Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2015, 10:13 AM

Default Blank Pro tools session Icon in finder Mac

Long story short last week I had to re-instal my PT 11 on my system and all went well. I did however notice right away that all my session icons in folders were blank. They still open fine but they are blank in folder. meaning they don’t say pro tools any more. still have the .ptx on naming scheme. I did find that older PT 9 session displayed correctly. Has this happen to anyone? Can anyone help? Thanks

Best
Luis Galdames
Old 11-30-2015, 11:19 AM

Default Re: Blank Pro tools session Icon in finder Mac

try repairing disc permissions
Old 12-01-2015, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapistola View Post
Long story short last week I had to re-instal my PT 11 on my system and all went well. I did however notice right away that all my session icons in folders were blank. They still open fine but they are blank in folder. meaning they don’t say pro tools any more. still have the .ptx on naming scheme. I did find that older PT 9 session displayed correctly. Has this happen to anyone? Can anyone help? Thanks

Best
Luis Galdames
Which version of OSX and PT11? No problems here in either OSX 10.8.5 or OSX 10.9.5 with PT11.3.1.

QAPLA!
Old 12-01-2015, 06:06 PM

Post Re: Blank Pro tools session Icon in finder Mac

This sounds like a problem with the LaunchServices database.

Rebuild LaunchServices. Proceed at your own risk. I am not responsible if bad things happen to your system should you proceed as described in that article.
Old 12-01-2015, 09:29 PM

I agree, this sounds like it has to do with Launchservices, but this is what I would do:
Right-click on a PT file.
"Get info".
"Open with", set to Pro Tools.
"Cange all" (or similar. Translated from norwegian system.)
If it's greyed out you'll have to click the little safety-lock and enter a administrator password.

Anyway, on mac this is the standard procedure for setting what application opens which kind of file types, and it should fix the icons.
Old 12-03-2015, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Technician View Post
This sounds like a problem with the LaunchServices database.

Rebuild LaunchServices. Proceed at your own risk. I am not responsible if bad things happen to your system should you proceed as described in that article.
That article only deals with multiple entries in the 'open with' menu and not blank program icons. It has to be something systemic with OSX though as this same thing happens with Digital Performer. The odd thing though is one remedy is to reinstall DP and one gets the DP program icon back on session files.

QAPLA!
Old 12-03-2015, 11:12 AM

Post Re: Blank Pro tools session Icon in finder Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
It has to be something systemic with OSX though as this same thing happens with Digital Performer.
Perhaps the resource fork of these files is corrupted. That is the only other method I am aware of that the OS would use to match an icon to a file type. The primary way this has been done since Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard was with file extensions (.ptx, for example).
Old 09-09-2016, 01:45 PM

Hi,

I actually have the same problem running PT 12.5.2 on Yosemite.
Unfortunately not sure anymore when it happened.
The Get Info Window shows the icon correctly, I can even copy it and paste to another file's or folder's icon.
Just not to the ptx file itself.
I have a feeling it has something to do with Preview. The "Preview" tab in the Get Info window in Yosemite normally shows the file icon if there's nor other info available (like for example the content of a pdf).
Also with the "global" Get Info window (alt-cmd-i) I can switch between files quickly and get info for each file selected instantly. When quickly jumping between a ptx file and any other file, the ptx icon shows up for a very short time when jumping back to it in the Preview tab but then disappears.
Very weird...

Pete

Mac Pro Mid 2010
PT 12.5.2
Yosemite 10.10.5

Last edited by soundgott; 09-09-2016 at 01:59 PM.
Old 10-06-2016, 06:30 AM

I had the same issue of the missing PT icon with a brand new system. I was able to fix it by doing a safe boot. I saw Chef's disclaimer (Hi Chief, we know each other)! and didn't want to try his remedy unless utterly necessary.

To load your Mac in Safe Mode, press and hold the Shift key while it boots. You can stop holding the Shift key when you see an Apple logo and progress bar. To leave Safe Mode, just reboot your Mac without holding the Shift key.
Old 10-07-2016, 08:08 AM

Talking Re: Blank Pro tools session Icon in finder Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyx1 View Post
I had the same issue of the missing PT icon with a brand new system. I was able to fix it by doing a safe boot. I saw Chef's disclaimer (Hi Chief, we know each other)! and didn't want to try his remedy unless utterly necessary.
Hi Jonny! Glad you were able to resolve the issue with a less invasive method. I hope you are well!