Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 10-05-2011, 06:01 PM

Default Turn mono to stereo?

I am dragging and dropping audio files from NI Maschine into Protools. However, everything is in stereo, which uses up 2 tracks for each sound. So when I drag and dropped my kick drum pattern into PT, my kick drum is now in a stereo pair. Is there a way to turn this stereo pair into a mono signal? I don't want to just delete one of the tracks because I'm afraid I might losing some important frequencies or harmonics. Thanks for any answers.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:04 PM

Default Re: Turn mono to stereo?

Also, if I were to keep a sound such as a snare as a stereo pair, how can I pan it 20 percent left? Would I slide both tracks 20 to the left? Is that the same as sliding 20 to the left on a mono signal?
Old 10-05-2011, 09:00 PM

Stereo tracks have 2 pan "knobs" so you can match them and pan anywhere you like(just as with a mono track). another option is to pan the stereo track in a narrow spread(like 10 and 2 o'clock), or shift it off to either side(like 1 and 5). As for wasting tracks, you can split a stereo track to dual mono, then highlight the original stereo and one of the 2 mono tracks and "hide and make inactive". In any case, a mono sound like kick or snare, on a stereo track is likely to not lose harmonics, just ambience(if there is any). That can be recreated with subtle use of reverb(with a short room patch). Most of my drums are from SD2 and, instead of the room mic sounds built in, I usually leave them out and feed my own "room"(a particular verb plugin) that creates my own sound.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-05-2011, 09:01 PM

How about importing it as a region then dragging the region onto a mono track?
Old 10-05-2011, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules View Post
How about importing it as a region then dragging the region onto a mono track?
When I export the sounds from Maschine as wav files into a folder and then drag a sound into PT... it is still in stereo. So every sound NEEDS 2 tracks. Is there no way to merge 2 audio tracks into 1?
Old 10-06-2011, 05:52 AM

If you HAVE to have a mono track then just bus your stereo track to a mono audio track and print it. Walla
Old 10-06-2011, 06:54 AM

If you have a soundfield category AS-plugin process sum-to mono then delete the unwanted stereo. SUM (-3) would be a nice export or import feature.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:14 AM

What about the original stereo field coming from NI do you want to keep? Some modulation or verb? I'm wondering from your post if you're really just getting the same exact sound on both sides, and you're just afraid it will be "less" if you only use one side. Just use one of them as mono, and turn it up!

I'd rather create a mix starting from a dry sound anyway. If you import drum sounds with verbs or FX on the source tracks, then you don't have any flexibility down the road to change them when you realize they're getting in the way of any other sounds.

If you absolutely can't export the sound as mono from NI, then import the file as stereo, then in ProTools use the "split into mono" command and listen to both sides to see if one of the mono sides won't fulfill what you need from that sound. If not, either leave it as stereo and eat the extra voice allocation, or take a moment to bus them to the same mono track.