Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 04-13-2020, 11:18 AM

Default Re: Is Pro Tools behind the curve?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumzalicious View Post
I think in this day and age you’ll likely not find many who stick to one DAW.
Count me as one of them. I cut my baby teeth looking over the shoulders of engineers using Pro Tools and have no interest in any other DAWs at all.
Be Quiet Pure Base 600 case * Core i5-12600K * Gigabyte Z690 UD AX * 32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 * 2X HP DreamColor Z24x G2 displays * NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 * Samsung 980 boot drive * Samsung 870 EVO PT projects drive * Samsung 860 EVO PT archive drive * Novation Impulse 49 MIDI * PreSonus Studio 26c interface * PreSonus Bluetube V2 preamp * PreSonus HP4 headphone amp * JBL LR 305 monitors * Sennheiser HD 650 headphones *

Windows 10 Pro 64 21H2, Pro Tools 2022.7.0
Old 04-13-2020, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
I can remember using the Scully 8 track with 2" tape back in the day. It was a university studio, which also sported a Moog and an ARP 2600, which is what I learned synthesis on. My first DAW/MIDI pc was one of the Atari ST's, which, at the time, was the ONLY desktop system with dedicated MIDI ports. We could do MIDI multi tracking with Dr. T's KCS. Later, a friend of mine helped me produce an audio recording of a pianist and we did it on Sound Tools (remember that?). For a while I used the earlier versions of Cakewalk, a brief foray with Voyetra. Then, I got into Pro Tools with PT 6.0. I've never looked back, and don't plan to. I've tried CuBase, Reaper, Reason, and Ableton along the way, but nothing comes close to PT for me.

If I were to use another DAW it'd probably be Reaper, only because it more similar to PT than most of the others.

I really don't care if PT is "behind the curve". Its not always about having the latest and greatest. Even with some of the ongoing bugs discussed many times over here, PT is still the best out there!
I used the Atari ST as well all throughout the 90's doing R&B. NOTHING locked in a midi beat like those computers.
Old 04-13-2020, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeee123 View Post
I used the Atari ST as well all throughout the 90's doing R&B. NOTHING locked in a midi beat like those computers.
Super ultra tight. PT's midi is extremely loose in comparison. Could it have been the software and not the computers? If I remember right, Pro 24 became Cubase and I think Notator gradually morphed into Logic.
Old 04-13-2020, 11:55 AM

I think Avid is behind the curve in that they don't have a version of Pro Tools for iPads. I have been testing mine out with different DAW apps and it is pretty amazing what you can do with them. I can do a 48 track backup record off my Midas M32r to my iPad now using N Track or better yet Audio Evolution which is only 9 bucks. Those are the two DAWs for iPad I have tried so far but both can handle recording that many tracks for a full length show. Also running a host of synths with AUM is awesome. Avid is missing out on a huge revenue stream as more and more people use iPads to make music and they could be making coin off them but they are not even in the game? Pro Tools Ultimate is still my DAW of choice, perhaps out of laziness and years of using Pro Tools and no real need to make a switch. My system is very solid for what I need and I stay a bit behind the curve. Still running High Sierra and PT 19.10 but will update soon to 2020 and take it for a test spin.
I would like to see Avid come out with Pro Tools for iPad app for recording on the go. If not they will loose out on a growing group of young tad poles who work on Garage Band, Beatmaker 3 , Cubasis, Auria, N Track, Audio Evolution etc. Why they haven't tapped into this market is beyond me and their stock price could use a shot in the arm from a good iOS / iPad OS app.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.10
Mac Pro 2009 upgraded to 5,1 12 core 3.46ghz
GPU RX6800XT, Samsung 970 EVO Plus pcie boot drive, Titan Ridge flashed for Mac.
Midas M32r console. iPad Pro with Avid Control
Old 04-13-2020, 03:14 PM

It is evidently behind the curve!!! in fact most (if not all) the new features we've got during the last years, where implemented in other daws way before.

Plus bugs that have been around for many years...
Old 04-13-2020, 04:02 PM

oh im sure theyre working on an ipad version.......they cant sit there and watch apple annihilate them........has anyone here used garageband? its so much fun, you almost cant NOT create something fun and usable....Avid doesnt have a product like it.....gonna be hard to outdo a product that well made AND FREE!
why not just a 16 track version of PT?
Old 04-13-2020, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesbrunn View Post
Super ultra tight. PT's midi is extremely loose in comparison. Could it have been the software and not the computers? If I remember right, Pro 24 became Cubase and I think Notator gradually morphed into Logic.
I’m pretty sure that it was the Atari and not the software. And yeah, I believe I was using Cubase at that time as well. I remember around ‘98 or so, The Atari crapped out so we ended up getting the most expensive Mac we could for that time. We used it for one day and returned it and bought another used Atari. Looking back it was brilliant for them to include a midi port. That was the secret. No interface to have to go through and at that time all those Atari computers were doing was sequencing. Certainly no multitasking to worry about.
Old 04-13-2020, 05:20 PM

Avid is just trying to flatten the curve.

...Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 04-13-2020, 06:45 PM

It's been a long time, and I I don't remember the details. But I remember that the Atari somehow clocked the MIDI ports to hardware, which is why the timing was so perfect - possibly better than any computer ever has been.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeee123 View Post
I’m pretty sure that it was the Atari and not the software. And yeah, I believe I was using Cubase at that time as well. I remember around ‘98 or so, The Atari crapped out so we ended up getting the most expensive Mac we could for that time. We used it for one day and returned it and bought another used Atari. Looking back it was brilliant for them to include a midi port. That was the secret. No interface to have to go through and at that time all those Atari computers were doing was sequencing. Certainly no multitasking to worry about.
Old 04-13-2020, 11:13 PM

It's not behind the curve if you want a solid workflow for feature films.

For example, which DAW allows you to receive AAF's from a NLE, edit thousands of audio files across hundreds of tracks, in sync with multiple videos, and then apply hundreds of plugins during the mix on the dub stage, finally outputting any mix configuration stems from mono to atmos (and more), while allowing you to move sessions/projects freely and reliably between huge numbers of facilities?

Sure, other DAWs will allow you to do some, or most, of these things, but none of them do it as comprehensively as Pro Tools.

If you do lots of MIDI or music production, I understand that it's another story.
5,1 Mac Pro, 3.46 GHz Six Core Xeon, 48gb ram, Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.6, HD Native card, Avid 192io interface, Avid 96io, Intensity Pro video card, Radeon HD 7950 graphics card, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.7.