Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2008, 08:36 AM

Default Problem with Delay on RTAS Plug-ins

I've been having an unusual problem while instantiating RTAS plug-ins.

Allow me to first say that I'm running ProTools HD 7.3.1 on Mac OS X v.10.4.10 (Dual 2.7 PPC G5, 2.5 GB RAM, HD2). Also, I am using Delay Compensation.

I first noticed the problem when instantiating Waves IR1 onto an Auxilliary track (reverb bus)....The amount of delay spikes to 8228 samples of delay. While running tests, I noticed that I can instantiate this same plug-in on an "audio" track with no delay at all. I've also noticed that if I place this plug-in on an Aux track, whose bussing is not changed from the original input/output, only 10ms is added. As soon as I attempt to change the the INPUT of that track (i.e., SFX Bus), the delay on that track then spikes to 8228 samples. Once this happens, ANY RTAS plug-in instantiated on this track has this amout of delay added (Waves, Digi, Sony). This problem occurs whether or not Delay Compensation is on.

Additionally, any time I place a TDM plug-in on any track before an RTAS plug-in, 8228 samples of additional delay is added. This may be an entirely different problem in itself, but this same number (8228 samples) continues to come up.

I have deleted all of my preferences, hoping that was the issue, but apparently it's not. Any insight you might have will be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
Jeff
Old 03-31-2008, 02:29 PM

Default Re: Problem with Delay on RTAS Plug-ins

...Digi????
Old 03-31-2008, 07:46 PM

Quote:
I've been having an unusual problem while instantiating RTAS plug-ins.

Allow me to first say that I'm running ProTools HD 7.3.1 on Mac OS X v.10.4.10 (Dual 2.7 PPC G5, 2.5 GB RAM, HD2). Also, I am using Delay Compensation.

I first noticed the problem when instantiating Waves IR1 onto an Auxilliary track (reverb bus)....The amount of delay spikes to 8228ms of delay. While running tests, I noticed that I can instantiate this same plug-in on an "audio" track with no delay at all. I've also noticed that if I place this plug-in on an Aux track, whose bussing is not changed from the original input/output, only 10ms is added. As soon as I attempt to change the the INPUT of that track (i.e., SFX Bus), the delay on that track then spikes to 8228ms. Once this happens, ANY RTAS plug-in instantiated on this track has this amout of delay added (Waves, Digi, Sony). This problem occurs whether or not Delay Compensation is on.

Additionally, any time I place a TDM plug-in on any track before an RTAS plug-in, 8228ms of additional delay is added. This may be an entirely different problem in itself, but this same number (8228ms) continues to come up.

I have deleted all of my preferences, hoping that was the issue, but apparently it's not. Any insight you might have will be much appreciated.

This is how RTAS plug-ins work. When you place one or more RTAS plug-ins on an audio track prior to any TDM plug-ins, then their latency is calculated into the disk buffer, and they effectively have no latency. If you place a RTAS plug-in after a TDM plug-in on an audio track, then the RTAS plug-in latency cannot be included in the disk buffer, and the RTAS plug-in gets delayed by its latency (ish) plus twice the RTAS buffer set in the playback engine. This will cause fairly large compensation delay, and in the case of the extremely latent IR-1, will exceed the compensation buffer. An aux fader has no disk buffer, so any RTAS plug-ins must loop thru their RTAS buffer. If you put an audio track into record that has a RTAS plug-in on it, it can no longer use the disk buffer and the plug-in is automatically disabled while in input or record. You can defeat this by placing a RTAS plug-in after a TDM plug-in but you will hear the latency while recording. Once you have looped out of an aux into RTAS world, you can string several together without adding any additional latency (with some RTAS plug-ins).

STeve
Old 04-02-2008, 09:21 AM

I've been experiencing the same problem, but have resolved it. Check this out:

http://akmedia.digidesign.com/suppor...tems_33000.pdf

it certainly helped me out!
Old 04-02-2008, 09:33 AM

Thank you for the responses. Since my original posting, I was able to test another HD system to see if I could recreate my delay issue, but could not. This seems to be an individual issue with my system. I guess my next step will be to reinstall PTHD, unless anyone else might have any words of wisdom.
Thanks,
Jeff