Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2020, 06:58 AM

Default Slate or Plug in alliance?

If I could only subscribe to one, which should I try first? Ideally I want to maximize my use of dsp plugins since I paid for the hdx card. Mixing mostly rock/pop, no hip hop or edm type of stuff. Or, is there a better route. I'm all about quality over quantity.

I already made the mistake of buying Waves without realizing it was all native!. This is what happens when you've been using pt9 until now.

Last edited by [email protected]; 11-09-2020 at 09:21 AM.
Old 11-09-2020, 07:15 AM

Default Re: Slate or Plug in alliance?

Hi i think PA and Slate are native too. I would choose PA, those people are doing great stuff and the CPU management is better imo. But don't take it lightly take your time doing research and looking for options.
Old 11-09-2020, 08:17 AM

Yeah some PA plugins can utilize the HDX chips DSP and they are ”Not Slate” which is a WIN right there. We unfortunately have both and use 2-3% of the incl plugins as who needs 60-70 compressor emulations that is far from the original hardware and same amount of EQ, half azzed emulated so choosing from 2 bundles I would to PA any day all day!

There are demos to try and maybe help somewhat but it is just software so not tye end of the world. Still PA if I have to choose one. I would say save the money and get better hardware as it always wins over plugins and the fact you OWN it which is not the case with the extremely oversaturated plugin landscape.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 11-09-2020, 08:24 AM

A PS. Plugin Alliance also have different bundles for different tasks so you dont have to sort thru a pile of crap you would never use and you can rent what you need. And you get a plugin voucher every year for your rented value to buy a plugin (which is pretty useless IMO) but you might want a specific plugin which is in another bundle and then you could buy a license to use that with your chosen bundle.

.... and the fact Steven Slate is a verified Conman who shiuld be selling used cars instead as he would fit right in there. Possibly the biggest Joker in the business with all his cheap crappyhardware he sells to unsuspecting public and his cult kids who really believe they have it all with slate crap! Can’t post what I really wanna call him and his pile of SHIIIIIIT

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 11-09-2020, 08:38 AM

PA is my choice as well. Stopped thinking about Slate after his infamous "soon" release of next versions. Instead there was subscription model without the promised updates.
Old 11-09-2020, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Yeah some PA plugins can utilize the HDX chips DSP and they are ”Not Slate” which is a WIN right there. We unfortunately have both and use 2-3% of the incl plugins as who needs 60-70 compressor emulations that is far from the original hardware and same amount of EQ, half azzed emulated so choosing from 2 bundles I would to PA any day all day!

There are demos to try and maybe help somewhat but it is just software so not tye end of the world. Still PA if I have to choose one. I would say save the money and get better hardware as it always wins over plugins and the fact you OWN it which is not the case with the extremely oversaturated plugin landscape.
I know. It's insane. I just want a couple good ones, not 100 mediocre. moving from tdm to aax land is a whole new ballgame and there doesn't appear to by any consensus at all. Ask people for their favorite eq and you'll get one vote for every eq plugin there is, and i'm starting to think that going hdx was a mistake, but it's too late now.
Old 11-09-2020, 09:43 AM

For the one good tool idea you should take a look at Sonnox
Old 11-09-2020, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
For the one good tool idea you should take a look at Sonnox
hi, i'e heard about these guys. Would you say the eq and dynamics are the ones to go for?
Old 11-09-2020, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
hi, i'e heard about these guys. Would you say the eq and dynamics are the ones to go for?
I would say the sonnox are good but also very old and tired

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 11-09-2020, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
They are "precise", not color the sound. The model example of what digital tools should be.

If you want something that colors your sound, go analog.