Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2005, 09:23 PM

Default How to use the BF Meterbridge?

Im in the process of pre-mixing some of my student films, but i don't understand how the bombfactory meterbridge works. It has two setting for RMS and Peak. I'll put the reference tone at the beginning of each track and set the meter at -20khz. I know when the peak meter is on, the sound shouldn't go above 0, but what about the VU meter? Is that what the RMS is? My pre-mixes dont sound that great so any help would be appreciated.
Thanks Jeff
Old 05-10-2005, 09:30 AM

Default Re: How to use the BF Meterbridge?

Personally I would get the PSP meters (they are free). The RMS is not really VU and will read 3db low. Don't ask.... The PSP meters really have a VU. Another option , also free, is the "Inspector" from Elemental Audio Systems (makers of some great EQ plugs - mini plug, but I don't work for them). It has a lot more info than levels.

In theory if you set your ref at say -20 dB then +20 would be clipping (digitally). Usually you are "expected" to leave some headroom so you would be looking at not getting much over +10 dB say. THere is an excelent thread by the good Dr. that is at the top of the forum that goes into much detail.
Old 05-11-2005, 01:05 PM

Thanks for the pointers on the "Vintage" & "Inspector". To bad they are RTAS, you can't use them on an AUX track.

Quote:
...and will read 3db low. Don't ask....
don't want to start this up again, I know the BF meter is 3db low but if you put tone into the Inspector and check out the Peak and VU readout you get 3db difference.
Old 05-11-2005, 03:09 PM

Uh oh. Don't get me started.
Old 05-15-2005, 05:42 PM

No, the Inspectors scales are PEEK and RMS, not VU. The PSP are the only meters that I know of that are VU and work under OSX. If Metric Halo ever decides that OSX is actually not going to go away and FINALY update Spectra Foo, well that's the best metering plug I have ever used. But I passed out holding my breath for them to update it and now assume that it will never happen.

SK

Quote:
Thanks for the pointers on the "Vintage" & "Inspector". To bad they are RTAS, you can't use them on an AUX track.

Quote:
...and will read 3db low. Don't ask....
don't want to start this up again, I know the BF meter is 3db low but if you put tone into the Inspector and check out the Peak and VU readout you get 3db difference.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:13 AM

Quote:
If Metric Halo ever decides that OSX is actually not going to go away and FINALY update Spectra Foo, well that's the best metering plug I have ever used. But I passed out holding my breath for them to update it and now assume that it will never happen.
Well, I tried Foo OSX beta last October and it worked great.
Old 05-16-2005, 08:49 PM

spectrafoo OSX beta tdm plugin?

I hope so... I need the spectrafoo in tdm!!!

I wish the elemental audio stuff was tdm or htdm as well.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:09 AM

Quote:
You sure didn't run it with Pro Tools. There's no way to do it. They claim it's possible -- in theory, so I tried their proposal, but it doesn't work... because it needs Core Audio and Pro Tools won't share the Core Audio driver. When talking to Metric Halo directly, they don't seem to have ever tried it themselves.

It does run fine in stand-alone mode, but you need a separate computer and audio hardware dedicated to Foo, then patch the audio from Pro Tools. I've done it this way, and next I'll try setting it up on a laptop for a "portable analyzer".

It's a real shame. It was great in OS 9, and I've given up on them integrating it into Pro Tools on OS X. If I could find any software even *close* to it, I'd jump on it... but I haven't found anything that can do the Spectrum Analyzer or Phase Torch like they do... did.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:11 AM

The PSP meter is great, but since it's RTAS I find it pretty much useless on a TDM system:

No Master faders
No Aux tracks
Old 05-21-2005, 03:18 PM

I'm with you. Nothing I have herd from MH has implied that they care much about their PT customers. Since I bought everything they made for OS9 I thought maybe I could get a little info out of them but it's always been it will happen when it happens and "it's in beta". Well even though I have a sizable investment in there plugs I probably won't upgrade (unless Foo comes out and really works AND nobody else comes out with decent metering for TDM) because I have ZERO confidence that they will upgrade in a timely fashion next time PT or the OS changes and they need to. I think they are all about their hardware these days and the plugs are on a very low priority.
Every time I think of all the cool hardware I could still be using if I hadn't spent the $ on plugins that never made it to OSX.....

Quote:
Quote:
You sure didn't run it with Pro Tools. There's no way to do it. They claim it's possible -- in theory, so I tried their proposal, but it doesn't work... because it needs Core Audio and Pro Tools won't share the Core Audio driver. When talking to Metric Halo directly, they don't seem to have ever tried it themselves.

It does run fine in stand-alone mode, but you need a separate computer and audio hardware dedicated to Foo, then patch the audio from Pro Tools. I've done it this way, and next I'll try setting it up on a laptop for a "portable analyzer".

It's a real shame. It was great in OS 9, and I've given up on them integrating it into Pro Tools on OS X. If I could find any software even *close* to it, I'd jump on it... but I haven't found anything that can do the Spectrum Analyzer or Phase Torch like they do... did.