Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 01-01-2013, 04:57 PM

Default CPU Overload working w/ M-Audio C400

We just purchased the C400 as recommended by L&M to provide a headphone amp and to take the CPU load off the internal sound card since we were having the odd CPU overload issue. Now we can't get through a mixdown without the CPU overloading. (Error message -6101). Buffer is at 2048, CPU limit is at 85%. We are using a couple of heavy plug ins but nothing we haven't used before - and just 10 tracks of audio.
We've turned off all programs, airport & bluetooth. Our audio is on an external drive connected with firewire. We've downloaded the driver for 10.8., rebooted, and have out of ideas. We're quite familiar with Pro Tools but not with external AD Interfaces. Any help would be sincerely appreciated. A deadline is looming.
M-Audio Fast Track C400
Protools 10
4 GB Ram
Old 01-01-2013, 05:10 PM

Default Re: CPU Overload working w/ M-Audio C400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia0606 View Post
We just purchased the C400 as recommended by L&M to provide a headphone amp and to take the CPU load off the internal sound card since we were having the odd CPU overload issue. Now we can't get through a mixdown without the CPU overloading. (Error message -6101). Buffer is at 2048, CPU limit is at 85%. We are using a couple of heavy plug ins but nothing we haven't used before - and just 10 tracks of audio.
We've turned off all programs, airport & bluetooth. Our audio is on an external drive connected with firewire. We've downloaded the driver for 10.8., rebooted, and have out of ideas. We're quite familiar with Pro Tools but not with external AD Interfaces. Any help would be sincerely appreciated. A deadline is looming.
A C400 does "take <audio> load off the internal sound card", but that was never your issue, your issue will be CPU load on the CPU, or maybe misconfigured/underspec disk, or a faulty/buggy plugin. And for that the C400 does *nothing* to help you with any of that. I don't know who L&M are but now is your chance to return this to the dealer.

If you want help here. Start at the "Help us Help You - READ THIS Before Posting!" link on this page and provide a concise description of your computer as describe there, including most importantly... What disk drives are in your Mac? Make/model/spec/how is it connected to the Mac -- for all drives. What drive are you recoding to? (hopefully not the system drive).

What is in the sessions that is giving problems, how many tracks, how many armed for record, what plugins and VIs.

Have you done *all* the standard optimizations, every last one? Including disabling spotlight--on all drives?

Darryl
Old 01-01-2013, 07:11 PM

Thanks for the response Daryl. The salesman did indeed say the load we were taking off the computer was from the CPU, so I guess that was misleading.

I did indeed dutifully go to the "Help us Help You - READ THIS Before Posting!" and systematically go through the list and thought my signature contained what you needed. I apparently missed the link to optimization & troubleshooting. I'll go there now and go through the list. Sorry.

The external hard drive we're using is an Iomega RPHD-TG and that's where we're mixing to as well. System (internal) drive is whatever comes standard in the Macbook Pro. As I said, it's 10 tracks of audio - 3 plugins - compressor, reverb and a standard Pro Tools EQ. I'll get the exact plugin names later this eve. The audio was recorded by someone else at 96, so that's a heavier load than I'm used to as well. (I generally don't mix in my lap top).

I'll be back after going through the list. Thanks.
M-Audio Fast Track C400
Protools 10
4 GB Ram
Old 01-01-2013, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia0606 View Post
The external hard drive we're using is an Iomega RPHD-TG and that's where we're mixing to as well.
Well that will be your problem. Open the window and throw that piece of junk drive as far as you can.

That drive is far from being close to suitable. Its only a 5,400 rpm drive, You need a 7,200 rpm or faster (or SSD) drive for audio. And its USB2--not supported on a Mac, if you want to use an external drive you are supposed to use a Firewire drive (preferably Firewire 800) with an Oxford chipset. Thunderbolt is OK as well if it meets the rpm specs (and you are not using RAID). Look for a drive from vendors like OWC, G-Tech or Glyph that are described as Pro Tools qualified or meeting Pro Tools specs or similar.

You probably should have spent your money on a disk drive not a C400 interface. Go "thank" the not-helpful sales rep at where was it L&M Music for wasting your time and money. There are many vendors and sales reps who would have helped you out much better in this situation. Before buying anything else go and understand the Pro Tools system requirements and audio disk specs. And don't reward twats like this with your business, buy from somebody else, anybody else, Sweetwater might be a better choice if you are shopping on line.

Darryl