Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2013, 04:37 AM

Default New hard drive for ProTools system, non iLok plugins no longer authorized!?

I'm running a PTLE6.4/Digi001 system where I just bought a new hard drive for the system drive due to a failure on the previous drive.

I was very pleased to see that the image restore from my previous drive worked great and put me back on my feet, but when I start ProTools it no longer recognizes the authorization on the plug-ins that I've purchased that aren't stored on the iLok system (Waves gold bundle, Waves RennMaxx bundle, T-Racks, etc.).

Even when I try to use the Wave authorization tool and enter my previous "response" code that I had been given before, it says the code is not valid.

Were the authorizations tied to that physical hard drive in some way that I can't just port over to this new hard drive through the image restore?

I'm praying this isn't something Waves would screw me over and make me pay for some WUP package just to re-authorize the software I've already paid for, is it?

Any ideas would be great. Thanks.
Fitter, Happier Studios...
Old 08-15-2013, 05:21 AM

Default Re: New hard drive for ProTools system, non iLok plugins no longer authorized!?

I would get a hold of Waves tech support and explain the situation. They should issue a new code. Or help you with the current one. AFAIK there's no need to update your now vintage bundle or pay WUP since your stuck on version 4-5 or so.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 08-15-2013, 05:28 AM

Default Re: New hard drive for ProTools system, non iLok plugins no longer authorized!?

Thanks. Yeah, I started with an email to them but haven't heard back yet. When I went on the site to see where my authorizations were already noted (and thankfully they still are) it mentioned that my "updated plan" had expired and to purchase new "coverage" (don't know if that means support, too) was $180!
Old 08-15-2013, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrohead View Post
Thanks. Yeah, I started with an email to them but haven't heard back yet. When I went on the site to see where my authorizations were already noted (and thankfully they still are) it mentioned that my "updated plan" had expired and to purchase new "coverage" (don't know if that means support, too) was $180!
Well the Waves Update Plan includes a year of tech support. While there's no need to update your bundle since your locked at 6.4 I suppose they might want you to WUP up for "free" tech support. You used to be able to purchase a new plug of equal or greater value than the Update Plan amount and it would cover any existing products too. I would wait for waves to get back to you.

Two thoughts. Are you copying and pasting the auth code? You might have better luck doing that. A huge amount of auth code errors are simple data entry errors. Been there, done that.

If your drive has a name longer than 7 letters including spaces it can result in the loss of plug in authorizations. While this should be limited to iLoked plugs you might try shortening the drive name and see if it makes a difference. I would only do this if you have iLoked plugs. If all your plugs are challenge and response there should be no need.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 08-15-2013, 07:06 AM

I'm sorry to hear of your predicament, and I hope it all gets works out. But I thought I'd take this opportunity to remind all the iLok haters (which are usually non Pro Toolers, btw), this is precisely the kind of reason why I am such a ardent supporter of iLok. As opposed to those who say they'll never buy a plugin which requires a dongle, I'm exactly the opposite: I have to seriously debate purchasing a plugin that isn't dongle protected.

Sorry, don't want to hijack your thread, just soapboxing for a bit.

Again, hope your situation works out.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrohead View Post
I was very pleased to see that the image restore from my previous drive worked great and put me back on my feet, but when I start ProTools it no longer recognizes the authorization on the plug-ins
What type of image did you restore from?
In all my years I have never had a image that didn't restore me to full functionality on either Mac or Windows.

The result you are describing is more like what you get from a backup not an image.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:26 AM

For me, the only thing that fails to transfer when I restore from an image is the IK Multimedia authorizations. Hopefully, Waves will step up and get you going again

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-15-2013, 12:16 PM

Well I called Waves... and they told me that they cannot support any previous version that old to even issue me a new authorization code (which I can't believe). They basically told me all I can do is pay for an upgrade to version 9... which of course means I would have to buy an all new computer and an all new Digi interface (neither of which I have money for or want to do).

He said even with a hard drive restored from image or backup that it won't transfer the authorization file because someone could simply "restore" 10 different hard drives and copy all the license files to someone for free.

So if this happened years ago when they had that version supported, they could take care of me, but now they refuse to do anything to help.

I have a very hard time believing they can't provide a license file or whatever hidden file the computer looks at to allow the plugins to be used (even if it is an old version) but went back and forth with the guy for 15 minutes and asked to speak to his manager or someone else (... he was the "manager"), and he said all I could do is upgrade to v9, buy a whole new computer and whole new Digi interface.

Needless to say, that's not going to happen.

Is there anything I could do or be missing here? I've never (ever) dabbled in cracked or stolen plugins, but how do they get around the license file issues?

Very frustrated.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKI View Post
What type of image did you restore from?
In all my years I have never had a image that didn't restore me to full functionality on either Mac or Windows.

The result you are describing is more like what you get from a backup not an image.
SKI,
this is a acronis true image that i built a while back. it's a single "image file" that it created. am I missing something?
Old 08-16-2013, 10:11 AM

Well I use 2011 on Win7 and I always create a new image never use incremental.
When I restore I always boot from the CD and recover whole disk.
The setting for Universal Restore is still strange because sometimes it causes me issues and sometimes it doesn't.
Be sure to select Recover Disk Signature.

When I was using older versions of PT on older versions of Windows I always used Ghost and never had problems with the authorizations using that as well.

As a long term Waves user I will say that since 2000 I have seen so many changes in how things install and authorize that I can understand what they are trying to say.
We started out on those white HAPS dongles, went to Challenge Response, then iLok, then the choice of iLok or Challenge and now the hard drive or Cloud authorization.
All had different installation and authorization systems that are no longer in place.
I had the same problem with my Sonic Foundry products after the Sony purchase.
I couldn't authorize any of their EFX plugs that I had purchased to use in Sound Forge, VEGAS or ACID and my CD Architect couldn't identify drives.
Ended up moving to the Sony versions since the authorization server no longer existed.
Only good thing was they had made the add on products part of the normal products.

If it comes down to you really not getting things resolved you should log into your Waves account and request special pricing or contact their sales department not the support department for options.