Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 05-29-2012, 07:18 PM

Default Buying an ex demo eleven rack from a store

I am interested I buying an eleven rack from a store that has a demo eleven rack that sounds awesome. I compared it side by side with another one and the demo rack sounded better. The owners says its a demo model from the factory and he can't sell it even though I offered to pay retail. Can he sell it as used ex demo stock or are the shop demo eleven racks not allowed to be sold to the public? Thanks.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:50 PM

Default Re: Buying an ex demo eleven rack from a store

It doesn't make sense that it would sound better, as they are all built the same.

I'm wondering if one was defective in some way.

Also, I don't know if the demo would come with the software or not, or if that's a consideration for you.

There is a company that does modifications on these, which may give you a better bump in quality than any discrepancy between 2 units.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:02 PM

Or the demo has the ERXP installed, and the comparison is an old stock without the ERXP installed. Just a thought
Old 05-29-2012, 08:19 PM

No 2 amps sound the same just as there was one that had more bite and better tone and no it was reset to factory settings without the Expansion pack. I don't want any mods, just want the unit in the shop. If someone knows the shop/Avid policy on this I would like to know. Thanks.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete_g View Post
No 2 amps sound the same just as there was one that had more bite and better tone and no it was reset to factory settings without the Expansion pack. I don't want any mods, just want the unit in the shop. If someone knows the shop/Avid policy on this I would like to know. Thanks.
I mean that if one had the ERXP installed and the other did not, factory settings would sound different. They added speaker breakup to ERXP so it could be slightly different. But who knows without hearing or seeing them myself
Old 05-29-2012, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete_g View Post
For whatever reason you think it sounds better, there is no reason I can imagine why the retailer cannot sell that particular one to you...perhaps other than leaving the shop without a 'demo' model until they order another one, or they have it on some sort of loan consignment from the manufacturer.

Are you sure the unit hasn't got any 'private' patches on it? It's not uncommon for shops to create their own set of patches to sell the unit.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 05-29-2012, 09:49 PM

They were identical - no expansion pack. What I'd like to know anyway is if the shop owner can sell me the demo model and Avid can replace the store one.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:52 PM

I reset it to factory settings in the store myself. There was no settings difference between the 2. I'd like to clear that up. Can Avid confirm to Me if he is allowed to sell it?
Old 05-30-2012, 12:52 AM

dumb question but.. Did you check the firmware versions on both of them? I've got mine for sale for $500.. Buy it, maybe its a "special" one too lol
Old 05-30-2012, 03:56 AM

All Eleven Racks are going to sound the same if they have the firmware, barring a malfunction of course.

That's the point of digital modelling. Its all 0's and 1's, unlike analog gear where even the same amp model can sound a bit different, digital is 100% reproducible.

If you were using different guitars, that will make a difference. If you were using a different listen-back system (headphone, monitors ect..) that will make a difference to what you hear, but the processing is exactly that same providing the input is the same.

What were the output settings of each rack? What kind of system did you listen back on? Were both 11R's using Main Outs, or Amp out, Digital? Was the chain Mono or Stereo?

Was a different guitar cable used? Was the same guitar used?

A factory reset does not erase the ERXP if the firmware is already 2.0.x, it will just erase all user rigs and preference settings and set the 11R to a factory state of the firmware that is currently installed.

So if the whole signal chain was exactly the same, and you could hear a difference, chances are that one 11R was malfunctioning. Or you were standing in a different spot while listening back and it was just the room tone that made it seem like one 11R had more bite. Try each of them with the same guitar and the same pair of headphones, set to the same volume.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio