Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 09-19-2018, 07:39 PM

Default Re: I wonder if any of you have a solution for this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
+1
+1
Old 09-19-2018, 11:54 PM

Hey all,

I don't believe that even having a direct clone would have helped me here, as I think there is some odd glitch in that particular computer that prevented my PT10 partition from recognizing my PT12 partition as a startup disk.

Also, what clone would I use? A clone of my PT10 partition? I don't believe that would have made any difference. A clone of my PT12 partition? Neither Disk Utility nor Disk Warrior showed any problems. I still believe that my problem was only fixable (possibly) by entering Terminal mode to free up some odd bottleneck. Or by doing what I did...make an external drive with a more current Mac OS, remove all other system disks, thereby forcing the computer to boot into High Sierra or Sierra. The reason I couldn't do that without creating that disk first is that both my PT10 and PT12 partitions come from the same SSD. Thus, I couldn't just unmount just the PT10 partition. You get what I'm saying?

Still, I'll give CCC another look. Ya know, the truth on that (cloning via Carbon CC) is I've never had great luck with it on boot disks. I own the program (CCC), but in the past, it seems like I have had licenses on my computer that present problems in trying to make an exact, bootable clone.

Maybe I'll give it another try and then post questions here if I run into problems...

Thanks, all...
Old 09-20-2018, 12:35 AM

Uh yes clone backups are exactly what you should be using. Anything at all goes wrong... you attach one of the several clones you have... Option+reboot, select it and are off and running.
Old 09-20-2018, 02:13 AM

CCC boot drive clones are EXACT copies.

If you had trouble with licenses, they may have used an authorisation scheme tied to the drive, hence cloning to another drive will lose those authorisations. It’s happened to me in the past with certain software.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-24-2018, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyv View Post
Hey all,

Thanks to EVERYONE for the excellent suggestions.

Here's how we got the computer back online.

I took a brand new external hard drive and downloaded a brand new High Sierra system onto it.

Then, I installed that drive into our Mac Pro Tower, while at the same time, I removed the SSD containing our PT10 and PT12 System partitions.

I booted up the Mac Pro tower from the new High Sierra system drive. So far, so good.

I shut down the Mac Pro, and while leaving the High Sierra drive installed, I re-inserted the SSD with our PT System partitions.

Once the computer booted (onto High Sierra), I could see our PT10 and PT12 System partitions in the "Startup Disk" window within System Preferences.

I could then choose our PT12 System partition, rebooted the computer and all is well again.

Probably the best part of this is that I now have a fresh High Sierra drive, and before removing it from the Mac Pro, I installed PTHD 2018.7 onto it, so that we could at least quickly launch a PT session if one of our System drives crashed. It will be nice to have that as a quick backup, although the truth is (knock on wood), we haven't had a System drive failure or even glitch for years, as we keep on top of our drives' health continually. We may ultimately decide to erase our PTHD10 System partition, since at this time, we are comfortable with not needed a PT10 partition going forward.

Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions.

PS. Sardi, I believe you are right. This was not a hard drive or partition problem. It was a "terminal" problem (we had this scenario once before and used Terminal commands to get back online, but for whatever reason, this time the Terminal commands weren't solving the issue). Our sister computer has never had this issue once (switching between a PT10 partition and a PT12 partition), and I think there is something in this particular computer's firmware that caused this little glitch.
My MBP is set up with an SSD and 2 boot partitions. Lion and Sierra. This has happened to me one time for another reason and all I did was ZAP the PRAM and the Sierra disk showed up once again.

www.sugarhillstudios713.com