Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2002, 03:34 PM

Default Re: Best System for PTLE for under $1000.00

Man, I'm major bummed. I built my computer to Allen's specs without any real problems. I ordered Digi 001 and got it installed fine last Friday. Used it all through Saturday and it was running great. Yesterday, I imported an old ADAT session and spent all day cleaning it up and mixing it. I had it sounding great and decide to bounce it to a Stereo Interleaved file. About halfway through the process, the computer stopped and this horrible clicking bizzing sound came through the speakers. The "blue screen of death" popped up and told me I had a major problem. I tried to reboot it and the BIOS loaded fine. XP started loading and then the "blue screen of death" popped back up and told me I had an "unmountable boot drive". I can't get the thing to boot back up. Tonight I thought I'd pull all the PCI cards and try it that way first. If that doesn't work, I'll pull the Promise controller and go back to the onboard controller. If that doesn't work I'm stumped. Any ideas? Suggestions? Prayers? Thanks.

Rick

P.S. It was cool while it lasted.
Old 12-09-2002, 06:27 PM

Rick, what does the first few lines of the blue screen say? It may help.
Old 12-09-2002, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by RickyBob:
the "blue screen of death" popped back up and told me I had an "unmountable boot drive".

Rick

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Try here:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=297185
Old 12-09-2002, 07:41 PM

Porting this post over from the other forum, where I fear it might not get read:

Phil:

I just build an Allen Computer over the weekend with the A7V333 and a Volcano 9. Can you tell me how you set up the fan to use the variable speed features through the motherboard. I'm having a hard time figuring it out.

Specifically, how to set up the fan (I have the one you can set up in the three different ways), and where on the motherboard it gets plugged in.

Oh, and Allen, Phil and others, thanks a lot for all your advice here. This was my first self-built machine, and everything's running great so far.
Old 12-09-2002, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by markmcc:
Porting this post over from the other forum, where I fear it might not get read:

Phil:

I just build an Allen Computer over the weekend with the A7V333 and a Volcano 9. Can you tell me how you set up the fan to use the variable speed features through the motherboard. I'm having a hard time figuring it out.

Specifically, how to set up the fan (I have the one you can set up in the three different ways), and where on the motherboard it gets plugged in.

Oh, and Allen, Phil and others, thanks a lot for all your advice here. This was my first self-built machine, and everything's running great so far.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">My Volcano 9 came with the jumpers plugged in all ready for manual operation. All I had to do was secure it over the CPU and plug it in to the power for CPU fan. Then just adjust the fan speed with the variable control. I left mine sticking out the back of the computer for easy access.
Good luck,
Allen [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-09-2002, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by RickyBob:
Man, I'm major bummed. I built my computer to Allen's specs without any real problems. I ordered Digi 001 and got it installed fine last Friday. Used it all through Saturday and it was running great. Yesterday, I imported an old ADAT session and spent all day cleaning it up and mixing it. I had it sounding great and decide to bounce it to a Stereo Interleaved file. About halfway through the process, the computer stopped and this horrible clicking bizzing sound came through the speakers. The "blue screen of death" popped up and told me I had a major problem. I tried to reboot it and the BIOS loaded fine. XP started loading and then the "blue screen of death" popped back up and told me I had an "unmountable boot drive". I can't get the thing to boot back up. Tonight I thought I'd pull all the PCI cards and try it that way first. If that doesn't work, I'll pull the Promise controller and go back to the onboard controller. If that doesn't work I'm stumped. Any ideas? Suggestions? Prayers? Thanks.

Rick

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Sounds like you are doing everything right here. Start simple and work your way back up. That is a strange one I'll have to admit and may be a bad hard drive.
Old 12-09-2002, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Allen Hallada:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by markmcc:

Phil:

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">My Volcano 9 came with the jumpers plugged in all ready for manual operation. All I had to do was secure it over the CPU and plug it in to the power for CPU fan. Then just adjust the fan speed with the variable control. I left mine sticking out the back of the computer for easy access.
Good luck,
<hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Thanks Allen. That's how I've got mine set up.

I have it turned all the way down, assuming that it will jack it up when it gets too hot. Is that how it works?

Mark
Old 12-10-2002, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeffro:
Hello,
I think it was the XP 2000+ that people were able to get working well. Some people tried the XP 2100+ and it was unstable. I think for some it worked.

You may want to get a second opinion though.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">1800, 2100 and 2400 have all been equally stable for me. I've had more trouble with the 2700, but that is probably due to a new on the market mobo and its quirks - BIOS updates (when available) should make it equally stable.

And I was incorrect insofar as RAM - of course it's mobo dependent - it's just that most boards DO use DDR RAM these days.

PT 2023.6 Ultimate (Perpetual) | Avid Carbon | M1 Max Mac Studio; 32 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.

PT 2023.6 Studio (Perpetual) | M1 MacBook Air; 16 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.
Old 12-10-2002, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by markmcc:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Allen Hallada:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by markmcc:

Phil:

Good luck,
<hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Thanks Allen. That's how I've got mine set up.

I have it turned all the way down, assuming that it will jack it up when it gets too hot. Is that how it works?

Mark
<hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Mark, I replied to this over on the Win Config forum in some detail. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

PT 2023.6 Ultimate (Perpetual) | Avid Carbon | M1 Max Mac Studio; 32 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.

PT 2023.6 Studio (Perpetual) | M1 MacBook Air; 16 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.
Old 12-10-2002, 04:08 AM

this thread is immensely long so to save me pouring over every last word, can someone tell me the disadvantages/problems associated with using the onboard promise raid controller on the asus boards?