Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2010, 08:13 AM

Question Copying & Pasting Weirdness and Problems.

Every time I copy and paste either Midi Data or Audio the "Play Line" does not jump to where it suppose to go
to paste the next part item.
I will explain:
But this mostly goes for Midi Data, but it also happens in the audio as well.

Lets say I have a loop or Midi Data from bars 1-4
and I want to copy that continuously up to (bar 33).
When I copy that loop or Midi data, the "Play Line" does not auto jump
to (bar 5) to continue the pasting process as it should be.

I would have to manually take the mouse arrow, click it to (bar 5).
and then paste. - Now bar in mind I have to make sure the Quantize is set properly
or the paste would be off.

This is a real pain in the ass to do and very tidious.
Unlike Reason, when you press Copy, the line Auto jumps to (bar 5)
and you can continue to paste, so on and so forth.

In Reason, when I want to copy a Midi Data from (bars 1-4)
It would take me 2 actual seconds to copy those 4 bars continuously up to (bar 33)

Because Reason looks at the actual object you copied and knows it is only (4 bars) long.
and knows where it is exactly placed in the sequencer when its copied,
and it duplicates that automatically without having the need to fuss with the quantization or placement properties.

This is where Digidesign needs to improve on their MIDI functions within Protools.
Because it is not as fast and is extremely tedious than Reason.

I am really trying here and trying to move from Reason to Protools,
but many things in Protools is not up to par with Reason's Midi functions
and editing and sequencing and is preventing me from doing that.

Digidesign also needs to get rid of these bubbled lines.
prevents users from being able to accurately place midi data in precision placement.
Specially when I am used to the "Extremely Fast Work Flow" of Reason's Midi Sequencer.

To get what I am saying, go to Reason and look into their Midi Sequencer.
Play around with copy and paste and
You will get what I am saying within seconds.

Digidesign I hope in future updates you get to fix this.

thanks

Old 01-24-2010, 02:01 PM

Default Re: Copying & Pasting Weirdness and Problems.

I understand what you mean, and I'll try for myself when I get to my studio again....

Have you tried using the Repeat function instead ?

"Well, of course, their requests for subsidies was not Paraguayan in and of it is as it were the United States government would never have if the president, our president, had not and as far as I know thats the way it will always be. Is that clear?"- Chevy Chase, Spies Like Us.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:27 AM

The Repeat is ok. sorta.

But there is still a problem.
Lets say I have a midi sequence that is within one bar.
but in that bar, I need it to be a little off, by having it fall after the 1 beat but on the ( & ) before the 2.
When I do a Repeat, it does not copy the same placement as the previous region midi pattern.
It sticks it right next to it,
Instead of also copying the same location that region was at previously.

For example, 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & 5
When I place a one bar sequence after the 1 by placing it on the &
When I repeat it, it does not repeat the position it exactly is as the previous region like Reason does.

When I repeat it, it should fall after the 1 , on the ( & ) spot.
and continue to fall at that spot when I keep repeating.

What it actually does, is place it right next to the region where I don't want it.

And yes I have my quantize set properly.

I hope I did not confuse anyone.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:54 AM

Y'know, it's just a thought, but, this might very well be the sort of thing that HD might have, or LE with the Complete Production Toolkit or DV Toolkit - just like the additional scrolling features that these products install.
They may even have that switch-to-mono button you were talking about in another thread too (I'd be surprised if HD didn't at least have that feature).

Now if we can just get someone else to confirm, because now you've got me intrigued....

"Well, of course, their requests for subsidies was not Paraguayan in and of it is as it were the United States government would never have if the president, our president, had not and as far as I know thats the way it will always be. Is that clear?"- Chevy Chase, Spies Like Us.