Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-1999, 07:41 AM

Default Re: 64 channels on a ProControl

Like George I have 2 Mix farms & a mix core, I have just picked up a s/h vintage farm too.
Like George I hope to skip some DSP drain by using outboard digi i/o FX (and one analog reverb too) This seems to be a trend as people aren't really knocked out by plug in reverb yet.

Jules
Old 12-05-1999, 09:45 AM

Jules:

What kind of plug-in verbs do you have?

I know you said you don't like Lexicon, but I think you should try Lexiverb. I am very impressed by it. Reverb is a very subjective thing and I have bounced around from box to box for years. I own about 15 or so now I think. I get tired of them and move on then come back later and go Hmmm, ain't so bad.

I bought a Lexi 200 back in 83 and thought it was the berries. Got tired of it. It sat in a rack for 2-3 years. I fired it up one day and thought it was great. Verb kind of does that to you. When I got my 480 in Oct, I went WOW!. Then after using it for 2 projects I was already used to it. Lexiverb will probably do that also. I think your mind just gets used to verb in a hurry.

So far I am still impressed with Lexiverb. More so than TC Megaverb, Trueverb or Dverb. The later two never did a lot for me. TC is pretty nice. I would like to hear a 3000, like yours. I have heard they are great. It is nice working with the 480 as 2 verbs to save DSP. This last big project would have never flown without crashes, DSP shuffling if I had not done that.

I think you would like Lexiverb. It takes a whole chip though. Borrow one if you can. I think you are in England? Maybe someone there has it. There was some discussion somewhere of a trial demo. Don't know if that is happening yet.

Good luck...Now back to my trial run on PT5

George
Classic Recording
www.classicrecording.com
www.classicrecording.com
Old 12-05-1999, 03:09 PM
Administrator

There is a demo of LexiVerb v1.x available for download on Lexicon's site at http://www.lexicon.com/lexiverb/homeframe.htm

This will only work on non-MIX farms, however.

When we have a v2.0 MIX compatible demo, we'll put that up on our site. We're planning on adding demo versions of our plug-ins to the Digidesign Web Store. I'm a little reluctant to put up a demo there of a non-shipping version.

------------------
Bruce Paine
eMarketing
Old 12-05-1999, 04:07 PM

Yep George! In fact I just bought the vintage farm card in Lexiverbs honour! (+ other non upgraded to mix plugs!) I am aware of it's reputation, (thank you for adding!) as the only TDM reverb realy worth using.
I haven't got it yet but I will soon. Thanks!

I can make use of that demo now!

Do you go AES i/o with your 480? I can get 2 seperate stereo FX at once with the M3000 too, but the output comes only out of one stereo AES out. Do you get 2 on the Lex 480?
Old 12-05-1999, 05:35 PM

I am just using it analog 2in 4 out out of the 888. I use 3 & 4 for the send and 5/6 for Machine 1 and 7/78 for machine 2 and return them to auxes.

George
www.classicrecording.com
Old 12-05-1999, 07:03 PM

Carumba! George! You need the AES option for your Lex! it will knock your socks off! Fer Petes sake, look into it man! Report back or I will picket outside your studio with a big sign!

Hoolio
Old 12-06-1999, 11:56 AM

Julian, Julian.....

I thought you did not like Lexicon or are you just talking about AES interface in general? How much difference is there on your 3K doing AES?

Seriously, I did consider it, can't remember how much extra it is. I might get it. It requires a wierd interface from a db9 connector I think. I know that is what is on the back of the 480 for it. Guess it is a db9 to XLR breakout assembly plus an internal card or chip. I will look into it. If anyone knows, let me know here!!!

I will consider it, thanks. You're welcome to come see us anytime you're in Nashville. You don't have to bring a picket sign.....

George
www.classicrecording.com
Old 12-06-1999, 01:59 PM

George and/or Jules:

I called a couple of retail stores regarding a question I had, but they didn't know the answer to it.

Assuming I'm playing back via the AD8000, are my powered monitors connected via the AD8000 or the ProControl? I assume the ProControl.

Thanks.
Old 12-06-1999, 02:19 PM

Mini:

The speakers hook up to the Pro-Control. You will see in the manual. There are 3 db25 (DA-88) type connectors on the PC. You will bring analog audio via two XLR cables from the 8K into the inputs on the cable on the PC and then your speakers connectors to the control room out on the output connector. These 3 cables DB-25-XLR ARE NOT included with your Pro-Control.. You will need to get them from your dealer or from some place like MARS, RAPCO, HOSA, CABLE-UP etc. etc. Make sure you get the proper connectors as in Male or Female to either input or output on the PC.

Geez.....I think you need to consider a different dealer if they did not know that. What else will they NOT know?

Don't know where you are but I would suggest considering Sweetwater Sound. I got my whole system there. Here is my email address. Mail me and I will give you the owner's email address. He will make you a good deal. They are the largest Digi dealer in the country. If fact he just got his own that he is putting in his house. They have a great tech support team to help you get up and running..

[email protected]

George Cumbee, Pres.
Classic Recording, Franklin, TN
www.classicrecording.com
www.classicrecording.com