Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2019, 03:42 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools for mastering

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyduck View Post
Oh, and what about Ozone 9, or even 8?

You’d still need a DAW to run it in though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-22-2019, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
You’d still need a DAW to run it in though.

There’s a standalone app actually. But you could obviously use with ProTools, or, I was thinking maybe as a solution to the wave lab elements “two-plug-in problem”.

Best,

mightyduck
Old 12-22-2019, 05:51 PM

Quote:
There’s a standalone app actually. But you could obviously use with ProTools, or, I was thinking maybe as a solution to the wave lab elements “two-plug-in problem”.

Best,

mightyduck

Sorry. Definitely aware there’s a standalone app, but I wasn’t aware that you could load multiple tracks in there and create a mastering project like you would in a DAW.

It has been a while since I looked at it so perhaps it’s changed in newer versions.

Old 12-22-2019, 06:37 PM

Quote:
I've used DSP Quattro a long time ago, just for a few things, trying it out. I though it was pretty good then, but I think there have been some changes that people aren't too happy with.

But in Wavelab Elements, if I understand you correctly, you would not be able to use, say, an E.Q., a compressor, and a limiter, together on the same track? That would be a bit rough, I think. But the assembly features are good? Does it create DDP?

Best,

mightyduck
In mastering you don't want or need a limiter (at least I don't). EQ & light compression if at all but no limiting. There's no need to keep fighting the loudness wars. If you think you need a limiter you need to revisit the mix.

As to getting around the two plugin limit in Wavelab Elements you could always use Blue Cat Patchwork

As to DDP I don't care about that. The clients I have don't need mass production.

QAPLA!
Old 12-22-2019, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
In mastering you don't want or need a limiter (at least I don't). EQ & light compression if at all but no limiting. There's no need to keep fighting the loudness wars. If you think you need a limiter you need to revisit the mix.

As to getting around the two plugin limit in Wavelab Elements you could always use Blue Cat Patchwork

As to DDP I don't care about that. The clients I have don't need mass production.

Can’t say I agree with your assessment of use of limiting in mastering, but each to their own.

FTR - just because someone is using a limiter doesn’t mean they’re competing in the so called ‘loudness wars’. We’ve used limiters for a long time, long before these ‘wars’ were a thing.

Old 12-22-2019, 07:50 PM

I love PT for mastering now that I don't need to worry about CD anymore.. much preferable to using something overly complex like WaveLab.. Just create a master project template, import your mix(es) and work away! It's super easy.. I use a good set of metering plugins on the master bus as well as individual stereo tracks, my usual complement of FX ready to go (inactive so i just activate them as I use them), I have all 10 master slots filled so I have choices, and voila. Bounce at the right level for various online formats and done. I much much prefer it to any other multitrack DAW for this task due to the ease of audio handling and manipulation. Look I really do love Wavelab but version 10 has gone into rocket scientist territory and I like to keep things simple.

There's a cheap little wave editor I love called twisted wave, and I sometimes use that too.

My all time favourite was Spark XL but that is long dead (damn TC!). I adored that program.

Anyway twisted wave allows a proper effects chain in realtime as well as latency compensation in the bouncing, it's cheap and cheerful and nothing beats it for the money.. It's the easiest to use wave editor on the planet and has ultra smooth mouse wheel/trackpad horizontal zoom.

If one HAS to do a CD project, then it's probably worth getting Studio one for the mastering section.. it handles that very well.. much better than the DAW part LOL!
Old 12-22-2019, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
I love PT for mastering!

Agree!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 12-22-2019, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post

On the limiter issue, you don't have to use it for loudness, per se. But you usually want a brick wall limiter at the end, if for no other reasons than just to avoid intersample peaks, and other nasties. And a limiter is really just a compressor with a hard, selectable output limit.

Not familiar with Blue Cat Patchwork, but I'll look at it.

I'm definitely not a fan of squashed mastering, for the most part. I allow that it works for some stuff, though.

This Ozzy track always comes to mind as a track that just kicks ass hard, no two ways about it. And if you look at the meters on this, they are flat-out pinned all the way through. I'm sure it was recorded and mixed hot, too, but there is definitely some "limiting" for loudness on this one. : )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QapkGK-6G90

And here's something that just came up behind the Ozzy track. Sons of Apollo? Pretty rockin'. Ridiculous guitar solo between fretted and fretless, apparently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QapkGK-6G90

Isn't there a Youtube thingy in the forum software that makes the video display in the post? It thought there was, but I don't see it now.

Best,

mightyduck
Old 12-22-2019, 08:47 PM

I liked Wave Editor. Then that became Triumph, apparently, and now I guess that's gone too.

I looked on Vintage King's site and TC Electronics has some sh*t that's about a million dollars. Software?

I am kind of thinking they are selling all the high end mastering stuff to people who just don't already have Pro Tools. At least to some. extent that seems to be the case.
Old 12-22-2019, 08:54 PM

Quote:
I liked Wave Editor. Then that became Triumph, apparently, and now I guess that's gone too.

I looked on Vintage King's site and TC Electronics has some sh*t that's about a million dollars. Software?

I am kind of thinking they are selling all the high end mastering stuff to people who just don't already have Pro Tools. At least to some. extent that seems to be the case.

Yep.

Triumph was the additional app I was referring to earlier. It’s what I use to create DDP files. Very simple and inexpensive app with tons of useful features.

That whole debacle with the IP rights for those apps is a right PITA. That company made such good products. Myriad was a fantastic app.

Will be interesting to see how that all pans out.