Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2002, 09:44 AM

Default Rhodes and KB issues/discussions

I've been incorporating more and more of this
beautiful instrument - and the Wurlitzer - in some of my newer material but I was wondering if there are any tips on properly recording them?

In fact, let me admit that no, it's not a real Rhodes but a a patch from Roland 60s/70's expansion card (which offers truly remarkable sounds!).
My gripe is that I can't seem to capture the full dynamic range of the sound, as if most of it seems to get choked up once recorded. I'm sure it would be different with the real thing, for as good as the kb patch sounds, it can never be as good as the real thing.

I'm also curious to know if anyone else out there is as enthused about a good Wurly or Rhodes sound as I am.

Perhaps we can discuss all vintage keyboards here?
(Farfisa, Rox,Wurly, Rhodes, Mellotron, Clavinet, etc.)

pk
Old 05-01-2002, 11:07 AM

Default Re: Rhodes and KB issues/discussions

Check out the yahoo group:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rhodes/

very helpful folks there and some good links to other sites.

A big part of the Rhodes "sound" IMO, is being produced through the 12" speakers with the stereo vibrato i.e. the "Suitcase" model.

I have a MKII 73 that sounds very nice through a Roland JVC-120. Also my KOrg SG-1 has a nice Rhodes patch that records very well directly from the keyboard but still isn't quite the "real thing".

Cheers,
Toby
Old 05-01-2002, 01:52 PM

thanks for the link Toby, cool stuff...

I suppose I could plug my Roland xp-30 into my
Fender Princeton amp? It's only one 12" speaker but I'll give it a shot and mic the signal into the 001.

thanks again,

pk
Old 05-01-2002, 02:23 PM

I love the Rhodes sound! My Korg Triton has some pretty hot E.P.'s on the piano expansion board, but I'm thinking about getting a Kurzweil PC2. Have you heard the Rhodes on that thing??? I really dig it.
Check out the Musiq Soulchild CD if you like R&B. They have some great rhodes sounds on virtually every track.
Here's a good source for info...
www.fenderrhodes.org
Old 05-01-2002, 05:00 PM

I'm lucky enough to have access to the real thing, and a very hot player to go with it. At the moment I plug it into a Behringer V-amp add a bit of drive for dirtiness and select the vibrato effect.
You can hear an exmple on a track called "Set Sail" that I've submitted for the DUC Compilation CD.

Our guitarist also has a good version of the Rhodes sound on his GR33, but it's still just not the real thing. Actually, the GR33 version can also be heard in the DUC CD folder in the track called "Daddy's Arms".

let me know what you think

Mark
Old 05-02-2002, 06:13 AM

I haven't even used my Rhodes since I got my Yamaha s-80. Best PLAYING patches around. I can't get by without a real wurly, tho - the action is too good to be recreated properly