Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2003, 01:12 AM

Default From Left Field: Subliminal Recordings

Ok, strange topic. But I have always been curious about how subliminal recordings are made. I'm not talking about playing Judas Priest vinyl backwards, but professionally made 'meditational' recordings.

Does anybody know how this is done, how it is supposed to work? Is special software used?

I've only found fairly vague links in my web searches so far...
Old 01-29-2003, 08:57 AM

Default Re: From Left Field: Subliminal Recordings

cool nickname [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
i dont know "how" they make those subliminal tapes... i'm not even sure if there is really anything to them or not. Possible a closely guarded secret. Who knows...may be a bunch of snake-oil.
If you are into it, maybe just experiment around. I dont think there is a textbook way to make one.
Maybe you could make one that will make women go wild and hot. I would buy one for sure!!
Old 01-29-2003, 09:49 AM

Hi Silence...and hello silence... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
I may get a rebuttle for saying this, but I've never been able to fathom how this could work, though it would be great if it did. When I was a teenager taking French, I tried sleeping with these massive headphones on, with a French lesson playing on tape. I figured this beat the hell out of studying. Well, I barely passed with a D that year in French.
Thing is to me, if your concious mind can't distinguish a subliminal thought because it's buried in louder audio, I don't buy that your unconcious mind will 'sort out' the message. For it to work, would that mean that the unconcious mind prefers words over music?...so much so, that it doesn't matter that the music is much louder?
It would be cool if it worked and would have all kinds of uses. But to me, it's kind of like wanting a Twilight Zone episode to be real.

Interesting topic, though. thanks, Roy
Old 01-29-2003, 09:58 AM

Actually they work.

~ Thats your rebuttal for rebuttals sake Roy. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

But, I have no proof nor expierience that they work [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Interestingly enough, I listen to music as I sleep. Ill often put in one CD, and have it repeat all nite till I wake in the morn...er...afternoon for me now...

But, I find that when I do this, songs tend to open more up to me. I always do this with new CD's that I buy that ive never heard, and then the next day, ill find myself listening to these same CD's in the car on the way to work, and ill have this greater knowledge of a song, like im expecting what comes next. Its really a wierd expierience. Not so wierd that id call it twilight zony, but its wierd imagining how the mind works, and I really am taking in the tunes as I sleep, or if Its all a mind game as I listen to it the next time in a conscious state of mind.
Old 01-29-2003, 10:04 AM

well, there is a way for it to work.

At one time, in movie theaters, they would put one frame of a picture of popcorn, or coke, in the middle of a movie, and it would actually increase refreshment sales.
It is illegal now, but obvisouly that is a form of subliminally sending a message, cause you wouldn't actually see this picture, it was only one frame which is very small fraction of second, but your mind would get the message, and therefore put whatever it was on your mind, wanting you to act on it.

I'm sure you've heard this too, so it's no surprise.

As far as music is concerned, I don't know if it is the same technique as its visual counterpart.
In that stupid movie, josie and pussycats, they just had a separate track that said stuff, and it was just at a real low volume, so maybe that could work..
Old 01-29-2003, 10:07 AM

"...Not so wierd that id call it twilight zony..."-CP

Oh c'mon, Ben...it is too twilight zony...
[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-29-2003, 10:17 AM

I tried this with a Van Halen song "Standing on Top of the World". The subliminal message I put on it was an affirmation that said:

"The most gorgeous women in the world are now making love to me"

It is simple you just set the message track volume level a few notches below what is detectable to the human ear, then bounce them together.

Did it work? Well lets just say that it is important to put in there that they be single this next time. Ouch!!!!!

Allen [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-30-2003, 01:23 PM

There are a few ways to get "subliminal" recordings to work... one is the low level audio approach, shich is good for simple "everything is wonderful, don't you feel good today?" positive message reinforcement (like stop smoking cassettes. You hide the audio just above the noise floor.
Then there is "backwards masking"...cool for effects, Bulls**** for messages.
The last is psychoacoustical effects, pioneered by CIA "black ops" groups in the '50's and '60's, who found that subsonic audio freq's could cause 'involuntary loss of rectal sphincter control in test subjects'. They tried putting it on Vinyl, but the waveforms deformed the grooves so bad the needles would literally 'jump' out of the grooves, but with today's CD technology...Just picture a floorful of ravers experiencing 'involuntary loss of rectal sphincter control'. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Some viewers may not share my sense of humour.
Old 01-30-2003, 02:34 PM

Quote:
You hide the audio just above the noise floor.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">So the messages will not be in mp3's. This is the kind of info that gets rejected when encodong to MP3

Quote:
At one time, in movie theaters, they would put one frame of a picture of popcorn, or coke, in the middle of a movie, and it would actually increase refreshment sales.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Maybe this worked in the 50's, but since then editing has sped up considerably. I myself am able to read 1 frame messages, and i am sure i am not the only one. (i do have to say that i should see them, as being a video-editor...)

Bastiaan
Old 01-30-2003, 10:02 PM

Yes, this Info would Disappear in MP3 encoding, as would subsonic freq's from CD's due to the A/D filters...but we can still dream....

Note: When subliminal advertising was used in Movie theatres, the effect was different from what was expected. The researchers found that when they showed a frame of popcorn, sales went up....of Soft Drinks!! Seems subliminal thoughts of popcorn made people very thirsty...
Our minds work in mysterious ways, if they work at all. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]