Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2013, 08:59 PM

Default Problems pasting over existing regions

Hello fellow techies. I am new to the forum and to protools but super excited. I have learned a lot about he program in the last year or so in our home studio. We have been working on our first cd for years. Getting our interface to sync with Protools 9 was the biggest step to getting a quality studio sound. it really made a huge difference in the sound over a few competitors. But now we are in the exciting world of mixing and editing. So the issue:

I have had problems when I have copied a portion of a region
and pasted directly over another region. It seems to play both regions simultaneously. Is that supposed to happen. Could this be a glitch or a certain mode I'm unaware of? I have even selected the audio from the original region and and hit delete. Then pasted over the blank part of the track and the same thing happened. I could hear both regions. Weird.

PreThanks
Dan
Old 02-17-2013, 11:22 PM

Default Re: Problems pasting over existing regions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Franke View Post
Hello fellow techies. I am new to the forum and to protools but super excited. I have learned a lot about he program in the last year or so in our home studio. We have been working on our first cd for years. Getting our interface to sync with Protools 9 was the biggest step to getting a quality studio sound. it really made a huge difference in the sound over a few competitors. But now we are in the exciting world of mixing and editing. So the issue:

I have had problems when I have copied a portion of a region
and pasted directly over another region. It seems to play both regions simultaneously. Is that supposed to happen. Could this be a glitch or a certain mode I'm unaware of? I have even selected the audio from the original region and and hit delete. Then pasted over the blank part of the track and the same thing happened. I could hear both regions. Weird.

PreThanks
Dan
Hi,

Solo the track and see if you still hear 2 regions?

Are you sure you are hearing 2 separate regions? Not one region with a delay on it.

It's not possible for one track to play 2 regions at the same time! Must be some routing issue and you are hearing either the same region with a delay or the region you copied is still playing on another track somehow.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:24 PM

Pro Tools can do some pretty strange things if it's running on a computer that isn't compatible with it. I'm not saying yours falls in this category, but posting some info about your system may help us solve your problem.

The first question is; Are your sessions on a separate drive to your OS? Also, have you done any updates on v9. I believe v 9.0.6 is the latest.

Use SiSoftware's Sandra Lite application to generate a full system profile:

www.sisoftware.co.uk

Under SiSoftware Sandra, click on "Download & Buy" to download the free Sandra Lite version or purchase other versions. After installing Sandra, click on the 'Hardware' tab and run the 'Computer Overview', then copy and paste into your post here on the DUC.

The more information you can provide, the easier it will be for Tech Support and other users to assist you - take the time now to document everything you can and you'll save time in the long run. We can't express enough the importance of describing everything in extreme detail - remember, no one here can see how your gear is configured, so we need an accurate description by you to get a clear picture. The better we can envision your setup, the easier it will be to troubleshoot.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 02-19-2013, 10:01 AM

I worked on some other sessions today and haven't had any further problems with it. It is helpful to know that protools can't play more than one region at a time per track. I don't think I had any delay on it. I can't explain it either though. Thanks for the posts. I guess as long as its working now I will just assume it was my mistake. I'll let you know if it happens again and will work on my profile info.