Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 06-29-2018, 01:26 PM

Default AAF Import Triggers Missing "movie file"

A new problem has arisen after an HDX 2018 system upgrade. We are now seeing a system that prompts for missing "movie" files when we open AAF files from one of our video post vendors using Media Composer.

Our system begins opening the AAF just fine, then what looks like a Mac OS Prompt pops up with the message "The movie file "*.*.mp3" cannot be found. Without this file, the movie will not play properly."

Fun things about this message. 1) mp3 files are inherently not movie files. 2) The files the prompt is asking for are definitely ours, but not related to the session at all. 3) The problem occurs only with AAF files from one of our vendors who is still using Media Composer.

System: HDX with RedNet on Mac Pro Late 2013, running OS X.12.6, ProTools 2018.4, Plenty of RAM and drive space.

I can't give you specs on the Media Composer rig yet. Maybe after the holiday. Any ideas?
Old 07-01-2018, 02:59 PM

Default Re: AAF Import Triggers Missing "movie file"

If the vendors are using Media Composer, have them make a DNXHD36 video mix down within the AAF export.
Old 07-03-2018, 10:09 AM

Have you seen this particular problem before?
Old 07-03-2018, 12:43 PM

Most likely the video was exported as a reference file, with the audio as mp3.

Referencing back to the MC system.
Old 08-01-2018, 10:46 PM

I have seen this before. It happens every few months. We import from Media Composer almost exclusively.

The only way out is to quit PT. Otherwise it keeps popping up. It['s been happening for quite awhile. Over a year.
Old 09-14-2018, 11:18 AM

Update to our issue: This seems to be related to bounced content stored on a host server. If we keep the system connected to served up folders and files, and then import an OMF/AAF the system scan for sound files triggers Pro Tools 12.7 to think these old files are missing and somehow need to be connected to the current session.

I have since disconnected the drive and deleted the index for all offline volumes. Once I did that, the system stopped asking for these incorrectly referenced files.

Problem is... I will eventually need to reconnect to that server and deliver files while Pro Tools is live and possibly while I have to open OMF/AAF files again. So, how do I stop Pro Tools from scanning or creating indexes for the servers files while I'm connected to it?