Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2011, 08:36 AM

Default Dual Monitors window placement

As I continue my migration from Mac to Win, there are some peculiarities that I wonder about.

This week it is dual monitor display: When I open Pro Tools, there is an outer encompassing window that encloses the Edit window and the Mix window. If I click on the "Maximize" button on this window, it will maximize to fill one monitor, and I cannot place the Edit or Mix on the other monitor. To do this, I must deselect "maximize" and manually re-size the PT window to cover both displays.

Is this normal? I'm sure that on the Mac I could freely place the windows wherever I wanted. If that's "just the way it is", I guess I'll live with it. But if there's a configuration thing or video driver setting I can change, it would be a little less irksome.

Thanks,
Old 12-09-2011, 10:55 AM

Default Re: Dual Monitors window placement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Campbell View Post
As I continue my migration from Mac to Win, there are some peculiarities that I wonder about.

This week it is dual monitor display: When I open Pro Tools, there is an outer encompassing window that encloses the Edit window and the Mix window. If I click on the "Maximize" button on this window, it will maximize to fill one monitor, and I cannot place the Edit or Mix on the other monitor. To do this, I must deselect "maximize" and manually re-size the PT window to cover both displays.

Is this normal? I'm sure that on the Mac I could freely place the windows wherever I wanted. If that's "just the way it is", I guess I'll live with it. But if there's a configuration thing or video driver setting I can change, it would be a little less irksome.

Thanks,
Ray thats exactly the way I do it on my system. Once you have got it sorted every time you open pro tools it will fill both screens

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 5.1 12 Core 3.46hz Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Old 12-09-2011, 11:56 AM

Once you have stretched the main window to fill both screens, and placed and stretched your MIX and EDIT windows, close the session with Alt-F4. After that, it should always open correctly(mine does at least).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-10-2011, 04:38 AM

OK. Thanks. I'll stop wondering about this one.

In fact, when I started my session yesterday, it did revert to the two-screen stretch.

I suppose it's kind of handy to be able to hit the "maximize" button to force it to one monitor when hunting around on the desktop. Although that means you can't move the window when it's in it's smaller, maximized state.

Only in Pro-Tools land does "maximize" mean "make it smaller'.

Ray