Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2018, 07:22 AM

Default Odd Transport Behavior

It has been very rare that I have an error, or crash, or some glitch with Pro Tools that I cannot attribute to a goofy plug in, or some loose screw behind the keyboard, .

But here is one I encountered that I have no clue what happened to cause it or how it got fixed;

Saturday evening, finished a mix session. Worked for about 10 hours, and as usual, no issues.

Monday, had an open house for some past/potential clients so fired up Pro Tools to show some demos and then it happened:
Opened up a recent session, and hit "play" on the Artist Mix. Nothing. Hit the space bar. Nothing. Clicked Play on the transport window. Nothing again. WTF???

Checked my configuration, and every thing was copacetic, Artist Mix, Eucon, Play Back, all OK.

Quit Pro Tools, trashed preferences (thanks as always Pete) and re-launched Pro Tools.

Opened different session. Hit play on the AM. Nuttin. Click and spacebar, same nuttin. Then I notice that BOTH the stop and the play button are light up. Again, WTF???

Rebooted iMac. Rinse and repeat. Same thing. Pro Tools has both the stop and play button illuminated.

Scratched my head, then my behind. Rebooted iMac once again, the launched Pro Tools.

This time every damn session I brought up, Pro Tools behaved like a gentleman.

Play on AM, perfect play. Faders, perfect. iPad app, perfect. Play on the transport window, perfect. Spacebar, perfect. Luckily I tend to be of a very cautious nature, and did all of this well in advance of anyone's arrival.
I dunno what happened, but all is good. Back to normal, working without a hitch.

"If the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence, well, it is likely due to the amount of manure being spread on that side of the fence." Cowboy Bob

Squaw Creek Road Studio

Bob
Pro Tools Ultimate (2024.3.1)| Pro Tools Carbon | Sibelius Ultimate (2024.3.1)
|
M2 Max Mac Studio w/64GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Mac OS 14.4.1| (Main Rig) |
3.6GHz 8-core 9th-generation Intel Core i9 processor iMac w/40GB RAM | 1TB SSD | macOS Ventura 13.3.1 |

Avid Eleven Rack ERXP | Focusrite Clarett 8Pre X |