Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2002, 10:10 AM

Default HELP....H/W Buffer Size @ 128 Samples or less DOENS\'T WORK AT ALL

Hello Friends,

I just got a 002 and I got a super weird crash on my system tonight. I run my 002 on a P3 1Ghz, 512 RAM with one firewire card dedicated for my 002. I’ve been running this for 10 days, and it was great until today. All began when I had a friend to come over and record some bass lines. He is a SHRED, and what happened is that he noticed some latency. Then I went to my Playback Engine and I put 256 samples. The problem was minimized, but not solved yet. Then I tried to put 128 samples and my system totally CRASHED. PT was unresponsive for several minutes, and then a message that an abnormal thing happened and the program would be turned off came. Well... I had turned off my PT and the FADERS on my 002 where in the same place still. (Every Time that I turned the program off, the faders would automatically go back to the bottom of the mixer) Then I restarted PT and I notice that I had not a thing came on the 002’s displays, and obviously the PT couldn’t find any hardware. After that I restarted the whole system again, even though I left the 002 off for 2 minutes before restart. I had a message that PT was trying to reconfigure my Playback Engine, and once again I got PT unresponsive and once again I had to restart my system. I started PT again and finally I got the program to work, but at this time my 002 was unresponsive by the program. Then when I went back to my Playback Engine and switched back to 256 samples and immediately I got a life signal from 002. All that sucks and my questions are, why can’t I use 128 samples or less on the playback engine with my 002? Is someone out there that has experienced the same problem? Is that any way to fix that? HELP PLEASE…. Latency Sucks!
[img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

MacPro 3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5 - Pro Tools Ultimate + HD Native + HD OMNI
MacBook Pro 2.9 GHz i7 16GB Ram (Retina, 15-inch, 2016) - Pro Tools Ultimate + Apollo Twin
iMac 27" 3.4 GHz i7 32GB Ram (Late 2012) - Pro Tools Ultimate + Mbox Pro (3rd gen)
Old 12-29-2002, 11:32 AM

Default Re: HELP....H/W Buffer Size @ 128 Samples or less DOENS\'T WORK AT ALL

Your PIII 1Ghz is too slow to run Pro Tools on XP at 128 or any buffer setting in my opinion. I tried going to XP with my PIII 1Ghz on Digi 001 and the performance went down the drain so I went back to 98se. Too bad you can't run 98se with Digi 002. [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
Old 12-30-2002, 12:55 AM

The best workaround in my opinion is to monitor recording via a seperate ouboard mixer and mute the output of the 002 of the track you are recording. That will keep the musicians relaxed. If you still have latency on playback, nudge the track back, either by hand till it sounds right or by using ctrl+ while clicking the dB box of the track in the mix window. A number will come up telling you the amount of samples you need to nudge.

Of course, if you don't have an outboard mixer, you may want to upgrade your computer instead....the choice is yours!

Dr.John
Old 12-30-2002, 04:04 AM

u are using low latency monitoring? (operations>low latency monitoring - put a check by it)

when i first installed protools the vocals had latency on them, making it hard to sing/rap. enabled low latency monitoring all has been gravy since.

and for some reason i pretty much have to keep buffer at 1024 samples for athlon xp 2000+ (iwill kk266 mb) 512 ram on xp, is this normal?

peace
Old 12-30-2002, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dallashiphopdotcom:
u are using low latency monitoring? (operations>low latency monitoring - put a check by it)

when i first installed protools the vocals had latency on them, making it hard to sing/rap. enabled low latency monitoring all has been gravy since.

and for some reason i pretty much have to keep buffer at 1024 samples for athlon xp 2000+ (iwill kk266 mb) 512 ram on xp, is this normal?

peace
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That's what i'm saying... Why my system doens't work with low buffer settings? I heard today that if you have tons of RAM, you will be able to record at high buffer settings, but if the processor is like a PIII, you will have problems to record at low buffer settings.... If you have your Buffer set up to 512 samples or more, it's more likely to get Latency... Anyone nows more about this?

Thanx you all
[img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

MacBook Pro 2.9 GHz i7 16GB Ram (Retina, 15-inch, 2016) - Pro Tools Ultimate + Apollo Twin
iMac 27" 3.4 GHz i7 32GB Ram (Late 2012) - Pro Tools Ultimate + Mbox Pro (3rd gen)
Old 12-30-2002, 09:14 PM

are you using low latency monitoring? (i'll reask)

i have a athlon 1800+ and have no problems recording 16 tracks at the same time using 128 buffer and withOUT low latency monitoring (windows me, digi001, ga-7dx). So I doubt this should be a problem with an xp 2000+.
Old 12-30-2002, 09:29 PM

I'm not using because when i check the low latency mode, i have no sound coming out of my monitors at all... Might be a stupid mistake, or a MAJOR bug.... I'm still trying to find a solution here...
[img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Old 12-30-2002, 09:35 PM

But the real problem remains... When i apply buffer 128 or less my whole system crashes pretty bad....

Old 12-30-2002, 09:47 PM

I just got another problem. I just tried to apply the low latency mode. For some reason doens't work when i use s/pdif as an input. Also nothing of the midis comes out on the monitors... All that i hear it's just the [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] regular audio tracks. Not even the sampletank drums as a aux output for midi works. Does anyone have the same problem?

Old 12-31-2002, 03:02 PM
Avid

Roger,

When you use Low Latency Monitoring, Aux tracks and plug-ins are not being used. This is why you can not hear your midi instruments as they are being returned on auxs. Slower machines are not able to run the lower buffer settings correctly. For your machine I would suggest a HW buffer of atleast 256 or higher.

regards,
mike