Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2018, 06:36 AM

Default Benefits of Avid Native Thunderbolt over a USB interface?

Yesterday I was kicking around ideas for a little basement post suite at home. No recording, just editing and mixing with PT Ultimate (which I already have).

I've got room acoustics figured out, have some good ideas about monitors, but I paused when I got to the interface.

Essentially all the interface has to do in my setting is output six channels of audio -- five monitors and a sub. It's unlikely I'd ever use any inputs.

Other than low-latency input monitoring, which seems to only be beneficial to someone who's listening while recording, is there some advantage to the Avid Native+Omni over a typical USB interface like, say, MOTU, Apogee, RME, etc.?

The reason I ask is that one can get a really nice interface that meets simple needs like mine for about half the price of an HD Native Thunderbolt box with an Omni interface (Apogee Symphony), and a "decent" alternative for half that (MOTU).

To someone for whom low-latency tracking isn't needed, is there any benefit to the Native rig? Is there something I'm missing?
Old 10-05-2018, 07:42 AM

Default Re: Benefits of Avid Native Thunderbolt over a USB interface?

There is no advantage that I can see. I have a home 5.1 mix studio setup just using PT Ultimate with 002. I’m gonna need to upgrade to a newer interface soon but all I need is 6-8 analog outputs for monitoring.

I’ve been looking at the Focusrite 18i20 for the upgrade. I’ll never use the mic pre’s but it will at least give me the outputs I need.

There are others on my list, like the PreSonus Quantum.
Old 10-05-2018, 07:49 AM

Hi Lorin,
I've been doing my "at home" edits and mixes on the venerable 002r for ages.
Never really felt any constrain working this way.
The only limits I've always have to deal with are the untreated acoustics of the room I'm working in (two strange creatures have taken full control of the spare bedroom... they're called children!!!!), smaller scale so smaller monitoring (I'm on Genelec 1030s as my LCR)....

Right now I'm looking into upgrading my audio interface to accomodate higher number of outputs to start getting my hands on Atmos projects.

I've also successfully worked without an audio interface by going straight out via HDMI to an AV receiver. Just a basic setup of a Mac Pro, video projector and a Yamaha receiver.... very low end, but that's ok as secondary home setup.

Cheers
Old 10-05-2018, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V5V View Post

To someone for whom low-latency tracking isn't needed, is there any benefit to the Native rig? Is there something I'm missing?
You won't be able to genlock your rig and you won't have voice usage info in the system usage. Not 100% sure about pull up and down as I never had a non-PT interface rig but might apply too.

Also Satellite with 100% sync isn't supported. Also you're limited to maximum amount of physical I/O I think with core audio. But again not sure.
Old 10-05-2018, 09:16 AM

I just picked up a used Omni and a Native TB Core for a good price. I already had a PT Ultimate license which came with a DigiLink I/O license since it was an upgrade from an old HD system. The converters on the Omni are the same as the HD I/O (i.e. very nice), and I really like having the monitor controller built in and calibrate-able with a digital SPL readout.
The downside for me, since I am using a laptop, is that the TB Core doesn't support sleep mode. So I can't just turn my speakers off and close my laptop if I want to walk away, I need to fully disconnect the TB Core or shutdown my computer or it will kernel panic.

Last edited by originalscottyg; 10-05-2018 at 09:27 AM.
Old 10-05-2018, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
You won't be able to genlock your rig
Good point. Does that really matter for a stand-alone workstation, though? It won't be ingesting from or playing out to other equipment, nor playing duets with devices other than the audio interface. Even if I add an AJA video box, it will be locking to the same clock source as the audio interface -- the computer itself.

Quote:
Not 100% sure about pull up and down as I never had a non-PT interface rig but might apply too.
I have had the incredible good fortune to have so far been spared having to deal with that particular brand of Hell-on-Earth, so I'm not sure either, but I'm pretty sure Ultimate handles that in software. At least I hope it does, because now that I've mentioned not having to deal with it you just KNOW it's going to come up soon...

Quote:
Also Satellite with 100% sync isn't supported.
Heck, I can't afford even the Omni, much less another computer dedicated to playing video! I'll have to make do with spitting it out of the same computer as the audio.

Quote:
Also you're limited to maximum amount of physical I/O I think with core audio.
True. That won't be a problem for me since my total I/O requirements are six out and zero in, but your point is taken.

Last edited by V5V; 10-06-2018 at 04:24 AM.
Old 10-05-2018, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresler View Post
I've also successfully worked without an audio interface by going straight out via HDMI to an AV receiver. Just a basic setup of a Mac Pro, video projector and a Yamaha receiver.... very low end, but that's ok as secondary home setup.
That's actually what started the trek I'm on -- I got a good deal on a Denon receiver that has line-level channel outputs on XLR connectors instead of speaker outputs. Just an HDMI cable from the MacBook Pro and I'm in business.

The problem with that approach is there's no way to mute individual channels, which is something I do a lot. I often solo the surrounds, center, or sub. That got me thinking about dusting off my old SPL monitor controller, which got me thinking about whether I'd be better off with a dedicated audio interface. I haven't decided yet.
Old 10-05-2018, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalscottyg View Post
I just picked up a used Omni and a Native TB Core for a good price. I already had a PT Ultimate license which came with a DigiLink I/O license since it was an upgrade from an old HD system. The converters on the Omni are the same as the HD I/O (i.e. very nice), and I really like having the monitor controller built in and calibrate-able with a digital SPL readout.
The downside for me, since I am using a laptop, is that the TB Core doesn't support sleep mode. So I can't just turn my speakers off and close my laptop if I want to walk away, I need to fully disconnect the TB Core or shutdown my computer or it will kernel panic.
I'll be working from a MacBook Pro, so the tip about sleep mode is helpful, thank you!

I was also drawn to the monitor controller, but since it doesn't have mute/solo switches for individual or various combinations of channels I'd have to use an outboard monitor controller anyway, making the one in the Omni redundant.

Thanks for sharing!
Old 10-06-2018, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V5V View Post
That's actually what started the trek I'm on -- I got a good deal on a Denon receiver that has line-level channel outputs on XLR connectors instead of speaker outputs. Just an HDMI cable from the MacBook Pro and I'm in business.

The problem with that approach is there's no way to mute individual channels, which is something I do a lot. I often solo the surrounds, center, or sub. That got me thinking about dusting off my old SPL monitor controller, which got me thinking about whether I'd be better off with a dedicated audio interface. I haven't decided yet.
On the same boat on this as well. I'm on the market for a low end monitor controller for my 002 and Genelec combo and am looking into SPL or SM Pro M-Patch. I did try a few years back working with the pre out of an old 7.1 receiver, but quality wise it was a train wreck... it sounded terrible and thin.
How was your experience with the Denon and what did you connect to it?
Old 10-06-2018, 06:55 AM

Why use the hdmi out when the macbook pro has a perfectly fine digital optical output from the headphone jack? Most home receivers have optical inputs. Then you can still use the HDMI for video. Unless, i suppose, you’re passing both audio and video through the receiver from the MB through HDMI. But then i would worry about latency incurred through the receiver.