Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2010, 05:35 AM

Default 'Copy and Paste'

Hello I have 'PT', I was wondering how to duplicate a track;and then 'Edit' the 'Duplicated' track--(individually), without affecting the original track that I duplicated from?
Every time I try to edit my midi tracks it invariably affects the 'Other Track'
and if I 'add notes' or 'take out notes' it will mirror this process in the 'Original'.

'PT' is great , and I have only just started to become accustomed to its Navigation, --(I am a new user and fairly inexperienced).. Many thanks..

I think I am in the wrong forum. Can anybody tell me which forum to post this querie on?
Old 12-05-2010, 07:32 AM

Default Re: 'Copy and Paste'

Maybe the "Tips and Techniques" forum is most appropriate, but here's your answer. When you duplicate a midi track, the duplicated track is using the exact same midi regions. You can change things like panning and volume fader on the new track without affecting the original track, but it is the regions that contain the actual midi data. When you edit/add/delete midi data within an existing region, you are changing the region, not the track, and those changes show up anywhere else that same region is used. This can be a very powerful feature as long as you understand it.

To do what you want, duplicate the track first and then duplicate all the regions on the new track. Now you can do anything you want in the new regions and new track without changing anything on the original track. I rarely use midi tracks here and may not have given you the most efficient approach, but it works.

Audio tracks are not exactly the same but are similar in approach. For instance you can change the name of a region and its new name will show up everywhere the exact same region is used, but the majority of editing operations with audio regions actually create new regions, thus leaving the original regions untouched.

Going further, audio regions are just "pointers". They just point the playback engine to the actual audio within audio files on your drives. If you edit an audio file itself, like using the pencil tool to draw into an audio waveform, the new audio will appear everywhere that part of the audio file is used, which may be any number of audio regions on any number of tracks.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:34 AM

Default Re: 'Copy and Paste'

Thank you very much friend.Your reply was very helpful.