Native or HDX to edit video.

My opinion on whether or not this is silly is not relevant. Someone at AVID decided that this is how it is going to be. 2 months ago their position was that CPTK owners couldn't even upgrade to HD, so in that regard AVID has softened their stance.

If you really need to edit video, and don't want to buy HD|Native or HDX, buy a copy of Media Composer software. Edit in Media Composer and export an AAF along with a video file to Pro Tools.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:33 PM

Quote:
If you had CPTK, you can upgrade to 11HD. If you did not have CPTK, then yes, you have to buy AVID's HD|Native or HDX to edit video.

My opinion on whether or not this is silly is not relevant. Someone at AVID decided that this is how it is going to be. 2 months ago their position was that CPTK owners couldn't even upgrade to HD, so in that regard AVID has softened their stance.

If you really need to edit video, and don't want to buy HD|Native or HDX, buy a copy of Media Composer software. Edit in Media Composer and export an AAF along with a video file to Pro Tools.
I understand that this is how it's been and how it's going to be. It's only because of the misleading features page that I got my hopes up of trying my hand at basic video editing in PT11. Like I said, I should have known it was too good to be true.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:01 PM

I got the impression PT11 had video editing as well. I think because most of the press releases said something like "PT11 has video editing"...

What a shame...

Pro Tools | latest
Mac Mini Server | OSX | Current
16GB Ram | SSHD
Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt
Old 11-21-2014, 01:30 AM

I agree with the OP

The Avid marketing page I just clicked through to after getting an UPGRADE NOW email still includes the claim that PT 11 allows you to edit video

And it is still listed under the benefits of PT11 itself, rather than PT11HD

Ah well, back to iMovie ;-)

www.soundcloud.com/piersgibbon

VOICEOVER - Avalon 737sp/Focusrite Saffire Pro 40/Neumann + Rode inside an Esmono voiceover studio (+ Source Connect, Prima LT, Sonifex TBU, Sonnox plugins)

Record: MBP 13 inch mid 2012, 2.9 ghz i7 8gig ram, PT 11, GDrive Professional Ext Hard Drive

Backup:15 inch early 2008 MBP, OSX 10.10.2

(+Windows 7 PC running Audio TX isdn and tbu codec)

Edit: PT Express 10.3.4 on 13-inch, Late 2010 MacBook Air, OS X 10.10.4
Old 11-21-2014, 02:06 AM

Quote:
However in LE more than one video was allowed in a video track (though only one video track was available where HD could have more than one video track if memory serves). This change in functionality really puts a wrench in organizing work at locations/companies/studios that don't have HD installed. It is a real pain in the ass. (As someone who does SFX and post work) Instead of working in one session I have to create a session per movie clip within my session folder. My session folders can get quite unruly when I am not working on my HD system.
Old 11-21-2014, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CygnusX-1Bk2 View Post
However in LE more than one video was allowed in a video track (though only one video track was available where HD could have more than one video track if memory serves). This change in functionality really puts a wrench in organizing work at locations/companies/studios that don't have HD installed. It is a real pain in the ass. (As someone who does SFX and post work) Instead of working in one session I have to create a session per movie clip within my session folder. My session folders can get quite unruly when I am not working on my HD system.
Couldn't agree more as I am in the same situation. Back in the LE days I could have all my reels on a single session. Since that clever move (PT9? can't remember because I used Digital Peformer as well back then), I must have different sessions... Or if I had to compare 2 different versions of the movie it was very easy, now it's a PITA!

If Avid wants to reserve "unlimited video clips and tracks" for PT HD, fine, but at least, having more than one video on vanilla doesn't seem too much to ask.