Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2002, 06:42 AM

Default PT HD interface confusion needs to be adressed...

Although I generally think the new system is spec'ed well, the whole i/o system is confusing with some strange limitations on certain configurations. [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Of course, now it's too late to ask Digi to change anything but I can't help feeling that a lot of users will be paying for i/o features they don't need or they will be missing certain features that they feel they should have had for the price they're paying. (Which is sky high - no matter what Digi is trying to say.)

Europe is swamped with cheap i/o boxes that offer 96/24 at a much lover price than a 192 or 96 PT¡HD interface.

I would have liked to have seen a simple and economic modular i/o concept in channels of eight . The 192 and 96 are actually a step backwards from PTmix in this regard.

Where is the all-digital 96 for example?

The result is that people in the beginning will have a mix of different i/o boxes and cables which is undesirable both for Digi and the users.

Sales in this region of 888/24s plummeted in 2000/2001 when people discovered that a combination of an ADAT Bridge and 2 RMEs gave them better performance and more outputs at the same price.

I fully understand Digi's wish to be the only converter available for ProTools as long as they are in the h/w business. Although annoying and (probably) more expensive for users, it creates a strong brand identity and the ability to guarantee performance and reliabilty to a much higher degree (like Apple or some of the better HD recording systems).

I tried the AD8000 with the PT option a few years back and was NOT impressed with it's reliabilty. (that might have changed so pleased don't flame me for that...)

Today, computer audio users are demanding a lot more than we did ten years ago. We have achieved an unprecented level of reliable performance in computer based recording, but at the same time we're also much more demanding than we used to be (why do think Digi has added a legacy port?) and competition in the industry is fierce.

So I would like to give Digi a bunch of 192 roses:

[img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img]
The red flower for continuing to set new industry standards AND hosting this open forum.

A__A_A___AA___A_A___A_A
The thorns for having to go back to the drawing board and beef up the i/o interface options for your new flagship. But don't throw away those blueprints for PT/OS X in the process... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-21-2002, 03:39 AM

Default Re: PT HD interface confusion needs to be adressed...

bump