Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2003, 03:43 AM

Default Edit/Mix window placement wrong each time!

Hi,
I am running the latest Pro Tools LE.
This has been bugging me for over a year, I found no solution, so I have to ask you lot if you get the samething, maybe it's a bug within the software.

Everytime, every projects I open, Pro Tools put the mix/edit etc. windows in the wrong place:
Too low! (leaving a little space between the top of the window and the bottom going under the Task Bar - hope it makes sense).

It seems like it is putting them like I am using a MAC OS with no task bar at the bottom of the screen but on the top instead?

My saves never save the positions of the mix and edit windows. Ok, it remembers it, but wrongly, because it moved them slightly lower than I had put it. What ever I do I can't work out how to make it remember the Windows positions I used last time. So each time I open a project I have to move the Edit/Mix windows manual - up a little - into the right space. Very time consuming and annoying.

Anyone have this problem too? A solution? [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
Old 07-14-2003, 06:08 AM

Default Re: Edit/Mix window placement wrong each time!

If you're running 6.1, there is currently no solution, however, if you're running 5.3.x, search for swaphappy's windowplacer here on the DUC.
Old 07-14-2003, 06:13 AM

Actually I have never seen that.
Weird problem. You could use WindowPlacer.
You have that already, right?
Old 07-14-2003, 06:22 AM

Hey Swap, since you're around about today, how about some hints as to a possible windowplacer v2.0 for the new 6.1!
Old 07-14-2003, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Cavell:
Hey Swap, since you're around about today, how about some hints as to a possible windowplacer v2.0 for the new 6.1!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Ah... Ok
Well its like this Chris,
I don't have 6.1 yet,
But if I ever get it
I will be sure to make
WindowPlacer do its thing.
I check the Digi store, 6.1 is not offered yet
and 6.0 is out of stock so buying a Mac won't help either
Old 07-14-2003, 06:38 AM

How do I get WindowPlacer? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
I already searched the DUC.. not found it yet.

My problem has something to do with the MAC?
The last record I did was recorded on Pro Tools LE MAC and PC.. so the exchange from MAC to my PC forward and backwards must have messed the window placements up. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
Old 07-14-2003, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Cavell:
how about some hints as to a possible windowplacer v2.0 for the new 6.1!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That is no longer a solution, it is way past time for Digi to address this.
If they could take the step to add Rewire then they could fix the dual monitor window placement problem.
After Swap's application it was like people acted as if the problem no longer existed, when they should have acted like his application shows how easily it could be resolved.
Digi seems to be more involved in addressing the current market buzz words not getting rid certain problems.
Don't get me wrong the buzz is pretty much what makes you competitive but you can't overlook functionality.
We don't need a new bandaid we need a cure.
There are generally always workarounds for any problem, the question is whether or not you should have to do the workaround or is it a problem that should be dealt with.

DISCLAIMER

Nothing personal toward Digidesign they are still making great progress
Old 07-14-2003, 06:50 AM

Hi Swaphappy,

I've been using Windowplacer for a while, thanks.
But I have alot of problems getting it to work consistantly. Does Windplacer save a particular session's window placement or does it save Protools window placement so that every session should have the same mix and edit window positions?

Thanks,
Marc
Old 07-14-2003, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SHRED:
How do I get WindowPlacer? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
I already searched the DUC.. not found it yet.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Look in the DUC FAQ stuck at the top of the forum.
The link is in there.

RunRun, that has been my position on this too.
WindowPlacer is not a real solution to the problem. I would like to see Digi add dual monitor support.
In saying this, I have to admit that Digi probably did not go to any work on this for the Mac side. The Mac inherently just has dual monitor support built into the Mac platform. So Digi is not playing favorites even though it seems that way.
Still I know it wouldn't be that hard for them to
add it to the PC software. I could do a much better job if I had the SDK for PTLE
For Digi from within the Protools code it would be a piece of cake to save the locations of all the windows, not just the mix and edit.
And this could be done for each session not just a blanket approach like I am stuck with.
(Marc that answers your question I think).
It's a shame they can't take the hint.
Over three hundred users of WindowPlacer means
there IS a demand.
So lets get on the stick Digi.
Dual Monitor support, PaaaaaaLEASE, soon ok.