Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2012, 03:52 PM

Default Fresh install...bad, bad, bad....

Okay.... I've been running PT 9 on a Win 7 64x system for over a year and it has worked flawlessly. (Dual core 2.6, Tascam FW-1884, 4 GB Ram, 650 GB system drive, 320 GB recording drive) I could run 20+ tracks with lots of plugins and it worked perfectly. Well, last week it happened.... my system hard drive failed so I had to do a fresh install of Windows 7 and PT. (on a new hard drive). Anyway, I've done all the Win 7 optimizations and such, but PT is unusable. Pops and crackles in every song, even with only a few plugins. I have a cd project over half way done and now I can't mix any of the sessions at all. Not sure what else to try.... I've disbled network cards, turned off AV, made sure I'm using the Legacy FW drivers..... nothing helps...

Any thoughts?
Old 09-02-2012, 04:32 PM

A Sandra report would really help.

esp. would be good to know the exact make/model of the disk drives and how they are connected,

What are all the settings in the Playback Engines dialog?

Have you followed the usual steps of trashing preferences, database etc.?

If you create a new session with no plugins does this problem occur? Can you add plugins and get the problem to reoccur?

Are you running VI plugins? What drive are the VI samples stored on?

You are very sure you are not accidentally recording to the system drive? Double check, it is easy to do.

Darryl
Old 09-02-2012, 04:53 PM

Default Re: Fresh install...bad, bad, bad....

Sadly, this is yet another example of why you(everybody) should be using some system of backup. If you had saved a drive image with Acronis True Image(or similar) would could have popped in a drive and restored from the image, and be back to work Not only do I have images for PT10.2(what I am running), 10.1.2, 10(with no updates) and 9.0.3(9.0.6 sucked here),so I can restore to any of those configurations, I also have cloned system drives of my current setup, and the last solid setup. I can have a total system crash and be up and running in 5 seconds longer than the usual boot time, or restored from any of those images over the course of a lunch break.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-03-2012, 07:53 AM

Well fortunately AND unfortunately I have it working but don't have a clue why. This morning I unplugged my wireless adapter again (I did this yesterday and it didn't help at all) but this time when I opened Pro Tools it worked properly. Go figure. Of course I haven't loaded any of my Waves plugins but I don't know if I'll even bother. It's working right now and I'm ok with that.
Windows 7 64 bit
8 GB DDR2 Ram
600 GB System Drive, 320 GB Recording Drive
Tascam FW-1884, ART Tube Opto 8
Old 09-03-2012, 10:50 AM

Implement a backup into your daily routine. You might be having intermittent problems with your motherboard or your power supply- could explain the sudden hard drive failure, or could just be chance. Good luck dude!
Old 09-03-2012, 03:21 PM

and if you save a drive image BEFORE you install Waves, you can revert easily if Waves causes problems

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave