Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2015, 07:38 PM

Default Saving to another hard drive

PT 11.3.1, Windows 7 PC. I added another 1.5TB SATA HD to my computer. I have been trying to find where to set up where I save my recordings to the new HD and not to my Drive "C". New drive is labeled drive "F". I have PT on drive "F" and go to that drive to open Pro Tools but when I go looking for what I recorded, it shows on Drive "C" and not on Drive "F". Where do I go to set this up so I quit saving everything to my "master hd"?
Old 10-08-2015, 07:58 PM

Default Re: Saving to another hard drive

Ah You *must* have the Pro Tools software itself installed on the C: drive, if it has not already this will very likely cause you problems in future. When installing Pro Tools you need to follow the Install guide documentation, including doing the systems optimization.

"recordings" you mean audio media that normally goes into the session folder somewhere or are you specifically not recording it to a session folder for a reason? I'd strongly encourage you to put it in the session folder. And you can put that anywhere you want.

Still I'm not following the issue here, when you go to create a new session Pro Tools will default to put that in the last folder you created a session in. If you don't like that pick anywhere on your computer from that create session dialog. You can also do a Save In anywhere on your computer.

Volumes do needs to be the correct type (record, playback, transfer) in the Pro Tools Workspace Window. If that's new to you look it up in the Pro Tools Reference Guide.
Old 10-09-2015, 06:54 AM

Thanks Darryl Ramm! Yes, I do still have PT on C: drive also. I'll move it off of C: drive and go from there.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpawley View Post
Thanks Darryl Ramm! Yes, I do still have PT on C: drive also. I'll move it off of C: drive and go from there.
Remove it off of C:? No Pro Tools software *has* to be installed on C:

And uh even worse you have Pro Tools installed in two different places on the same computer? Who knows what is going to end up screwed up there, including when an uninstaller runs and starts messing in the registry. Uninstall both versions and install it again properly on the C: drive.

Pro Tools has an installation guide which you need to be reading and following.
Old 10-09-2015, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpawley View Post
As Darryl has mentioned above, do NOT do that. Do a standard installation of Pro Tools. It needs to be on your C: drive. When you run Pro Tools and create a new Session(your recordings), those can be saved on your F: drive.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 10-09-2015, 08:02 PM

Thanks, that is what I thought also.